:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

http://writeforlifeblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/chivalry-quote1.jpg

geargnasher
02-27-2015, 12:50 PM
Alive and well with me.

Gear

btroj
02-27-2015, 12:52 PM
This is a question we must all ask ourselves. I feel I behave as a gentleman.

bhn22
02-27-2015, 12:54 PM
Chivalry is not dead, but it is politically incorrect. There are still random untraceable acts of chivalry and kindness practiced in areas not under 24 hour video surveillance.

As noted before, in other threads, this is the age of self-entitlement. Our next two generations are already programmed to ignore the common good. "What's in it for me?"

Love Life
02-27-2015, 12:57 PM
Dead. My wife won't hold the door for me, pump gas in inclement weather for me, pay the bills, buy me dinner, etc.

southpaw
02-27-2015, 01:06 PM
I guess it is dead. My wife is a stay at home MOM. What else can I say.

Jerry Jr.

BTW, I noticed you can vote for all of them so that is what I did! Second time I voted democrat!

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-27-2015, 01:11 PM
Since I've been a bachelor (and lived alone) for 30+ years,
apparently I don't know what chivalry is :veryconfu

runfiverun
02-27-2015, 01:23 PM
I dunno does young women holding the door for me count?
ahhh jeez I just figured out what that means.

Col4570
02-27-2015, 01:24 PM
I believe I am a gentleman,but have doubts that gentlemanly behaviour is always appreciated.Very often I have held a door open for a lady or given my Bus seat to a lady only to be snarled at like some lavicious slavering maniac who,s only ambition has an ulterior motive.Could it be that chivalry is a dying trait only to be replaced by Zombie like blank stares totally absorbed in oneself.No I will continue as I have always been caring but aware of the pitfalls surrounding polite behaviour.
Letcher.[smilie=s:

quilbilly
02-27-2015, 02:09 PM
Dead. My wife won't hold the door for me, pump gas in inclement weather for me, pay the bills, buy me dinner, etc. I have a couple hooches out in the woods just for you. They are more comfortable than the couch.

bubba.50
02-27-2015, 02:33 PM
it ain't dead yet but like the snail darter & the commiefornia condor it gets rarer every day. and in my humble opinion, automatic openin' doors haven't helped anything.

james nicholson
02-27-2015, 02:42 PM
Alive and well here.

bikerbeans
02-27-2015, 02:51 PM
If he is dead, I didn' kill him and I have an air tight alibi, no matter when or where he died.

BB

groovy mike
02-27-2015, 03:56 PM
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/be/09/8c/be098c52a763781fd7f93b8442a414d0.jpg

Equality and all that....

Charley
02-27-2015, 04:09 PM
Never was knighted, not a horseman, guess I'm not chivalrous. I am a gentleman, though. Different things...chevaux/chivalry.

Hardcast416taylor
02-27-2015, 05:18 PM
My probable best act of chivalry would be holding the men`s restroom door open so Hillary could enter to use the wall urinal.Robert

flashhole
02-27-2015, 05:23 PM
I didn't vote on the poll. A better question might be - Does Chivalry have a place in today's society?

The answer to that is NO. Today's society is totally void of gender (and moral) differences.

What are the roots to that movement?

Liberalism.

The fundamental elements that allowed us to flourish as a moral and caring society have been stripped from our cultural well being.

How do we regain it?

You will not like the answer to that question.

27judge
02-27-2015, 05:35 PM
On Feb 20 my wife and I were married 55 years, believe me I practice it every day and its done well for me tks KEN

shooter93
02-27-2015, 06:46 PM
Chivalry?......maybe hanging in there a bit especially with the older gents....courtesy?....that died with the profusion of cell phones.

osteodoc08
02-27-2015, 07:27 PM
Is consider myself a gentleman. I was taught by my father and to a lesser degree, my mother.

Sadly, I feel the ideology of chivalry has faded and replaced with instant gratification and self serving "deservatude" mentality overall.

osteodoc08
02-27-2015, 07:28 PM
On Feb 20 my wife and I were married 55 years, believe me I practice it every day and its done well for me tks KEN

With plenty of ups and downs I'm sure. Too bad everyone now days finds it easier to quit than to actually WORK at something.

Congrats on the 55 years and giving folks like me hope for a long successful marriage.

geargnasher
02-27-2015, 07:30 PM

Ouch.

Gear

bhn22
02-27-2015, 08:43 PM

Depressing, ain't it?

country gent
02-27-2015, 08:56 PM
Doing the right thing, helping others, being courteous and polite, respectful and such never goes out of style. It is a code to live by.

Poygan
02-27-2015, 08:59 PM
Agree with country gent: we can only control what we do and not how others react to us.

TXGunNut
02-27-2015, 09:06 PM

I understand, had a nice young man try to give me his seat on an airport train awhile back. Almost knocked him back into his seat, lol. Was a rough flight, guess he picked up on that.
But yes, I practice chivalry but that's just part of my eccentric charm, lol. That and it amuses me that it probably ticks some folks off. So be it.

