PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed in Cleaning Inside of Bottleneck Cartridges

Themoose
02-27-2015, 01:19 PM
What is the best way to clean the inside of heavily fouled or stained bottleneck cartridges? I use a vibratory tumbler with corncob media and am very satisfied with the results of the exterior of the cases, but would like to thoroughly clean the inside and primer pockets, but am concerned about weakening or discoloring the brass if I use chemicals...
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TheMoose

justingrosche
02-27-2015, 02:13 PM
Stainless pin wet tumblers do a nice job of cleaning inside the cases as well as the primer pockets.

AggieEE
02-27-2015, 02:29 PM
There is a type of ss pin tumbler that is a disk with magnets on it that spins at a fairly high speed, compaired to a standard tub tumbler, that does a nice job in a hurry. You could also try a ultrasonic cleaner with citric acid. It doesn't polish but does clean. I've found cleaners that do a real good job of removing carbon but they are 1 expensive and 2 not skin friendly.

EDG
02-27-2015, 06:11 PM
Use a conventional rotary tumbler like a Thumbler's Tumbler Model B with stainless steel pins and citric acid.

Troll the net and you will find they clean the inside of cases pretty well.

This is a nice video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5L3E0QCV_Y

DCM
03-07-2015, 08:35 AM
Another vote for SS pins.

zuke
03-07-2015, 06:09 PM
SS pin's.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy356/zuke_bucket/DSCF1762.jpg

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy356/zuke_bucket/DSCF1759.jpg

w5pv
03-08-2015, 10:05 AM
SS pins plus a little ctric acid or just wash them in citric acid rinse dry and then polish in your vibertory tumbler.

Themoose
03-08-2015, 11:59 AM
Thanks to all that replied... I ponied up for the cheaper route and bought the double tumbler from HF and stainless pins at a LGS... Took some time to read threads about the tumbler and setting it up right... no problems ... have done about 300 bottlenecks and results are very good and eye opening... I do finish them in ground corncob with NU-polish to leave a little wax on them to prevent oxidation... then vacuum seal...(I know, anal, but they do look nice and they are now clean and and ready to load)....

Again, thanks to all for your help.

TheMoose

justingrosche
03-09-2015, 02:34 AM
That's what I do as well. Although I use real fine cut walnut (lizard bedding) that doesn't pack into the primer pockets like corn cob can. Also I use the Nu-finish. It doesn't seem to bother the powder or primers and the next cleaning cycle seems easier.

andyt53
03-09-2015, 04:44 AM
Thanks to all that replied... I ponied up for the cheaper route and bought the double tumbler from HF and stainless pins at a LGS... Took some time to read threads about the tumbler and setting it up right... no problems ... have done about 300 bottlenecks and results are very good and eye opening... I do finish them in ground corncob with NU-polish to leave a little wax on them to prevent oxidation... then vacuum seal...(I know, anal, but they do look nice and they are now clean and and ready to load)....

Again, thanks to all for your help.

TheMoose

I to have the HF dual drum tumbler. It works pretty good for the size and price of the drums. One thing I did very quick after using the drums a few times was to make a single big drum. I dont know the type of pvc I used, but it can be found at Home Depot in the outside gardening section. Its a thin walled 4" pvc pipe I believe for drainage, lighter than schedule 40. I then got two of the Oatly 4" test plugs.

Cut the pipe down to fit inside the HF tumbler and removed the wing nuts on the test plugs and replaced with bolts. The wing nuts prevent the drum from spinning. Doing this, I gained a little more room as opposed to two smaller drums. I have been tumbling 300-325 pieces of 40 S&W at one time. The single big drum is also easier to work with since you only have one ratio of Dawn soap, Lemishine and water to work with. I can post pictures if anybody is interested.