PDA

View Full Version : Ardesa 45 cal Pennsylvania Flntlock mainspring.

dromia
02-28-2015, 04:08 PM
Picked up one of these along with a 50 cal Ardesa Hawken yesterday for a very friendly price for the two.

The main spring on the Flinter is a bit tired though and barely opens the frizzen.

Is there any simple way of reinvigorating the spring, getting a replacement over here will not be easy.

waksupi
02-28-2015, 04:20 PM
I've never heard of that brand. What exactly is the lock doing? Sometimes the frizzen rebounds so quickly, some don't think it is opening. To check, put the frizzen in the fired position, and place your thumb so it barely contacts. Then cock and fire the lock. If it is simply rebounding, you will feel it, and the frizzen should stop in the open position.
Dixie Gun Works would probably be the best bet to find a replacement.

dromia
02-28-2015, 04:49 PM
No rebound, you can feel how weak the spring is on cocking. It definitely lacks authority.

Dixie don't have Ardesa parts, the Italian repro parts look similar but it seems a lot to pay to have a spring shipped over here with Dixies surcharges on the off chance it will fit.

ejcrist
02-28-2015, 05:31 PM
I'm not familiar with that brand either. Is there anything special about it's mainspring or is it like the springs on a large Siler? If it's like the Siler I'd check the usual sources such as Track of the Wolf, Jim Chambers, etc. I'm not aware of anything you can do to revive it.

bubba.50
02-28-2015, 06:15 PM
Ardesa was one of the Spanish makers of CVA guns like the Kentucky with the two-piece stock & others.

JSnover
02-28-2015, 06:37 PM
I'd hit the gunsmithing section, see if you can re-temper your spring. Seems like a propane torch and a bit of oil would work.