PDA

View Full Version : LBT 170gr SP ???

mroliver77
03-04-2008, 05:41 PM
I bought two molds from a fellow on Ebay while Veral was away a couple years ago. I got one sprueplate with two molds. The one mold a 150gr LFN casts wonderful boolits with pot or ladle. The 170 just gives me fits. My WW and WW/range scrap alloy will not cast worth a darn from it. With a ladle I can get about 50%weighed and inspected keepers. With Linotype this goes up to 80-90%. With a bottom pour I can barely get any keepers. I tried touching spout, close to, 1", 2" away from spout. Hot, cold or in between dont get it. Mold is clean, I have looked it over with magnifying glass and found vents open. I get a funky length ways wrinkle in some of the ogives just before the body and the worst offense is the bases are very hard to fill out. I eased the mold tops a little and this seemed to help but still I get holes in the base or bad spots. Holding to the spout I will get a tiny flash from easing line at block tops and still get a bad base. Only thing I can think of is to open the holes in sprue plate. Only mold I have not been able to make work right. Any sugestions. Any data on sprueplate hole size compared to boolit caliber/weight? Dunka,
J

MGySgt
03-04-2008, 08:43 PM
I had bought a couple of 45 3 bangers and only one had a sprue plate. I sent it to Veral and he put a new sprue plate on and I think only charged $25 plus shipping.

I would send it to Veral and see what he can do with it.

Drew