PDA

View Full Version : North Texas Weather

TXGunNut
02-27-2015, 04:18 PM
I know you folks up north, especially in the NE, will get a kick out of the weather we've been having in the D/FW area. Most schools and businesses were closed Monday and Tuesday this week on account of a couple of inches of ice. Today an inch or so of snow caused most everyone to bail out at work and the gridlock that resulted in the big cities will take hours to unravel.
My 40 mile commute took two hours, old truck is rock solid in stuff like this but I didn't push the old girl.
I hope my fellow NT CB'ers made it home OK. Been a long, wasted week on account of this mess.

twc1964
02-27-2015, 05:02 PM
I know whatcha mean. Im near boyd and work in fw . My wife and i left work and it took us over 2 hours to go 32 miles. I do well in snow but lots of others...not so much.

andyt53
02-27-2015, 05:10 PM
My wife went to the Omni in down town Dallas for breakfast with her mother. They left at 11 am and didn't get back to the house, north Arlington just north of Hurricane Harbor, until 2:30! They took 30 and said it took almost an hour and a half just to get to Loop 12! Apparently a bunch of people don't know how to drive in any kind of snow. They said at one point, there were 9 cars spun out and stopped the highway, at one time.

Reg
02-27-2015, 05:16 PM
Sitting here at Fort Sam in San Antone, 36 degrees and starting to rain. Flying back to DOA in the am, looks like it no picnic back up there either. Dont,t ya just love spring.

geargnasher
02-27-2015, 07:50 PM
I used to live just north of Rhome and commuted to work on 287 and I-820 in northeast Ft. Worth. I am intimately familiar with "black ice" and 18-wheelers that cannot stop and stay put due to 1/2 degree of road crown or grade. Some of the slow-motion pileups on steep on/off ramps were spectacular. Snow, not bad. 1/8" of glossy sheet ice on the roads? Insanity.

Gear

fatnhappy
02-27-2015, 08:00 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11025204_860224330685955_9188410213642289981_n.jpg ?oh=3fd3cc88cd006a7e0bfa11dcfb2a5e93&oe=55801350&__gda__=1435336250_f9d2b6e98af67ba008b9ce146406b6e 6

cga
02-27-2015, 08:30 PM
For those who are not used to driving on ice, or in deep snow, slow down. There's nothing out there worth dying for. I drive a truck 320 to 400 miles a day in this ****, and things can happen unexpectedly, beyond your control, and real fast.
Check this out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIDzHw-HK1A

TXGunNut
02-27-2015, 08:34 PM
I used to live just north of Rhome and commuted to work on 287 and I-820 in northeast Ft. Worth. I am intimately familiar with "black ice" and 18-wheelers that cannot stop and stay put due to 1/2 degree of road crown or grade. Some of the slow-motion pileups on steep on/off ramps were spectacular. Snow, not bad. 1/8" of glossy sheet ice on the roads? Insanity.

Gear

Stretch of 287 from Decatur south is being rebuilt, 380 from Decatur to Denton is on the third and final phase but nothing has changed around here except for more elevated sections and steep ramps. Those work just fine 355 days of the year, maybe more. The other days it's mayhem or good sport, depending on your choice of vehicle. The heavy trucks depend on momentum, sucks when someone gets in their way and hesitates.
Hmmmmm...I brought in some firewood a few hours ago. I'm going anywhere for quite awhile! That stuff is still coming down and last I heard it was supposed to turn into freezing rain tonight.

TXGunNut
02-27-2015, 08:52 PM
Good points, cga. Only good thing is the folks in that SUV probably didn't suffer much. 80,000 lbs @ 50-60 mph is an awesome amount of energy for a 5000 lb SUV to absorb in a broadside hit. It's not likely to be survivable.
I had an up close and personal view of a Camaro swerving into the path of a semi over 30 yrs ago, will never forget the loud pop and the sight of the car disappearing under the truck. Some folks drive like their car is equipped with a "reset" button, I'm quite certain neither of mine has one.

MaryB
02-28-2015, 12:50 AM
I have probably well over 500,000 miles driving in ice and snow including pure glare ice with zero accidents. But I slow down for the conditions and those who refuse to are the ones who cause accidents. I had some close calls and had to do some ditch hopping a time or two...

texassako
02-28-2015, 01:03 AM
Weather Underground says we got 4-4.5" around these parts so far with 1 inch more on the way before switching to sleet and freezing rain. My official snow fall measurer says it was getting pretty close to knee high at our house, though. We don't usually get this dry, fluffy sort of snow. It was no use trying to make snow balls or a snow man with it, and I wasn't surprised that my daughter was about the only kid outside in it.

