PDA

View Full Version : Benjamin Discovery info Sought

TCLouis
03-01-2015, 03:46 PM
Anyone have one?

How does it perform?

The guy with all of the youtube videos said 1" at 50 yards . . . Is that close to fact?

Ho well does the pump hold up?

Can one buy extra barrel and have 177 and 22?

Main use is grackles at 15 and 57 yards and hopefully some squirrels next fall.

It is this rifle or one of the springer/gas piston guns.

JonnyReb
03-01-2015, 04:26 PM
The Discovery is quite a good rifle and you can make it into an awesome one

Yes with practice, proper break-in, the right pellet and lots of pumping you'll find 1" groups possible in low wind conditions. After getting it dialed in you'll do better than that probably. At 25 yards it can hole-in-one 5 shots with favored ammo. This after much shooting, trial and error etc.

You can certainly swap barrels on the gun, its fairly well made but had to many plastic parts on it for me, metal replacements for all of it are available from various online sellers. The pump is kinda low end but does work. I use an FX pump or used to use a Hill, both of which are an improvement. Look to pump allot, its a workout believe me. Lots of people switch to a scuba tank after awhile.

The only rifle in the same price range i like better is the pcp from Flying Dragon air rifles, is a chinese made gun and so is the pump but i think they're just as accurate, cost less and are more powerful than the stock disco. More metal on em too. They are sturdier than the disco i think but with aftermarket parts added the disco is more than comparable and probably better..

If you want one get it and enjoy, as with most folks you'll probably find it leads to a whole new shooting addiction. Airgunning has come into its own recently and the new products available are not much short of amazing.

melloairman
03-01-2015, 10:57 PM
They are good little rifles . My .177 is now a .250 . Shoots 61 grain bullets over 850 fps . Have thought about another .22 stocker for pest control .Marvin

HARRYMPOPE
03-02-2015, 12:03 AM
my 22 discovery was easily filled with the benjamin hand pump. with 14.3 Crosman pellets was about an inch and a half gun at 50 yards. Very easy to shoot, much more so than a spring rifle. I never should have sold that gun.

billyb
03-02-2015, 09:01 PM
My son has the 22 and I have the .177./ Both are quite accurate. He bought the combo with the pump. It is a work out! He bought me a scuba tank at the local dive shop, and is the way to go. Tank was 169. and the valve and hose was another hundred. His shot the Polymag predator real well. My Disco .177 shoots the JSB Diabolo exact 10.34 grain pellets to great effect on the cow birds. I have taken three with one shot when lined up properly. I shoot at 70 feet. The .177 with Diabolo pellets average 950 over my Croney. I am very pleased with mine. Bill

Wilson
03-02-2015, 09:48 PM
I have two. They are very good, especially for the price and can be easily up graded. I have one that shoots Poly Predators well, the group can be covered with a dime at 30 yards. I added a trigger from the Marauder to that one and it is my go to hunting air gun. I got it used for about $170. The other shots JSBs very well and is my loaner when I take friends and family out.

melloairman
03-03-2015, 11:01 PM
I have two. They are very good, especially for the price and can be easily up graded. I have one that shoots Poly Predators well, the group can be covered with a dime at 30 yards. I added a trigger from the Marauder to that one and it is my go to hunting air gun. I got it used for about $170. The other shots JSBs very well and is my loaner when I take friends and family out.
I resent my first message to you . I see you received the second one . Hope you receive this one .Marvin

HARRYMPOPE
03-04-2015, 10:23 AM
I never thought pumping a disco was hard work.

Smoke4320
03-04-2015, 01:55 PM
Discos are great guns and there are many many upgrades you can do to them..

2" groups and smaller are very possible at 50 yards .. Smaller if you have the right scope and a steady hold

with a Simmons 6x21x44 44 mag scope with adjustable objective I have shot several 2" 100 Yd groups (off a bench with good bags, no wind) with its big brother the marauder

RoyEllis
03-05-2015, 10:46 PM
I haven't shot a Disco, but my .22 SynRod (now that it's tuned) will keep a 15 shot string in less than 1/2" @ 50yds using JSB Exact Jumbo Diabolo 15.89gr pellets unless it's a bit windy. I don't even pick up a .22lr for squirrel hunting anymore, just make sure the tank is aired up on the marauder.