PDA

View Full Version : Lead Buildup 0n A Break

sw282
02-27-2015, 11:57 PM
So l have been aggravated lately by lead buildup on the brake of my S&W 629 Magnum Hunter. Likely more of an annoyance than a problem..After about 1500 rds of cast boolits it was really bugging me.. Most of the ammo fired came from bullets cast of wheel weights and range lead.. Sized to .430 and 6 gr of TiteGroup.. lt was then l happened upon a thread where a poster suggested a few bullets fed by a Magnum load of either H110, LilGun, or 2400. l tried them and lt worked.. Every range session l will shoot a cylinder full loaded with magnum powder...
No more brake dingleberries

sw282
03-01-2015, 05:25 AM
Went up to our Silhouette range and shot over 200 rds of cast midrange 44 loads, ringing a few chickens @ 50 meters. Took some rams out at the 200 meter bank too. l shot some mild loads with 7.5 gr of Trail Boss with a 220gr H&G mold that were quite accurate. There was a good bit of lead built up on the brake, so l decided to try and clean it off with Magnum Force Loads. l brought along a box of Hornady 225gr FTX ammo. This is the shortened factory 44 brass that l reloaded using LilGun,225 FTX 44 bullets and data from Hornady Manual.. l am here to report that LilGun cleaned that brake spotless clean

freebullet
03-01-2015, 06:36 AM
Good trick thanks for sharing.

03-01-2015, 09:18 AM
Always learning here: I'm unfamiliar with the term "brake". What part are you referring to?

tomme boy
03-01-2015, 09:48 AM
Muzzle break is what he is talking about. But I doubt it is lead that is on the break. It is probably antimony. That's what has been on every break I have ever had.

BruceB
03-01-2015, 11:50 AM
A "BRAKE" IS A DEVICE TO SLOW SOMETHING DOWN.

In firearms, a device mounted on the muzzle uses powder gases , directed rearward to conter the forces of recoil..... in other words. to BRAKE the recoil impulse.

It's called a "muzzle BRAKE', repeat: "BRAKE"

It is NOT, NOT, repeat; NOT called a "break".... which is something entirely different.

Let's get it straight, please. Correct terminology is important, even if some people don't think so.

tomme boy
03-01-2015, 09:29 PM
Excuse me for the auto correct on my phone for typing the word break. I'm sorry it breaks your heart for someone to misspell a word that they did not mean to.

Someones panties are sure bound up tonight

BruceB
03-01-2015, 10:06 PM
[QUOTE=tomme boy;3160753]Someones panties are sure bound up tonight[/QUOTE

Yeah, I'll admit to that.

After decades of seeing this misuse DAILY, by people who really should know better,it's hard to find enough patience to tolerate it. It's not a spelling mistake, it's an error in naming the parts involved.

Terminology IS important, both for accuracy in technical pursuits and the impression the writer leaves with others.

So.... your device really won't allow the use of the common term, "brake"? That's odd, to say the least.

I am sorry that it happened to be your post that tripped my sear; I always read your input with interest.

labradigger1
03-03-2015, 05:48 PM
I love and hate auto correct at the same time. Camt we ull jest git along? Lol

Harter66
03-03-2015, 06:39 PM
Sham on ewe that wasn't punny. :) Very much.

Dan Cash
03-03-2015, 06:44 PM
A "BRAKE" IS A DEVICE TO SLOW SOMETHING DOWN.

In firearms, a device mounted on the muzzle uses powder gases , directed rearward to conter the forces of recoil..... in other words. to BRAKE the recoil impulse.

It's called a "muzzle BRAKE', repeat: "BRAKE"

It is NOT, NOT, repeat; NOT called a "break".... which is something entirely different.

Let's get it straight, please. Correct terminology is important, even if some people don't think so.

Thank you, BruceB

dakotashooter2
03-04-2015, 11:38 AM
*#%&$ auto correct....... it must be designed by liberals.... it won't even let me write gum....or riffle.. #*^%@*&

Harter66
03-04-2015, 12:16 PM
You just have to force the new words into the on board dictionary. Soon you'll be able to gum up all the raffle bubbles :)

Gtek
03-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Boolits, anybody?

Retumbo
03-04-2015, 04:48 PM
So...one should also put a space after a comma then?

:kidding:

[QUOTE=tomme boy;3160753]Someones panties are sure bound up tonight[/QUOTE

Yeah, I'll admit to that.

After decades of seeing this misuse DAILY, by people who really should know better,it's hard to find enough patience to tolerate it. It's not a spelling mistake, it's an error in naming the parts involved.

Terminology IS important, both for accuracy in technical pursuits and the impression the writer leaves with others.

So.... your device really won't allow the use of the common term, "brake"? That's odd, to say the least.

I am sorry that it happened to be your post that tripped my sear; I always read your input with interest.

Alan in Vermont
03-04-2015, 05:13 PM
Thank you, BruceB

That's about a big +50. This semi-literate BS bothers me as well.

tomme boy
03-05-2015, 09:23 AM
Try using the talk feature on a phone once. You will understand a whole new meaning of communication.

Alan, I did a search on some of your post. While I am not the best person for proper grammar, I try the best I can. But looking at some of your post, you are no better. Everyone makes mistakes. Even the Grammar-Nazi's!

Harter66
03-05-2015, 10:46 AM
Somewhere in here there is a post made by an I think an Aussie but he may have been a Kiwi ,in plain straight out down under English. Something about "then the bugger took me with a king high ,blacked me bloody eye afore I had clock to to put up astop".
talk to text and I don't get along well ,it seems desert rat splashed with okie/arkie doesn't make for good translation to text.

GaryN
03-05-2015, 09:02 PM
Ummm, back to the original post. It may be wise after using jacketed bullets to clean out your brake to make sure and clean out the copper fouling from the jacketed rounds. Copper fouling can cause a problem in that it adheres to any tin in your alloy causing the barrel to lead easier.

sw282
03-20-2015, 12:04 AM
The brake ''Breaks'' up the escaping gasses by diffusing them :--)