NavyVet1959
02-28-2015, 01:43 AM
I was up in Dallas last week and drove back on Tuesday. I thought I was doing pretty good until right before I left, I slipped in a parking lot where there was some ice and busted my butt. I was backing into one parking spot and it was slightly tilted from side to side and I hit some ice and my pickup started sliding towards the car beside me. I tried to go forward, but I was stuck and started sliding some more towards that car. Even though I had a limited slip rear differential, I was stuck. Had to put it in 4WD to get out of there. Just one small stream of ice where the water had gone downhill and had frozen. On the way back from Dallas, I saw a lot of marks in the snow where cars had gone off the road. Saw where an 18-wheeler that was north of I-20 (on I-45) and had swapped ends with his trailer and was well off the bridge. That had happened on Monday and even on Tuesday, they had not cleared it up. Traffic was backed up for a long way and they were routing traffic to I-20.

I've driven a lot in snow over the years and it is entirely different than the ice we get down south. People think that since they have an SUV with AWD, they can drive fast. Perhaps, but they can't *stop* any faster than the person with 2WD. Given a choice, I would prefer a front wheel drive car for driving on snow / ice, but would also like the option to engage the rear wheels if I really got stuck. Why don't companies make vehicles where you can select whether you want the front wheels, rear wheels, or both to be engaged?

MaryB
02-28-2015, 02:37 AM
MN gets plenty of ice most years. I have done 250 mile rounds into MPLS on glare ice and never had a commute shorter than a 50 mile round trip. The problem is people drive like brain dead idiots. I was crawling to work one day at 30mph in 4 wheel low lock because of ice and some dude in a 2wd Ford Ranger goes fishtailing around me at 60mph. 2 miles further on he was wheels up in the ditch with a snow plow driver helping him out of the truck. He went into the S curve and slid up into the snow plow, clipped the plow as he went sailing off into the ditch. I was nice and waved as I went by to return his 1 finger salute I got as he went by me.

popper
02-28-2015, 11:40 AM
Ice storms are different than snow storms. I've driven in 3 foot snows, no problem. 1/2" ice - terrible. Years ago it started raining, then freezing. Took 10 min to get the key into the lock, another 10 to get the door open & 1/2 hr to get the tires unstuck from the ice - parking lot didn't drain and turned to an ice pack. You can spin the drive wheels but the others don't turn.

TXGunNut
02-28-2015, 11:50 AM
I miss my Impala, front wheel drive is a big advantage on the ice. My 93 T-Bird was good on the ice but my big Mercury is pretty much hopeless. I can't get used to that electronic locking differential, too unpredictable. It's staying home until this stuff is gone.

NavyVet1959
02-28-2015, 12:38 PM
With front wheel drive, if you spin the tires, you just sit there. With rear wheel drive, if you spin the tires, they want to go sideways. Torque vector, right hand rule, combined with vehicles that are normally lighter in the rear than in the front? I've noticed quite a few 2WD pickups over the years abandoned in the middle of an icy road obviously pointed in the wrong direction.

TXGunNut
02-28-2015, 01:30 PM
A 2WD pickup without a locking rear end is pretty much useless in conditions like we have today. Seem to recall seeing one in the ditch a little south of here. I suspect the independent rear suspension and locking diff helped my T-Bird do well on the ice along with good weight distribution.

montana_charlie
02-28-2015, 03:42 PM
Snow, not bad. 1/8" of glossy sheet ice on the roads? Insanity.
That ice is not so terrible if you have the right tires, and I'm not referring to spikes.
A 'softer' rubber and lots of siping makes a real difference ...

NavyVet1959
02-28-2015, 06:25 PM
That ice is not so terrible if you have the right tires, and I'm not referring to spikes.
A 'softer' rubber and lots of siping makes a real difference ...

