PDA

View Full Version : Smokin? Newbie question.

jgh4445
03-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Lots of smoke when I shoot cast boolits. So far, I've used the Leadhead, Keith type and have used a variety of powders, all in the 1250 fps and slower range, with the majority being in the 850 to 900 fps range. My caliber is .44. The Leadhead bullets with the blue/green lube are the only type I have used so far. Is there a combination that smokes least? What components make up the "smokeyness factor"? Is it the lube you use? The velocity? The powder? The powder/lube combo? I'm about to start casting my own and I'd like to cut down on the smoke a bit if possible.

mooman76
03-03-2008, 09:29 PM
As usual there are many things that cause the smoke. Some powders tend to smoke when not used toward max such as Unique and Alox tends to smoke sometime with certain powder combos and I am sure other lubes smoke at times also. I think it mostly the powder though and you didn't say what powder you use.

dmftoy1
03-04-2008, 06:38 AM
I started out using one of the "blue" lubes . .I think it was lbt or something like that and it smoked like crazy. I'm using Lars Carnuba Red now and it smokes enough to be annoying in an indoor range but I don't notice it at all outside. (the blue stuff was even bad outside) FWIW.

Have a good one,
Dave