jcwit
02-24-2015, 11:31 PM
Didn't take long. Justice is served.

TXGunNut
02-24-2015, 11:33 PM
Wow! Stephenville?

jcwit
02-24-2015, 11:37 PM
Correct, couldn't find anything to link to, to new.

TXGunNut
02-24-2015, 11:39 PM
Good, hope this brings their families and friends closure.

jcwit
02-24-2015, 11:41 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/24/jury-deliberations-begin-in-american-sniper-killing-trial/?intcmp=latestnews

MaryB
02-24-2015, 11:42 PM
Justice served, I didn't think an insanity plea would go far.

Omega
02-24-2015, 11:45 PM
Here you go.

http://fox13now.com/2015/02/24/jury-finds-eddie-ray-routh-guilty-in-american-sniper-case/ (http://fox13now.com/2015/02/24/jury-finds-eddie-ray-routh-guilty-in-american-sniper-case/)

TXGunNut
02-24-2015, 11:47 PM
Justice served, I didn't think an insanity plea would go far.

It was his only hope, sad thing is it sometimes works. As we say around here, that boy ain't right...but that's no excuse.

LUBEDUDE
02-25-2015, 03:21 AM
Good news for a change.

.30-06 fan
02-25-2015, 03:36 AM
State District Judge Jason Cashon sentenced Routh to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

is that justice? i think not.

texaswoodworker
02-25-2015, 03:41 AM
State District Judge Jason Cashon sentenced Routh to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

is that justice? i think not.

Someone who murdered 2 innocent men in cold blood will never be free to harm anyone else again. I do call that justice. I think they should have went for the death penalty, but life is fine too.

Hickory
02-25-2015, 04:32 AM
I wonder how long he stays alive in prison?

MaryB
02-25-2015, 04:34 AM
Not long is my guess

Ballistics in Scotland
02-25-2015, 05:37 AM
I wonder how long he stays alive in prison?

The prison authorities have taken on a responsibility for keeping him alive. The wackier a person is, the more incarceration is likely to be a torment to him. I remember when Hitler would still have been young enough for crackpot theories of his still being alive in some South American jungle to interest people. But what is death in a bunker to a man like that, compared with decades of gnawing his knuckles and mumbling in a corner?

Mind you, I think the attitude of sniping groupies has something to do with events like this. The First World War sniper I knew in childhood, who got into the army with the "Daily Mail" for the 4th August 1914 wadded up in his boots because he was smaller, weaker and shyer than the woman soldiers of today, possibly showed annoyance only once in his life. It was at the notion that he should have had a medal for killing people, because he didn't feel in any more danger than anybody else's four years on the Western Front, and killing anyone he could send home to take his pension would have been unchristian.

The accused sounds like he falls neatly into the gap between being a rational criminal and being crazy enough to be any excuse. I bet you didn't want him to feel accountable only to God and his own conscience. It works when everything is right, but that would have been a bit much to assume about him.

trapper9260
02-25-2015, 06:32 AM
All I know this is good news for a change for all that is going on.For what he try to get off on for his plea did not work in the past and glad to see it still stand.He will find out what the ones that worst then he is in jail.

lbaize3
02-25-2015, 08:50 AM
I am sure that there are some veterans in prison that will want to have some meaningful discussions with him.

Ballistics in Scotland
02-25-2015, 09:02 AM
Relying on other inmates to be part. ec., of the punishment, the old Gulag touch, is incompatible with civilization. I'd like to see them given shorter sentences (those that aren't obviously raving maniacs), but kept from contacting any other prisoner, ever. It would close down a university of criminal technique. They tried it in Victorian times, and a very large number of them went round the bend as a result - or in this man's case further round the bend. But nowadays they can be given books, exercise machines, carefully monitored videophone and TV (behind armoured glass), etc., and walls cost far less than the cost of surveillance of free-association convicts.

I don't know about the USA or individual states, but around the world the commonest test for "Not guilty by reason of insanity" is "Does he know the difference between right and wrong?" I sometimes think clever defence lawyers, in trying to resist such a plea, may be aware of what Captain Cremony said in his book on the Apache Indians. If you think an Apache doesn't know right from wrong, just try wronging him and see what he thinks. Criminals are seldom behind-hand in seeing it from that angle, and they do not reject the idea of justice being retributive and deterrent.

countryroads
02-25-2015, 11:49 AM
My guess is that he converts to islam shortly after his appeal fails and becomes a hero to all of the other recently converted jail house muslims because he dispatched so many of their erstwhile brethren in the sandbox. Then, obama will trade him and four other islamic thugs for another deserter.

Just a wild guess............

MaryB
02-26-2015, 01:32 AM
Rumor has it he converted to islam while guarding prisoners(closest he every got to combat too). Phone calls home where he sympathized with his prisoners etc.

snowwolfe
02-26-2015, 01:56 AM
I hope he gets bent over the table every time his cell mates gets the opportunity. I have no forgiveness for this animal after he shot the guy in the back.

MtGun44
02-26-2015, 11:28 AM
The most important thing is to reliably established that we have the right
person that did the crime. That seems to be essentially 100% certain in this
case.

If the other inmates would like to discuss it with him, I wouldn't spend a lot
of extra effort preventing that, it would seem that he has pretty well expended any
claims to special protection by the state from violence by others, although explicit
revenge shouldn't be a goal.

The primary issue is making 100% sure he doesn't have the slightest opportunity
do it again. All else is secondary. IMO, the purpose of this collective action which we
call 'the justice system' is to protect individual innocent members of society from those that
would harm them. Now that we know for certain that this person will harm people, he
should never again, under any circumstances, have the opportunity to harm someone.

Actually, though there is a small possibility that he will cause more problems
in the future, perhaps even get out through some legal shenanigans. Because of
that, we should just execute him, which will guarantee that no further crimes
will be committed by him.

NavyVet1959
02-26-2015, 11:39 AM
Didn't take long. Justice is served.

Nope, not justice... He murdered TWO in cold blood... Justice would be killing him TWICE. If we were to kill him just once, that would only be half-justice. If he is put in jail for the rest of his life with 3 square and a cot, what is that? Quarter-justice?

dakotashooter2
02-26-2015, 03:46 PM
His punishment and restitution should be wandering into an ISIS camp with explosives strapped to him.............

MtGun44
02-26-2015, 04:47 PM
Neat idea.

Hickok
02-26-2015, 05:19 PM
After all Chris Kyle endured in combat, and for his wife who was waiting at home, such a tragedy this had to happen. So sad.

white eagle
02-26-2015, 06:04 PM
Yippeeeeeeeeee!

Ballistics in Scotland
02-26-2015, 10:12 PM
I hope he gets bent over the table every time his cell mates gets the opportunity. I have no forgiveness for this animal after he shot the guy in the back.

Never expect others to do what you wouldn't do yourself.

texaswoodworker
02-27-2015, 12:14 AM
Never expect others to do what you wouldn't do yourself.

That's more like a high probability. He's in there for the long haul, and SOMETHING will eventually happen to him. Either bubba will give him a human booster shot in the showers, or someone will shank him for any number of reasons.

He brought it on himself, so I don't feel sorry for him.

Ballistics in Scotland
03-01-2015, 09:46 AM
Any ideas on what should be done to people who sexually assault other prison inmates? I think a lot is going on that most of humanity wouldn't wish on someone whose behavior they detested.. but he would.

texaswoodworker
03-01-2015, 11:20 AM
Any ideas on what should be done to people who sexually assault other prison inmates? I think a lot is going on that most of humanity wouldn't wish on someone whose behavior they detested.. but he would.

They get tried for sexual assault and then... put right back into prison. Some of the more violent offenders may end up under tight security in their own personal cell away from the others, but there are plenty out in the general population to replace them.

If you look at someone wrong, you get shanked. If you wrong the wrong person, you get killed. If you drop the soap, you get raped. If you mind your own business, you still might end up dead just because someone wanted to prove how bad they were. Many of these people are in there for life. What do they have to loose?

That's prison life for you. There's not a thing you can do about it except do what you can to avoid it.

TXGunNut
03-01-2015, 12:07 PM
I still think a rapid dog gets put down, not kennel'd..... and I'm not much for footing the bill for a lifetime of kennelling.

Last I heard it was cheaper than killing him with all the appeals process entails and all the other formalities. Let him rot in a cell, he's not worth killing.

William Yanda
03-01-2015, 12:10 PM
Do you suppose this guy might be an exception to the "Once a marine, always.....?

TXGunNut
03-01-2015, 12:11 PM
Rumor has it he converted to islam while guarding prisoners(closest he every got to combat too). Phone calls home where he sympathized with his prisoners etc.

That's the first theory of his motivation that makes sense to me.

gew98
03-01-2015, 12:33 PM
Last I heard it was cheaper than killing him with all the appeals process entails and all the other formalities. Let him rot in a cell, he's not worth killing.

That's the sad part of our over litigous "legal" system. Violent perpetraitors need to be given short shrift and not years/decades of legal manuevering at taxpayers expense to keep them fat and happy. Sure some unfortunates get railroaded by typically corrupt cops & prosecutors and are on death row. This peice of human debris could have killed two old ladies and I'd still want him dead. Not sure where the fella here comes off with some sniper fanboy element in disparaging terms as somehow part of the problem. Our farked up legal system has kept toads like Manson alive - sure he's crazy , but he is a cold blooded killer & manipulator and should have been put under right after his conviction. Scum like that serve NO purpose being alive.

oliversasha
03-01-2015, 04:11 PM
Quick trial----he should get what he gave----you take a life---you give up yours----other backward countries as we call them do not dilly dally around----guilty---up against the wall---the Boston punk----strap a pressure cooker to him---drop from a plane over ocean---fish food---we have 5% of worlds population---65% of prison population---we can not afford this anymore

MaryB
03-02-2015, 12:07 AM
For cut and dry cases where the evidence is strong like this one they should get the death sentence and 2 years to appeal. End of 2 years hang them.

MaryB
03-02-2015, 12:09 AM
Saw a reference in an article that many judges own stock in the private prison system. Huge conflict of interest in my opinion. Nobody involved in putting people in prison should be allowed to own stock in that prison or any other prison.

Quick trial----he should get what he gave----you take a life---you give up yours----other backward countries as we call them do not dilly dally around----guilty---up against the wall---the Boston punk----strap a pressure cooker to him---drop from a plane over ocean---fish food---we have 5% of worlds population---65% of prison population---we can not afford this anymore

osteodoc08
03-02-2015, 07:35 AM
Great, another leech sucking tax dollars out of our pockets. A CB to the head would have been much cheaper.

jcwit
03-02-2015, 07:52 AM
A few weeks ago we had this

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?266607-What-has-God-done-for-you-today

Now we have reversed course.

Which way do you want it, can't have it both ways.

FISH4BUGS
03-02-2015, 04:41 PM
Someone who murdered 2 innocent men in cold blood will never be free to harm anyone else again. I do call that justice. I think they should have went for the death penalty, but life is fine too.
I am not sure I agree. He will have ample opportunity behind bars to murder again if he wants to. In Massachusetts people with life with no parole sentences ARE getting parole after 40, 50 or more years.
No...the death penalty was warranted. THAT is the only sentence that is justice.

waynem34
03-02-2015, 05:08 PM
Now we need to get to the execution.

popper
03-02-2015, 06:38 PM
No parole doesn't mean no pardon. Same nonsense going on with the guy who killed the DA & 2 others. Insane as his brain is faulty from diabetes. Not to mention he & wife were druggies - for medicinal purposes - they claim.

texaswoodworker
03-02-2015, 10:59 PM
I am not sure I agree. He will have ample opportunity behind bars to murder again if he wants to. In Massachusetts people with life with no parole sentences ARE getting parole after 40, 50 or more years.
No...the death penalty was warranted. THAT is the only sentence that is justice.

And he's just as likely to be killed himself. They may handle killers like that in Massachusetts, but this is Texas. We handle things a lot differently. I do agree that he should have gotten the death penalty though.

Ballistics in Scotland
03-06-2015, 06:40 AM
They get tried for sexual assault and then... put right back into prison. Some of the more violent offenders may end up under tight security in their own personal cell away from the others, but there are plenty out in the general population to replace them.

If you look at someone wrong, you get shanked. If you wrong the wrong person, you get killed. If you drop the soap, you get raped. If you mind your own business, you still might end up dead just because someone wanted to prove how bad they were. Many of these people are in there for life. What do they have to loose?

That's prison life for you. There's not a thing you can do about it except do what you can to avoid it.

In the UK we have had some very high-profile convicts, such as Irish pub bombers, released and heavily compensated on the basis that deliberate police or forensic scientists' mishandling of evidence made the convictions unsafe. Those were people there seems a realistic possibility still committed the crime. But we have also had some conclusively proven, by DNA or other tests available since crimes of long ago, to have been innocent. The conviction seemed to be beyond reasonable doubt - you wouldn't want that test to be any easier for your neighbourhood predator, if indeed as much - and yet evidence proved it completely impossible that they could have committed the crime. Not everybody would prefer the money. In fact most, particularly those divorced, with their children adopted and their career irrecoverable, may have felt it a miserably inadequate restitution. But it's the best anybody could do, and it bears hurling him up through a trapdoor and hoping his vertebrae will join together.

In response to decades of appeals by family and friends, DNA tests were recently done on a particularly repulsive British rape-murderer of the 1950s. They proved (fortunately, in view of the difficulty of unhanging him), that he was guilty as charged. But suppose it had gone the other way, what could society do if prison had provided some of the experiences a few here are getting their rocks off on? With a living prisoner it would simplify the problem if you had a going rate for being violently sodomized. But probably you don't.

Ballistics in Scotland
03-06-2015, 07:17 AM

I wonder if the UN could put an end to war by ruling that any soldier hit with some sort of paintball gun would never return to his home and family, but would be incarcerated until his old age, and then turned out to make his own way? I think that would be a far greater deterrent to military service, and to politicians presenting voters with the casualty lists, than actual war casualties as they are.

That will never happen, of course. But violent death is just an occupational risk among the young ghetto-dwellers who figure disproportionately in crime statistics. It does not seem to deter them from much. Clearly even Texas's sixteen or seventeen executions per annum, for well over a thousand murders committed,, isn't going to do it.

jcwit
03-06-2015, 08:57 AM
Just a note here. The Death penalty was not even an option in this trial.

blackthorn
03-06-2015, 01:07 PM
If you really want to stop war----simply change the rules to make the elected leaders lead the first charge! Stop the war now --- or no more politicians --- either way the electorate wins!!!

jcwit
03-06-2015, 01:38 PM
If you really want to stop war----simply change the rules to make the elected leaders lead the first charge! Stop the war now --- or no more politicians --- either way the electorate wins!!!

Ain't gonna work guy, even the tribes went to war.

Two species regularly go to war, ants and man. Both mainly over territory, when one gets down to the bottom of it. Yes man also over ideals. Somehow I seriously doubt the ants have politicians.

texaswoodworker
03-06-2015, 04:22 PM
Ain't gonna work guy, even the tribes went to war.

Two species regularly go to war, ants and man. Both mainly over territory, when one gets down to the bottom of it. Yes man also over ideals. Somehow I seriously doubt the ants have politicians.

They have a queen. She's fat, entitled, and probably takes the workers and soldiers for granted. Sounds like a politician to me. :P

jcwit
03-06-2015, 06:32 PM
Is she elected as ours are?

jcwit
03-06-2015, 06:40 PM

Fat? Not really. Furthermore there may be many, many, so called queen's.

As far as entitled, and taking the others for granted, for your reading pleasure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_ant

An established colony[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Queen_ant&action=edit&section=4)]

The term "queen" is not particularly apt, as the queen ant has very little control over the colony as a whole. She has no known authority or decision-making control; instead her sole function is to reproduce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reproduce). Therefore the queen is best understood as the reproductive element of a colony rather than a leader. Once a colony is established, the worker ants meet the queen's needs such as giving her food and disposing of her waste. Because ant social structure is very complex and individual ants are relatively simple, an ant colony can be thought of as a single organism, and the individual ants as cells or limbs of the organism, as the individuals can rarely survive on their own.

Ballistics in Scotland
03-07-2015, 12:27 PM
Keep her indoors, pregnant and barefoot? Works for them, I suppose. I don't know about ants, but with bees the workers can take an ordinary larva, install her in a special queen cell and feed her royal jelly, and they turn her into a queen. Then her first act on emerging as a large but relatively normal sized insect is to go around any other queen cells, created as insurance or by others who are discovering the two-party system, and sting potential usurpers to death.

Robert Ardrey the anthropologist (or popular anthropologist, as anthropologists term him) described seeing a flower pretty much like a hyacinth in Africa. The little flowerets were green at the tip, then bicoloured, and most were solely the colour of the flower. He came nearer and the flowerets all took flight. They were individual insects. What was even more remarkable was that they all came back to their place on the branch, green with green and so on.

Clearly neither bees nor hyacinth-flowerets are working to plan, so what gives them an instinct like that? A generation per year or so to do their evolving in, I suppose.

The thing that always puzzles me is that Americans have a lively and mostly correct understanding of how politicians, like every other form of government since the Fall from Eden, overcome the democracy problem. They are aware of what is wrong with the courts, the police etc. But it never seems to occur that those same authority figures might give untrousered foreigners or domestic criminals a raw deal.

blackthorn
03-07-2015, 01:14 PM
Quote "Ain't gonna work guy, even the tribes went to war."

Maybe BUT the quality would sure improve!

Alan in Vermont
03-07-2015, 01:43 PM
I still think a rapid dog gets put down, not kennel'd..... and I'm not much for footing the bill for a lifetime of kennelling.

My thoughts exactly!!

texaswoodworker
03-07-2015, 07:54 PM

Fat? Not really. Furthermore there may be many, many, so called queen's.

As far as entitled, and taking the others for granted, for your reading pleasure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_ant

An established colony[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Queen_ant&action=edit&section=4)]

The term "queen" is not particularly apt, as the queen ant has very little control over the colony as a whole. She has no known authority or decision-making control; instead her sole function is to reproduce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reproduce). Therefore the queen is best understood as the reproductive element of a colony rather than a leader. Once a colony is established, the worker ants meet the queen's needs such as giving her food and disposing of her waste. Because ant social structure is very complex and individual ants are relatively simple, an ant colony can be thought of as a single organism, and the individual ants as cells or limbs of the organism, as the individuals can rarely survive on their own.

Oh, just laugh at the joke and quit talking everything literally. :p