Around here, if you had those sorts of tires, you might get to use them once ever 10 years, so they would be dry rotted by the time you next got to use them. :)

I had a car once that had some of the really soft rubber for the tires. They were for stickiness in the curves though, not for ice. I was lucky to get 15K miles out of them. Decided on the next set of tires that I really didn't need the Z-rated tires and went with something a bit more economical that lasted a bit longer.

fatnhappy
02-28-2015, 06:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4baX8NfOEP0

Idaho Mule
02-28-2015, 08:12 PM
What is this "snow" you folks speak of ????? JW

TXGunNut
03-05-2015, 01:07 AM
Well, in the last 30 minutes we've had over an inch of snow. That's on top of a steady freezing rain/sleet since about 5P. May have 3-6 inches by sunrise. In my part of TX we go for years without measurable snowfall. Not a big deal for many parts of the country but folks around here go absolutely bonkers when the ground turns white. I have a rock-solid 4X4 with all the recovery equipment I'll ever need but I think I'll drink coffee or load rifle rounds in the morning.

David2011
03-05-2015, 01:34 AM
I feel for ya. Your weather came from where I live. We're experiencing the same thing in West Texas and SE New Mexico. I've driven many miles on snowpack. It's no big deal once you learn. We've had mostly ice followed by snow. That's a whole different deal; way more dangerous. The company I work for has lots of permanently overweight permitted tractor trailer units that have 3 and 4 trailer axles and weigh upward of 100,000 lb. We shut down at the first sign of ice because the heavy trucks are so difficult to control in the hilly country west of Hobbs. It rained much of the day and then dropped well below freezing. We've already been told not to move company vehicles until 10 AM tomorrow morning when upper 20s and sun are forecast. It will melt and dry fast.

Worst thing is trying to get the slab in the shop warm again after it gets this cold- under 20* F. I insulated the heck out of the walls but once the concrete is cold, it's just COLD. When we win the lottery the shop will be much closer to the Gulf of Mexico and have a heated slab.

David

TXGunNut
03-05-2015, 03:44 AM
I'm certainly sleeping in tomorrow. Been monitoring a family member's trek home from the Fleetwood Mac concert in Dallas but they're home safe and I can toddle off now. No sense in getting out there too early tomorrow. By sunrise it will be a polished mess, before that too hard to assess. My truck only has liability insurance on it, not willing to buy a new one anytime soon.

historicfirearms
03-05-2015, 08:40 AM
Being born and raised in Michigan, we get more than our fair share of snow. Only occasionally do we get an ice storm. I would much rather drive on any type of snow than drive on ice. My big gripe is when the road commission puts down salt while its snowing. It turns the stuff into slush which can really pull your vehicle around.

10x
03-05-2015, 09:29 AM
For those who are not used to driving on ice, or in deep snow, slow down. There's nothing out there worth dying for. I drive a truck 320 to 400 miles a day in this ****, and things can happen unexpectedly, beyond your control, and real fast.

There is a real difference between 5 months of winter driving and two hours of freezing rain resulting in black ice.
Folks in the warmer climes usually rely on all season tires. An all season tire is useless on black ice. I have two sets of skins for my Toyota Tundra. The top line all season tires will not even begin to stop a Tundra in snow covered ice. The lack of traction of an all season radial makes the ABS system useless tripling the stopping distance over the same conditions when a quality winter tire would allow a stop in a reasonable distance.
The same is true of Chevs with ABS - don't know about Ford and Dodge.
Icy covered road with a layer of water on it is one of the slickest surfaces one can drive on. I recall driving from Calgary Alberta to Banff and hitting freezing rain with black ice. There was a ice free portion on the right lane and any auto that got into the left lane kept on going into the median ditch due the crown on the road.
The first uphill grade stopped traffic dead when a grey hound bus spun out in the right lane.
I can not praise the Weed V bar chains that I carried with me enough. I put them on, used 2 bungee cords on each side to keep them tight and very carefully pulled into the left lane and idled past the lineup at about 5 mph. A chain on a front tire would have helped considerably.
A half down the road (about 3 miles) we hit salted and sanded pavement at an intersection where a government sand truck did a U turn from the east bound lane and headed back west.

There are some road conditions that no level of driving skill can beat. About 6 years ago on my way to a funeral I felt the rear tires break loose for a few seconds when I took my foot off of the gas . I was traveling at 55 miles an hour. I regained control by pushing in the clutch and recovered. I coasted down to about 35 mph at which point all four wheels lost traction. The result was the pickup did a slow mo head for the ditch over the next five seconds.
A Ford Ranger 4X4 can travel about 35 yards of 2 foot deep snow when you hit it at 35 mph.
The next vehicle along slid into the ditch about 20 yards from mine, luckily he was going slower than me.
It took almost a half hour to clean out the snow packed into the engine compartment once out of the ditch.

