PDA

View Full Version : Dress color, what did you see?

oldred
03-02-2015, 07:48 AM
I am going to assume that by now most have seen that dress color argument on the news, the one where some folks see one color while others see another. I and my wife both see blue/black while our daughter sees white/gold so I decided just for fun to see if this is real or just people joking with each other. I sent copies (sure was a boring weekend with all this snow!) of it to several people who hadn't yet heard about this and sure enough it's true, some saw blue/black and a couple of them saw white/gold! These folks were unaware of the story and I simply asked them to look at this picture and tell me what color it is, it was about a 50-50 split.

Just found this quite interesting and like I said it was boring weekend stuck back here on the ridge in all this snow. :razz:

NC_JEFF
03-02-2015, 08:06 AM
Blue n black for me. But I was wrong again because my wife said it is gold n white

jcwit
03-02-2015, 08:17 AM
Without a doubt. Gold & White.

472x1B/A
03-02-2015, 09:03 AM
Blue / Black for me.

2muchstuf
03-02-2015, 09:07 AM
Gold and pale blue here.

head for the hills
03-02-2015, 10:06 AM
Powder blue and gold-brown.

Bad Water Bill
03-02-2015, 10:52 AM
GUYS

Please keep in mind that many males are partially or completely color blind or so I was told many years ago.

For some reason women do not suffer this problem.

Besides NEVER ARGUE WITH A WOMAN.

M-Tecs
03-02-2015, 11:03 AM
Gold and pale blue

Love Life
03-02-2015, 11:06 AM
I prefer to imagine that the dress is not there...

WILCO
03-02-2015, 11:15 AM
Haha!

reloader28
03-02-2015, 11:44 AM
It was without a doubt blue/black.
Anyone who says otherwise is just doing it to argue.

:kidding:

groovy mike
03-02-2015, 11:48 AM
read it had more to do with the background behind what you were looking at than what was in your head....

bubba.50
03-02-2015, 11:49 AM
no matter what color ya see, that's one butt-ugly dress so I don't see why anyone would even care what color it is.

1Shirt
03-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Who with any common sense cares!
1Shirt!

lancem
03-02-2015, 12:01 PM
I must live too far out in the boonies as I have no clue what you are talking about. For a second I thought gee I need to get out more, then I realized no I don't...

Rick Hodges
03-02-2015, 12:29 PM
Blue and bronze...lol....yep that is the way i saw it.

therealhitman
03-02-2015, 12:44 PM
I had no idea WTH you guys were talking about. Now I'm just a little freaked out as this dress has changed colors back and forth on me for 10 minutes now! Glance away it's blue, glance back it's white. Is it a GIF masquerading as a jpeg in a hoax? What is up?

therealhitman
03-02-2015, 12:50 PM
Who with any common sense cares!
1Shirt!

No, man. It's not a social media/celebrity stupidity thing. They just have to attach those names to every damn story anymore. I read "Kardashian" and almost stopped reading. But then it happened. Look 1shirt...what colors?

Where's WILCO? Somebody start a poll.

runfiverun
03-02-2015, 02:03 PM
it's white and gold/brass whatever.
the shadows make it look like a blue tint.
if you use two contrasting tinted shades of the same color, the colors will appear as one base color but tinted differently depending on the light source.
the two tints will appear as one color to your eye, so you blend them to make one color.

I done this same thing in a room in my house some years ago using 2 different tinted shades of white, yellow and blue.
the rooms brightness and mood would change throughout the day as the sun passed over head.
some of the white colors would tint blue and the lighter blue would shade over appearing brighter or darker depending on where the sun was, and the yellow would go from a light reflective happy color in the morning to a matte type almost gold/orange like the sunset in the evening.
it freaked people out if they took an afternoon nap in there, they thought they were in a different room when they woke up.

bob208
03-02-2015, 02:08 PM
I think it did make her butt look fat.

Dan Cash
03-02-2015, 02:22 PM
What the heck are you guys talking about?

M-Tecs
03-02-2015, 02:32 PM
What the heck are you guys talking about?

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/02/28/science/white-or-blue-dress.html?_r=0

RogerDat
03-02-2015, 02:55 PM
Absent any clues from background or "know" colors such as skin tones our eye / brain circuitry has no way to white balance (subtract the color of the ambient light). Dress being right on the edge of a color boundary peoples brains decide interpret the light as being high/bright or low/dim and that automatic process makes the colors perceived shift.

