PDA

View Full Version : Ideal loading tools

exblaster
03-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Were Ideal loading tools ever marked for caliber? I am referring to the handles being marked as to the caliber of the loading set.

Exblaster

floodgate
03-04-2008, 02:05 PM
exblaster:

If you are talking about the tong tools, yes - all the older nickeled steel-handled ones, and all but the last two production runs of steel handles through the mid-50's with the plum-colored "blueing", were marked with the caliber. A few made in the mid-'50's were just marked with a single number corresponding to the 310 adapter die number code ("1" for .38/.357, "2" for the '06 head size, "6" for the .30-30 family, etc.) but these are scarce and much sought by collectors; and then in the last batch before the aluminum ones, they had the replaceable case-head insert and were just marked "S" and "L" for short and long die seats (and a very few "LS" or "SPL" for the oversize dies for .348, 8mm Lebel, .50-70, etc.; these are collectors items, too). The aluminum ones are not marked at all, but again, use the screw-in adapters and come in "long" or "short" form (and also a few in the special oversize form).

Are you looking for a specific caliber? Or do you have a tool you want to identify? If so, post here AND PM me and I'll try to help.

floodgate

exblaster
03-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Floodgate thank you for the information. I just picked up an Ideal tool stamped 257 Rem. It is in .257 Roberts. I know that Remington standardized the Roberts and that it was called the .257 Remington early on maybe in the late 30'sand was wondering if the markings were original.
Thanks again for your help.

Exblaster