That the individual driving the body job recovered is a remarkable combination of chance and driving skill.

Check this out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIDzHw-HK1A

MaryB
03-06-2015, 02:07 AM
I have never had ice or snow put me in the ditch by accident. I have gone on purpose to avoid people though. Worst was seeing the back end of a semi trailer jackknifing into my lane and my only choice was the shoulder with a 4 foot packed drift. I launched my old GMC Jimmy over it and managed to land back on the road somehow. I stopped, picked up the truck driver and the car load that had been following me that was now wedged under the trailer and took them into the next town and waited with them for the Highway Patrol to pick them up. This was pre-cell phone era so I called it on on my ham rig and told them to close the road. It was the beginning of yet another snow storm that year and the road ended up closed for 3 days until things settled back down and they could get out with a dozer to push the snow back and a front end loader to help. Took both of them chained together to get the semi back on the road and out of the snow. Winter of 96/97 is one that went down in history here with 98 inches of snow total and drifts to 30 feet.

NavyVet1959
03-06-2015, 03:51 AM
I was on a back road one day during an ice storm. There was a slight hill and the idiot in front of me slowed down before the hill and as such, did not have enough momentum to make it up the hill with the very minimal traction that the rubber had on the ice. Well, that meant that I had to slow down and since he got stuck in the middle of the road, I had to stop. I put my car in park and walked over to his car to see if I could help by pushing his car up the hill. As his car started sliding backwards, I looked over at my car and it was starting to slowly slide backwards and into the ditch. Of course, I run over to it and grabbed onto the bumper in the mistaken notion that I could somehow stop its travel towards the ditch. No such luck -- I had no traction, so I was dragged across the ice into the ditch while holding onto the car.

10x
03-06-2015, 08:32 AM
I have never had ice or snow put me in the ditch by accident. I have gone on purpose to avoid people though.

snip

Your turn is coming. It took me over 50 years of driving to hit road conditions that I recognized were very poor, and had slowed down to half the speed limit (35 mph) and was hoping to slow down even more when the crown of the road and the slippery road surface removed any chance of control. I was very aware of the speed I was traveling, I was going slow enough to be able to check the speedometer several times on the way into the ditch. Just feathering the brakes would drop the speedo to zero in a wheel lock up. ABS quits working when all four wheels have lost traction completely.
35 mph on a straight stretch of road, coasting with the clutch in, no response to steering, not one wheel with traction - it takes a long time to slide off the road.
My only consolation was the next guy along was going just as fast, slowing down, and punched into the snow filled ditch stopping some 20 yards from my pickup.

From the time I lost control I had plenty of time to try to recover, at least 6 to 8 seconds. Nothing worked. It was a 200 yard slow slide out of my lane to the shoulder of the road. I lost control at 35 mph, at about 30 mph the passenger tires caught the crusty snow covering the last 2 feet of the shoulder of the road.
I was hoping that crusty snow would give the passenger tires enough traction to stop the slow side sideways. It turned out to be just as slippery as the road.
2 seconds later the tires caught the snow in the ditch and any hope of recovery was gone.

I have gone over the memory of this many times and have decided that every once in a while you get into a situation where you ride it out with the hopes of living through it.

10x
03-06-2015, 09:03 AM
I was on a back road one day during an ice storm. There was a slight hill and the idiot in front of me slowed down before the hill and as such, did not have enough momentum to make it up the hill with the very minimal traction that the rubber had on the ice. Well, that meant that I had to slow down and since he got stuck in the middle of the road, I had to stop. I put my car in park and walked over to his car to see if I could help by pushing his car up the hill. As his car started sliding backwards, I looked over at my car and it was starting to slowly slide backwards and into the ditch. Of course, I run over to it and grabbed onto the bumper in the mistaken notion that I could somehow stop its travel towards the ditch. No such luck -- I had no traction, so I was dragged across the ice into the ditch while holding onto the car.

Once watched a fellow slow to a stop at the crest of a long downhill stretch of pavement. There was black ice on the pavement. I had left enough distance where I was able to stop without hitting him. He got out of his car, and walked in front of it where he fell down and then slid down the highway on his butt till he got out of sight over the crest of the hill.
I sacrificed two of the sandbags I carried for traction weight to dust a track of sand on the ice about a foot wide in the part of the lane where the passenger wheel would travel to the bottom of the hill. Both of us walked up the hill on the sand trail I had left.
The slow drive to the bottom was tense but uneventful.