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/science-one-agrees-color-dress/

I did not try to answer, I'm still studying for the test my wife will give me next time she "suggests" I wear the blue/black pants or the green/brown ones with some color shirt that I have to pick out of a somewhat dim closet. I get those colors wrong all the time. As in those aren't your dark blue pants those are your black pants.... or vice versa.

Beerd
03-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Really WILCO, really?
Hold it, this is a poll isn't it?

Cmm_3940
03-02-2015, 04:16 PM
I see 'indeterminate' and 's****y camera', which mostly appears white/gold to me. Even knowing it is in fact blue/black. Someone posted the actual catalog picture on another forum. It is a very deep, dark blue with black trim.

Smoke4320
03-02-2015, 04:22 PM
A news team tracked down the actual dress in a store on their camera it was a dark blue and Black

Cowboy_Dan
03-02-2015, 04:27 PM
As a philosopher, I just want to remind everyone that there isn't "really" any color "in the world", color is merely the way YOUR brain experiences light. I have seen scientific arguments which suggest that if you were a dog, then color would be the way your brain experiences smells.

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion.

GaryN
03-02-2015, 04:39 PM
I think it is a blue dress with a stain on it.

waynem34
03-02-2015, 05:04 PM
Poll it? why is the ! so far away from the ? Poll!?

altheating
03-02-2015, 05:06 PM
I hope spring gets here very soon, maybe we can start talking about shooting Boolits, making lube, casting and gun stuff. That dress probably wouldn't even make good cleaning patches.

JSnover
03-02-2015, 06:21 PM
I didn't see any colors at all... Ya buncha racists!

popper
03-02-2015, 06:27 PM
Blue with black trim and I am certified colorblind. We see reflected light that varies with texture and ambient lighting. The mind just 'names' the color we see.

therealhitman
03-02-2015, 06:35 PM
I didn't see any colors at all... Ya buncha racists!

Genius!

Garyshome
03-02-2015, 09:05 PM
Blue & Black.

1911cherry
03-02-2015, 09:12 PM
For three days it was white and gold , then yesterday a single picture of it was black and blue.

bhn22
03-02-2015, 10:05 PM
Your perception is your reality. It's gold and white.

Beagle333
03-02-2015, 10:13 PM
Gold and white. Definitely. I have been shown the picture a 1000 times at work and asked my opinion.... it's the same every time.

Cmm_3940
03-02-2015, 10:17 PM
For three days it was white and gold , then yesterday a single picture of it was black and blue.

Rough three day weekend?

dilly
03-02-2015, 10:20 PM
My wife died laughing when she heard that this picture made it on this website.

JWFilips
03-02-2015, 10:45 PM
I saw a total waste of Network and internet bandwith!

dragon813gt
03-02-2015, 10:48 PM
I can't believe they ran a story on the Friday evening news about it. It's not a news story. Why was it on the news? Oh that's right, because the news is supposed to entertain instead or inform.

Back to the topic. They interviewed the dress designer. The color is Royal Blue and Black. Say what you will but that's what color the dress really is.

fatelk
03-02-2015, 11:15 PM
Interesting. I didn't have a clue what you all were talking about until I read the links. My poor old brain saw gold and white; very, very clearly without question.

The whole social media aspect of it I truly couldn't care less about. What some stupid celebrity think about it doesn't matter to me at all. What fascinates me is the medical/psychological aspect.

Our brains interpret things differently and I can see how the original photo is blue and black washed out in bright sunlight. What interests me is that some people can somehow instinctively see the true colors through the sun-bleach, whereas no matter how many times I look at the original photo, even knowing the true colors, all I see are white and gold.

Hannibal
03-02-2015, 11:54 PM
I've looked at it 4 times today. Twice it was black/blue, twice it was white/gold. Same photo. :veryconfu

facetious
03-03-2015, 05:49 AM

It is one of those optical illusion things. Tilt your screen up and down and it will change color.

oldred
03-03-2015, 10:47 AM
I think it did make her butt look fat.