1911cherry
02-27-2015, 09:10 PM
act lady like and I will treat you accordingly , but if you act like a horses butt.....

texaswoodworker
02-27-2015, 09:16 PM
As noted before, in other threads, this is the age of self-entitlement. Our next two generations are already programmed to ignore the common good. "What's in it for me?"

You can't really put all the blame on the younger generations. SOMEONE had to of raised them like that. I used to work as a cashier/shift manager, and some of the absolute rudest people I ever had to deal with were well over 40.

Being polite has been dead for generations in some families. In others, it's still alive and well.

Bzcraig
02-27-2015, 09:25 PM
Asked the wife (some of you should tread lightly if you plan on doing the same, and no, I'm not just talking about LL hehe) and she said it's very much alive. But it also came with a warning: better only be her that gets that kind of attention. Even after 31 years I have a healthy respect for her, I remember who Lorena Bobbitt is!

MaLar
02-27-2015, 09:32 PM
I think it's alive. At least I try to keep it that way.
The problem as I see it is. Women don't know what it is as well as younger men.

Love Life
02-27-2015, 10:01 PM
Hehehe.

RED333
02-27-2015, 10:26 PM
WELL YEA!!!
I still open doors, say thank you and keep the faith.

country gent
02-27-2015, 10:47 PM
Another little thing to remeber is chivalry didnt just die out, we as a group let it die or maybe killed it thru our actions and bearing. In the rush to move ahead we actually may have moved backwards

osteodoc08
02-27-2015, 11:04 PM
What ever happened to gender equality? LOL

(Playing devils advocate here)

country gent
02-28-2015, 12:11 AM
I was at the local schools graduatuin ceremony in 2004 ( my oldests graduatuon from high school) and was amazed.disgusted when during the anthem playing no one other than a few of us old timers removed our hats. most didnt bother. Watch at ball games sporting events cerimonies and such some dont even bother to stand for the anthem now.

GaryN
02-28-2015, 12:35 AM
My probable best act of chivalry would be holding the men`s restroom door open so Hillary could enter to use the wall urinal.Robert

Hahahahaha, that was funny.

osteodoc08
02-28-2015, 12:35 AM
I was at the local schools graduatuin ceremony in 2004 ( my oldests graduatuon from high school) and was amazed.disgusted when during the anthem playing no one other than a few of us old timers removed our hats. most didnt bother. Watch at ball games sporting events cerimonies and such some dont even bother to stand for the anthem now.

My kids weren't even taught the pledge of allegiance in school. I taught them, but the school didn't. Morals and character down the drain overall.......all for some libtards.

TXGunNut
02-28-2015, 12:53 AM
My kids weren't even taught the pledge of allegiance in school. I taught them, but the school didn't. Morals and character down the drain overall.......all for some libtards.

Shame on our school! That's wrong on so many levels. Please get involved; PTO/PTA, school board, whatever it takes.

Col4570
02-28-2015, 01:27 AM
There can be a problem with Chivalry when people help oldies like me across the Road,even when I do,nt want to go across.I always find my umbrella or walking stick has gone hanging on the Arm of the chevalier.[smilie=s: Whoo Whooo.

fast ronnie
02-28-2015, 02:10 AM
Been married almost 37 years. Just brought roses in from a couple of our bushes yesterday. I see quite a few people here in California holding doors open for people. Kind of surprising because when you see'em on the highway----------------------!

Hickory
02-28-2015, 08:05 AM
Chivalry is not dead, it just got beat down by feminism and only looks dead. It only needs to be helped back to it's feet again.

timberhawk
02-28-2015, 11:08 AM
It's not dead with me. Acts of kindness and courtesy always pay off with a smile or thank you.
It always makes my day brighter when a woman, young or old, appreciates what I have done.
We have to take care of each other, we're all we have. Sounds corny, but it's true.

popper
02-28-2015, 11:22 AM
Caring about others is pretty much dead. You do see and hear of some holding doors, pushing cars from the ditch, etc.

BNE
02-28-2015, 12:19 PM
I am blessed with a Wife of 21 years and two Daughters (17 and 13). I purposely still do small things like open car doors for them and treat them with respect. One because I love them and two to teach my daughters what to look for in a man.

PULSARNC
02-28-2015, 07:08 PM
I regularly hold doors for women but seldom even get a thank you anymore ,guess i should just quit doing it .problem is it still feels like the right thing to do .

perotter
02-28-2015, 10:00 PM
I voted it was dead before I read any posts. After reading the posts, few seem to even know what it is.

PS Paul
03-01-2015, 01:22 AM
You can't really put all the blame on the younger generations. SOMEONE had to of raised them like that. I used to work as a cashier/shift manager, and some of the absolute rudest people I ever had to deal with were well over 40.