Red Foreman was an advocate of kitty litter for traction.
It has been my habit to carry 200 to 250 lb of sandbags over the rear axle of any pickup I drive. It gives a smoother ride, gives weight to the driving tires and there is less wheel slip in heavy wet snow.
My wife took my pickup on a ski trip to Marmot basin yesterday morning. As I was packing baggage and skis into the box she asked "Where are the tire chains?" That was the point where she explained to the three ladies with her what tire chains were and why folks should have them in the winter.
She then told me about the ski trip with my sons to Marmot where the road to the upper parking lot was too slippery to get up. , the lower parking lot was filled and she and my sons put the tire chains on to gain access to 800 empty parking spots - where she picked the choice spot that you could ski from the Van down to the chalet, get passes, and then at the end of the day , ski to the door of the Van.
I miss that '83 Dodge Royale with the 318.

dragon813gt
03-06-2015, 09:21 AM
Ice shuts everything down for good reason. There are to many hills here to attempt driving on it. If it's bad enough parked cars have broken free and slid down the hills. That always creates a mess.

Almost everything was closed here yesterday. Ended up w/ close to 10" of snow and it came down all day. The roads were a mess because the plows couldn't keep up. I live in a one square mile town and the Boro has six plow trucks plus two backhoes for the cul-de-sacs. Even when fully capable there is nothing you can do.

The really great part is that every township is out of salt. Plenty available but it has to be picked up at the Port of Philadelphia. No one wants to pay overtime to go get it. So the roads are horrible this morning.

Even though people should know how to drive in these conditions they don't. It's like they forget every year. Was at my friends's house yesterday and he lives on one of the main roads through town. It's a pretty steep hill that levels off in a few spots. People doing sixty, speed limit is 25, up it and trying to make a turn just led to slamming into the curbs. People were going way to fast down it as well. The street and stop sign on the corner of his property are gone once again. Happens every storm because people are idiots.

waksupi
03-06-2015, 12:17 PM
This winter, many are finding out all season tires, AIN'T! It sounds like a great business opportunity for me. I run studded tires all around, and drive on pure ice getting on and off this mountain pretty much all winter, as do my neighbors. Very seldom is anyone in the ditch. No problem.
I could load up on milk and bread, go door to door, and sell for $20 each!
I also keep a pair of studded boots handy, so I can walk on ice.

10x
03-06-2015, 04:53 PM
This winter, many are finding out all season tires, AIN'T!

snip.

That is A - FACT

MaryB
03-07-2015, 01:40 AM
Nahhh nothing worth dying over to get me to drive on ice anymore. I watch the weather, if a storm is moving in I make sure I have all the supplies I need and stay home! If bad weather is forecast and I have to make a trip I postpone it. Not worth it anymore when I don't have to be out there to earn a paycheck getting to work.

Your turn is coming. It took me over 50 years of driving to hit road conditions that I recognized were very poor, and had slowed down to half the speed limit (35 mph) and was hoping to slow down even more when the crown of the road and the slippery road surface removed any chance of control. I was very aware of the speed I was traveling, I was going slow enough to be able to check the speedometer several times on the way into the ditch. Just feathering the brakes would drop the speedo to zero in a wheel lock up. ABS quits working when all four wheels have lost traction completely.
35 mph on a straight stretch of road, coasting with the clutch in, no response to steering, not one wheel with traction - it takes a long time to slide off the road.
My only consolation was the next guy along was going just as fast, slowing down, and punched into the snow filled ditch stopping some 20 yards from my pickup.

From the time I lost control I had plenty of time to try to recover, at least 6 to 8 seconds. Nothing worked. It was a 200 yard slow slide out of my lane to the shoulder of the road. I lost control at 35 mph, at about 30 mph the passenger tires caught the crusty snow covering the last 2 feet of the shoulder of the road.
I was hoping that crusty snow would give the passenger tires enough traction to stop the slow side sideways. It turned out to be just as slippery as the road.
2 seconds later the tires caught the snow in the ditch and any hope of recovery was gone.

I have gone over the memory of this many times and have decided that every once in a while you get into a situation where you ride it out with the hopes of living through it.

MaryB
03-07-2015, 01:44 AM
Studded tires are no longer legal in MN. But people here are used to weather and if it is going to be bad the stores will be packed the day before as people load up on bread and milk and whatever else they need to hunker down and wait it out. I just shop my pantry unless I am low on coke or something I don't keep in bulk.

