PDA

View Full Version : Unique Plumbers Furnace resurrected.

nitro-express
02-27-2015, 09:49 AM
Thanks to this forum and all the "furnace" posts, I just had to have one. I found this gem advertised and picked it up. A little cleaning and some lube on the leather got it going. Made short work of the 7 lbs of lead that came in the cast pot. The ladles are a little big, and the handles have been repaired, welded on, but they do ladle lead.

I really didn't know what to offer; the owner had it listed for $35. Another person had come to look at it a while back, but they were unable to get it fired up. Before I could even comment, the owner said that I could have it for $5, he just wanted it gone. That was an easy deal.

It is noisy, sounds like a miniature rocket, struggling to build up thrust.

It is a No.43, made by UNIQUE of Chicago. I estimate it to be 30's or 40's vintage.

Pipefitter
02-27-2015, 10:27 AM
I am not sure I would run that on gasoline, heard too many stories from old timer plumbers of "incidents" with them. Now to convert it to propane, or just use the pot and ladles you got that for next to nothing. I still have my Dad's ladles, and one or two of the "ropes" to pour horizontal joints.

nitro-express
02-27-2015, 11:33 AM
Plumbers used these indoors, fueled with gasoline, I can well imagine "incidents". I began by using Coleman fuel, but it seemed like the burn and vaporization were not optimal. Premium UL works, but my start-up procedure was cautious. Initially it sprays a ton of raw fuel, not vapor. I just crack the valve, and shut it. I then light the pool of gas, and feather the valve until it starts spraying out and burning vapor, not a jet of liquid. After that it is a bunch "safer", as only vapor is being sprayed out of the jet. It helped that it was -20C in the shop, gasoline vaporizes pretty slow in the cold.

I was wondering how they poured horizontal joints, truly a lost art.

I seriously doubt that this would get Workplace Health and Safety approval today.

John Guedry
02-27-2015, 06:12 PM
Pouring horizontal joints involved clamping a "running rope" (also known as Myrtle's Girdle) up tight against the joint with the part of the rope coming together at the top. A piece of "oakum" was put in place to keep the lead from going where it shouldn't. then you fill'er up. Forgot to mention you calk the joint with oakum to help seal and after the pour hardens you peen it place with a chisel.

W.R.Buchanan
02-27-2015, 06:24 PM
Nitro: You scored on that one, and I wouldn't worry about what OSHA thinks! I have been looking for one of these for a long time. What you have got is essentially a Mega Coleman Single Burner Stove, and they are about as unsafe as any other Coleman Stove or lantern.

White Gas (Coleman Fuel) is simply regular gasoline with out all the additives and Benzene. As long as the seals are not rotten and leak there is no reason not to use this burner for it's intended purpose. If some of the seals do leak it is a simple matter to replace them using new O-rings and I bet that Coleman parts are very close to what you'd need. However usually all that needs to be done is to get the seals wet again. This is why I always store my Coleman lanterns and stoves with fuel in them.

I wonder how many pumps you gave it to start up? You were talking about a stream of fuel? Sounds like a few more pumps would pressurize the tank a little more and get things rolling faster. As soon as the fuel heating coil heats up it ran OK didn't it?

Anyway have fun with it.

Randy

kenyerian
02-27-2015, 06:50 PM
That was what my shooting buddies all used to cast boolits with back in the 60's.

cajun shooter
03-02-2015, 10:33 AM
Oil the plunger through the small hole in the top piece and this will help out the wick build pressure. It works the same as the old Coleman lanterns. Great Find. Take care David