Just for the record that fat butt is on a Mannequin and just a torso one at that :mrgreen:

Like I said fellows it was a boring weekend with all this snow on the ground and my being stuck back here on the ridge with cabin fever, this is extremely rare for this neck of the woods! Not only have we been snowed in for 2 weeks now but more is possibly on the way in the next day or two just as my drive is finally starting to clear (well turn into mud anyway :sad:), it's been over 15 years since we have had any significant snowfall but it has sure made up for lost time! The good news is that it's supposed to be in the 60's and I even saw a forecast of 71 in just a few days! Most folks have been freed from the snow jam for days now but that freak icing that occurred and then snowed under followed a few days later by yet another freeze/snow cycle has left my long steep and shaded driveway impassable even with 4 wheel drive, my 2 wheel drive Ranger pickup with chains can get around on it but only barely.

MT Gianni
03-03-2015, 11:58 PM
My solution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1zBG2TEjn4

BAGTIC
03-08-2015, 12:58 PM
I see white/gold and no I am not color blind. After seeing side by side pictures of the various possible combinations I conclude that even if not accurate the white/gold still looks the best.

MtGun44
03-09-2015, 12:44 PM
What in the world are you guys talking about?

OK, I went and found the link.

Clearly blue and black, and then my "who care's" self cuts in.

fatnhappy
03-10-2015, 07:34 AM
I dunno, but it looks better on the floor.

Pipefitter
03-10-2015, 09:47 AM
"Blue, with a white stain."

Bill Clinton

bangerjim
03-10-2015, 01:04 PM
I use x-ray glasses and see right thru it! :bigsmyl2:

Who cares what color it is. Depends on the light, camera, filter, etc. I can make any color look like any other color with Photoshop.

banger-j

fatelk
03-10-2015, 08:32 PM
Depends on the light, camera, filter, etc. I can make any color look like any other color with Photoshop

True, and I've seen versions of the original photo that do just that. The issue with the original photo is that two different people could look at the exact same photo and see very different things.

Clearly blue and black, and then my "who care's" self cuts in
To my eyes and my brain, it's clearly white and gold, and can't fathom how anyone could possibly see it otherwise. My wife sees it as clearly blue and black too, and gets openly frustrated that I see it differently. Something about the specific shades of colors and perceived shading of light causes different brains to perceive the colors very differently.

ADDED: apologies in advance for the following barely-relevant ramblings-

It's interesting to me in another sense, that has nothing to do with dresses, or even colors for that matter.

We all, every one of us, see ourselves as reasonable, logical, intelligent individuals (maybe some more than others :)). We all have disagreements from time to time (definitely some more than others) where we just cannot understand how the person we're arguing could possibly see things their way. How in the world can they be so stupid, or ignorant, or possibly insane?!?

It's especially true for political or religious issues (What are those liberals THINKING?). So much of the time we just can't comprehend how someone could possibly see things so completely different from how we do. It makes it so much easier, and lets us be more comfortable with our own beliefs, if we just write them off as crazy or evil, doesn't it?

Maybe it's mostly because our brains are wired differently? Our brains perceive the exact same input quite differently based on genetics, upbringing, beliefs, experiences, emotions, etc.. (I think that might explain women:))

In some ways understanding this helps me understand others, maybe makes me a little more tolerant of those I don't agree with. I don't have to see it their way, buy maybe I can kind of understand why they see it the way they do. Kind of make sense?

Anyhow, it's just something that piqued my interest so I thought I'd share my long-winded , meandering musings on the subject.

By the way, no matter how many times I am told that for a fact in reality the dress is blue, I still see it as white and gold. This is disturbing, and plants something in the back of my mind that no matter how certain of myself I may be on any given subject, the possibility might exist that I could still be wrong. How weird is that?

MtGun44
03-10-2015, 10:50 PM
Looked again, different computer, different tube. The first one was on a
laptop and it was clear to me that it was blue and black. Tonight, looking
at the desktop with a bigger and brighter monitor - it is clearly white and
gold. Gack!

The wife saw it first on the desktop, says light blue and off-green....???
Even after looking again at the laptop (where it appears to be blue and black
tonight, too) she says there is no way she can see it as white and gold.

WEIRD.

fatnhappy
03-11-2015, 03:29 PM
There's an entire industry built around quantifying and controlling color. I spent an awful large chunk of my professional life managing and modifying color in print shops. Matter of fact I happen to be on the cover of February's PIA cover. The entire conversation about dress color is silly since people perceive and manipulate it so readily.