NavyVet1959
03-07-2015, 04:50 AM
This winter, many are finding out all season tires, AIN'T!

Awh, they're probably "all season" if you live in Hawaii, or South Florida / The Keys.

ffries61
03-07-2015, 12:55 PM
So that's what happened to my Amazon order !

Well, in the last 30 minutes we've had over an inch of snow. That's on top of a steady freezing rain/sleet since about 5P. May have 3-6 inches by sunrise. In my part of TX we go for years without measurable snowfall. Not a big deal for many parts of the country but folks around here go absolutely bonkers when the ground turns white. I have a rock-solid 4X4 with all the recovery equipment I'll ever need but I think I'll drink coffee or load rifle rounds in the morning.

TXGunNut
03-07-2015, 03:34 PM
So that's what happened to my Amazon order !

Quite possibly. One of their "fulfillment centers" is close to where I work. Also FedEx and UPS are having huge issues at their Memphis locations so it may be a combination of the two.
Spent the morning watching the ice melt today. Hope we're done with this mess for awhile but I know better than to make any predictions. Tomorrow looks like a good enough range day. Guess I better go load some boolits.

NavyVet1959
03-07-2015, 04:17 PM
Quite possibly. One of their "fulfillment centers" is close to where I work.

I think I might have stumbled across that location when I was in Dallas recently. I was over by DFW and driving around wasting some time. Eventually stumbled across a pretty good BBQ joint called "Hard Eight BBQ" in a small town called "Coppell" that had such an overpowering smell even though I had the windows rolled up on the car that I just *had* to stop. Somewhere around there, I saw a large Amazon building. That's also why Amazon now charges sales tax to purchases made in Texas. :(

TXGunNut
03-07-2015, 05:32 PM
I think I might have stumbled across that location when I was in Dallas recently. I was over by DFW and driving around wasting some time. Eventually stumbled across a pretty good BBQ joint called "Hard Eight BBQ" in a small town called "Coppell" that had such an overpowering smell even though I had the windows rolled up on the car that I just *had* to stop. Somewhere around there, I saw a large Amazon building. That's also why Amazon now charges sales tax to purchases made in Texas. :(

I thought it was in Haslet or another of those towns that run together in that area, hard to tell where one stops and the next starts. I suspect Amazon charges sales tax in most states where it's collected, I have no idea how many "fulfillment" centers they have around the country but I'd be surprised if it were less than a dozen.

popper
03-07-2015, 05:55 PM
I think studded tires are outlawed in most states as they tear up the roads too much. I sold my real tire chains years ago but do have a pair of the wire ones I've never used. I loved the old strap-on Mom used in the 50's. M&S seem to work for snow, not ice.

Tomorrow looks like a good enough range day Take your mud boots, my yard is soggy. Hopefully things will be dry by Tues.

TXGunNut
03-07-2015, 06:33 PM
Take your mud boots, my yard is soggy. Hopefully things will be dry by Tues. -Popper

Good plan, think I will. They dump plenty of broken clays in front of the targets but it still gets muddy. My yard is so wet I checked the meter this morning to make sure I didn't have another water leak. Crawdads were active in the culvert today, have no idea how they survive here but they've been there for years.

NavyVet1959
03-07-2015, 06:42 PM
I loved the old strap-on Mom used in the 50's.

TMI... I think that should be classified under "don't ask, don't tell". :)

One of the reasons why we should proofread our posts... AND why the editing feature is really nice... :)

tygar
03-07-2015, 06:47 PM
I lived in Alaska off & on for 4 decades & every year when the first snow fell it would seem like everyone had forgotten how to drive on snow or ice! People in ditches, fender benders etc all over! And...everyone has studs, snow tires, 4x4s etc. Always a cluster.....

In my time there I spun out twice, once into a berm, wife did it once, but we were both hit by others several times. And we drove AK caddys better know as Subaru's.

Now here in VA, fugittabotit! Snow really messes with the IPs around here. Can't wait to get out of here.

TXGunNut
03-24-2015, 09:08 PM
Snow and ice all gone, hasn't rained in a couple of days and a few weeds are poking up above the flooded plain that comprises my yard. Crawdads enough to make any Cajun smile are in the bar ditch and the frogs and toads make it sound like a swamp around here at night. May even be able to mow this weekend if the warm, windy days keep up.
Question is, what do I do with that really big boat full of critters in the front yard? Looks like someone's fixing to let down a loading ramp.:bigsmyl2: