PDA

View Full Version : Ahhh the merits of public health systems...............

dakotashooter2
02-25-2015, 01:47 PM
Not the US system...at least not yet. I found out my cousin in Canada just passed away. She found out she had cancer early in January. No idea how long it took her to get the appointment to find that out but the earliest she could schedule Chemo was last week, 5 weeks later. Sadly, shortly after Chemo she had a stoke and passed a few days later.

I was told her husband had to wait 3 months for his rotator cuff surgery..............

Ain't the Public Health System grand......Guess you get what you pay for...........

dilly
02-25-2015, 02:00 PM
Ain't the Public Health System grand......Guess you get what you pay for...........

Actually in public systems you wind up paying far more and getting significantly less quality.

jcwit
02-25-2015, 02:02 PM
So she died from something totally unrelated to her cancer which was what she was being treated for?

With that said, Sorry for your loss.

Rick Hodges
02-25-2015, 03:29 PM
Treatment delayed is treatment denied. How much did the delay have to do with weakening her overall condition? Planned delays save money in precisely this manner....ask the people who were delayed and denied treatment at the veterans hospitals...oh that's right you can't. You can ask their next of kin.

Go ahead and tell yourself that delaying cancer diagnosis and treatment has nothing to do with her cause of death. So jcwit, stress and overall health conditions contribute nothing to the chances of or seriousness of strokes in your world?

I too am sorry for your loss.

oldred
02-25-2015, 04:05 PM
I too am sorry to hear of such a loss and it's disgraceful that in her condition she had to wait on treatment, having to wait on treatment for such an urgent condition is simply inexcusable!

So she died from something totally unrelated to her cancer which was what she was being treated for?

How could you possibly know such a thing? What a senseless and rude thing to say!!!

jcwit
02-25-2015, 04:23 PM
Nothing was said as to what kind of cancer she was being treated for.

I am a cancer survivor, and I am a veteran who goes to the VA Health Care. I get very good health care form them with NO waiting. This includes my cancer care and my heart care. I have been in and out numerous times, so am familiar with the care provided at the Fort Wayne VA Hospital.

Waiting to hear what kind of cancer she had.

jcwit
02-25-2015, 04:24 PM
How could you possibly know such a thing? What a senseless and rude thing to say!!!

I did not know.

Why do you think I ended that sentence in my post with a question mark?

Bored1
02-25-2015, 05:17 PM
Canadian surgery delays are quite normal. I know a mechanic who was on disability for 9 months waiting on a total knee replacement. It was deemed as not critical because he was able to "ambulate" with crutches, however unable to work on semi's due to his "lack of active mobility". I thought it was pretty crazy that the same office that postponed his surgery was the one that helped him get his disability paperwork pushed through.

Personally I would rather pay higher prices than wait for care that I need. As far as the VA health system goes, I've heard great stories occasionally, however the majority of what I hear leans towards horror stories. Including the multiple hospitalizations a new doc caused for my brother because he had absolutely no idea what he was doing and didn't have anyone paying attention to what care he was providing to his patients.

All of this aside, I am truely sorry for your loss.

Col4570
02-25-2015, 05:42 PM
After suffering for many years with worn knee joints,I eventualy forced the issue by getting a private assessment and paid for the consultation.The surgeon stated that I should have had replacement Knees many years ago.He then put me on the priority list and in 2005 I had both Knees replaced with six months between each procedure.These where done on the National health scheme that we pay into during our working life so there was nothing for me to pay.A problem that now arises is that we have so many immigrants coming that they have access to the National health scheme,therefore financial burdens are placed on the scheme since there has been no contributions from the new residents until they arrive here,This is the case with Schools,Policing,emergency services Hospitals and doctors surgeries.Our infrastructure is under siege and this is reflected by long waiting times for medical assessment.

dakotashooter2
02-25-2015, 05:43 PM
Most of the people I know who have had cancer in the US went from diagnosis to treatment in under a week and even with treatment that fast a few have died fairly quickly. Have not heard what type of cancer it was...

My understanding is the Chemo treatment at least partially contributed to the stroke.

A problem that now arises is that we have so many immigrants coming that they have access to the National health scheme,therefore financial burdens are placed on the scheme since there has been no contributions from the new residents until they arrive here,This is the case with Schools,Policing,emergency services Hospitals and doctors surgeries.Our infrastructure is under siege and this is reflected by long waiting times for medical assessment.

Please forward this to our prez as it is exactly what I have suspected will happen here......

jcwit
02-25-2015, 06:36 PM
My understanding is the Chemo treatment at least partially contributed to the stroke.

If this was the case, it truly was way to bad.

Inexcusable!

MaryB
02-26-2015, 01:11 AM
Stress from waiting could have contributed also. Last thing you need fighting injury or illness is stress piled on top. Speaking from experience on that one with getting my neck repaired, 15 months after the accident the doc is finally going to do a fusion. Meantime the stress has led to me gaining weight, the inactivity due to arm pain added weight... I try to exercise but when it leaves you a ball of pain even on narcotics it is rough.