Being polite has been dead for generations in some families. In others, it's still alive and well.
I was a sporting goods manager for a long time and the majority of rude people are 40 or over. I now manage a specialty beverage box store and the majority of young people (a lot of them are active military) are polite, friendly, courteous and they ALL refer to me as "sir". The only rude folk are the older people who are those with obvious drinking problems. So the notion of just young people being impolite is, in my experience, largely incorrect.

Don Purcell
03-01-2015, 01:59 AM
I must be lucky as every time that I hold a door open for a woman it produces a genuine smile and a thank you even from the ones I was sure wouldn't appreciate it. Don't know how many times I've seen a younger couple going into an establishment and the guy will be first through the door and not even try to hold the door open for the young woman trailing in after him. Once I was right behind a couple and this happened but I was close enough I caught the door and held it for the woman and said "That dud your with needs to learn some manners" and said it loud enough for him to hear which he did. He just hunched his head a little and kept walking but it was worth the bright smile from her.

blackthorn
03-01-2015, 01:06 PM
Quote "I regularly hold doors for women but seldom even get a thank you anymore ,guess i should just quit doing it .problem is it still feels like the right thing to do."

As with other courteous behaviour, I don't do it for, nor do I expect thanks, but rather because it is the proper thing to do.

Don Purcell
03-01-2015, 01:19 PM
Guys, whether we like it or not or whether we think chivalry is dead or not doesn't matter. We are in a cultural war right now and are being attacked from all sides. If you are on this site you are an ambassador of the gun culture with everyone you meet. So what if the person you hold the door open for or offer a seat to doesn't acknowledge your actions properly but dollars to donuts SOMEBODY noticed it and made note of it. As blackthorn said it's the proper thing to do. If you have young men growing up around you instill these manners into them it will eventually pay off.

Love Life
03-01-2015, 01:28 PM
People I meet do not know I am a gun owner. They probably mistake me for a Carhartt rep or something.

Hardcast416taylor
03-01-2015, 02:50 PM
I guess the biggest kick I get from holding a door for a complete stranger is the ***** look they have on their face from my holding the door.Robert

TheDoctor
03-01-2015, 10:43 PM
Our schools still say The Pledge Of Allegiance, and The Texas Pledge. I will treat a woman like a lady, until they act otherwise. Always be polite to strangers, it costs you nothing more than breath, and might be worth as much as your life.

WILCO
03-02-2015, 12:38 AM
I voted it was dead before I read any posts. After reading the posts, few seem to even know what it is.

?????????????????

perotter
03-02-2015, 10:25 AM
?????????????????

Most here just post things like holding a door open for someone. That is a very small part of chivalry and likely has nothing today to do with chivalry. There has been no mention of things like placing no value on material goods, religion, protection of the weak, etc.

For example. What happens in the schools today to a bully? Nothing. In a society that is chivalrous, in protecting the weak, other students would beat the **** out of the bully.

WILCO
03-02-2015, 10:43 AM
Most here just post things like holding a door open for someone. That is a very small part of chivalry and likely has nothing today to do with chivalry. There has been no mention of things like placing no value on material goods, religion, protection of the weak, etc.

For example. What happens in the schools today to a bully? Nothing. In a society that is chivalrous, in protecting the weak, other students would beat the **** out of the bully.

Nothing happens to "bullies" because the government has fixed that problem in our schools. I know of one schoolboy who took on a bully and was suspended from school, for being a bully. As for the meaning of chivalry, I always took it as being a gentleman who is honorable, trustworthy, courteous, respectful and kind to others, including the females. I believe this group has a grasp of the concept.

abunaitoo
03-02-2015, 06:40 PM
To many of the younger generation, Chivalry is what happens when you get to cold...........
It might not be dead and gone, but it's not around like it used to be.
Kind of like "ALOHA" here.
Very sad.

Garyshome
03-02-2015, 08:43 PM
I ain't got none!

Minerat
03-02-2015, 09:01 PM
I try to keep it alive. I just remember my mother reminding me to hold the door for a lady even if she "wasn't' or did not act like it" once the door was open. It's fun too, to hold the door for someone and then watch them try to figure out who goes first in a fast food place. HEHEHE.

WILCO
03-05-2015, 10:27 AM
Bump!

perotter
03-05-2015, 03:31 PM
Nothing happens to "bullies" because the government has fixed that problem in our schools. I know of one schoolboy who took on a bully and was suspended from school, for being a bully. As for the meaning of chivalry, I always took it as being a gentleman who is honorable, trustworthy, courteous, respectful and kind to others, including the females. I believe this group has a grasp of the concept.

This group does have a grasp on that part of it, but that is only about 1/10 th what chivalry is. That's why it's dead. We don't ever remember what it was and have to look it up.

WILCO
08-28-2015, 05:08 PM
http://imghumour.com/assets/Uploads/Lets-Bump.jpg