PDA

View Full Version : Shot my First ML RB match

standles
03-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Well I have been piddling with a muzzleloader for a bit and decided to enter my clubs annual Black Powder shoot. I have a lyman great plains 50 cal with a green mountain RB bbl on it. I shoot .490 ball with .018 pathc and 70gr FFFG.

This was so much stinking fun. I shot primitive class and it was a field of all types of targets. from 10yds to 150yds. sizes ranged from a charcoal briquette hung at 10 yards to 12"x12" plate at 150yds.

Out of 25 tgts I hit 19 of them. My best (read proudest shots) were hitting the briquette at 10 yards in a wind and cutting the piece of string at 15yds. I would have had a 3rd but card on edge trick shot I only severed 3/4ths of the card so not a complete cut.

Ok just wanted to say I have found yet another reason to go to the range... :mrgreen:

Steven

R.M.
03-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Sounds to me that another ones been hooked. :drinks:

waksupi
03-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Addicting, isn't it?

standles
03-03-2008, 10:29 PM
It is that.

A few of the folks were out in the period garb. Maybe I can start coming up with my own outfit. Seemed to add to the realism.

Not sure where I can find me a squaw thought. [smilie=1:

Steven

Ps.

Orderd the RB moulds today.

SWIAFB
03-03-2008, 10:43 PM
standles' Black powder shooting is what startrd me in casting. I have been a fabricater of reload-able ammo for about 30 years .I've been casting round ball for about 10 yrears. Last year I bought a $6.00 Lee 360 gr Improved Minne mold used at agun show and started casting from there. Bye the whey, it took about 4 or 5 bOOlits, and I had keepers. Pure lead at 7.0 bnh and 700 degree pore. This hobby is VERY adictive so please be fore-warned.

yeahbub
03-15-2008, 12:39 AM
Well I have been piddling with a muzzleloader for a bit. . . . . This was so much stinking fun. . . . Steven

ROFLMAO!!! Shooting black powder. . . . Stinking fun . . . . . :mrgreen:

Yes, it is! I thoroughly agree. My favorite ones were pork shoots and grocery shoots. A FAR more entertaining way to shop than putting on miles in the aisles at the grocery store.

I once had occasion to meet with a young fundamentalist fellow at a local restaurant to discuss matters pertaining to the Bible an hour or so after I had finished a muzzle loading rifle competition. All went well as we discussed various aspects of belief, some we agreed on, some not at all. It was two weeks before I heard, through a mutual friend, that he too enjoyed most of our conversation, but had occasional misgivings as he caught the occasional strong whif of the demonic coming from my direction. . . . Misgivings kindly dispelled by the friend's explanation of muzzleloading competition and what causes the waftings of brimstone.

jackley
03-15-2008, 03:54 AM
I'm sorry to here you got the bug Standles. Now money will be spent on all kinds of plunder and not just on moulds and powder. You'll be getting an earring, letting you hair grow long and running off to Rondy on the weekends. See at the nationals.
4 ELKS

Beerd
03-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Yes, indeed. It's a slippery slope you're trodding.

If your club has an ANNUAL shoot, you might suggest they hold one a little more often. Then again you might not, you probably would be appointed match director.:drinks:

JeffinNZ
03-15-2008, 10:38 PM
I could stand on the gong range with my .40cal flinter ALL day and night. Just love it.

Bigjohn
03-16-2008, 12:57 AM
I could stand on the gong range with my .40cal flinter ALL day and night. Just love it.

Jeff, I also have a .40 cal. Flinter. Use a .395" Rb & 45grs 3Fg; 3 or 4Fg priming.

What size game have you tried with yours and what sort of success? I have always been hesitant to try for anything bigger than rabbits/foxes.

John.

JeffinNZ
03-16-2008, 04:45 AM
Well there was this goat:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/IHgoat2.jpg
And regularly wallabies like:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/IH1stroo.jpg
I shoot .395 cast balls in an 18 thou patch over 25-50gr of 3Fg depending on what I am shooting at what range.

Boz330
03-16-2008, 11:57 AM
Shot a white tail with mine at 90yd. Won't try it again. Ended up putting 5 rounds into it before it expired. All but the first were under 20yrd. The 50 or 54 put them right down.

Bob

Bigjohn
03-16-2008, 07:34 PM
Interesting, Jeff. I had better do some more research on load developement with mine. Small fallow would be about where I would call the limit.

Boz330, Not the ideal way to bag a deer and something I hope to avoid which is why I asked the question. Did you do an autopsy on the deer to find out where it failed?

To get a large calibre rifle of the type I like is a two year wait from GRRW's Alan Vaisham or the other option is an Italian Flinter. I could use the Brown Bess but with my level of mobility these days it would be a long and painful stalk to get in close enough.

Thank you for answering my question.
John

jackley
03-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Interesting, Jeff. I had better do some more research on load developement with mine. Small fallow would be about where I would call the limit.

Boz330, Not the ideal way to bag a deer and something I hope to avoid which is why I asked the question. Did you do an autopsy on the deer to find out where it failed?

To get a large calibre rifle of the type I like is a two year wait from GRRW's Alan Vaisham or the other option is an Italian Flinter. I could use the Brown Bess but with my level of mobility these days it would be a long and painful stalk to get in close enough.

Thank you for answering my question.
John

You could try Track of the Wolf they have flinters for sale all the time. Or you could get a kit and build one. Kits range from just cleaning them up and putting the finish on to inlaying the lock, stock and barrel.
Jerrt

Nardoo
03-18-2008, 05:28 AM
Standles,

Gambling is an easier addiction to beat. I went to my first rondy last year and likewise did OK. Over two days there were all kinds of interesting and difficult events. With my little 36 cal Seneca I won the potato shoot and the gong shoot and you have never seen a prouder shooter ( and I shoot AA trap).

Give me the black stuff any day.

Nardoo

piwo
03-23-2008, 08:02 PM
You could try Track of the Wolf they have flinters for sale all the time.
Jerrt

If I'm reading this correctly, BigJohn is living outside continental USA. Not sure how other governments treat BP rifles or Kits, so ordering from Track may or may not be an option.

RugerFan
03-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Well there was this goat:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/IHgoat2.jpg
And regularly wallabies like:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/IH1stroo.jpg
I shoot .395 cast balls in an 18 thou patch over 25-50gr of 3Fg depending on what I am shooting at what range.

Beautiful rifle by the way.....:Fire:

Bigjohn
03-25-2008, 02:36 AM
If I'm reading this correctly, BigJohn is living outside continental USA. Not sure how other governments treat BP rifles or Kits, so ordering from Track may or may not be an option.

You are quite correct; I would need an import licence, authority from the State Firearms Branch, Custom Clearence/Authorisation etc, etc. Alan is an excellent maker of Muzzle-Loading Firearms and well worth the wait or buy the parts in kit form from him.

The .40 cal. flinter I have is close to what Jeffinz posted; I will try and photograph it this week.

John.

northmn
03-25-2008, 08:51 AM
Funny how times have changed. When I started in BP way back when the 45 was a very popular caliber and considered OK on deer and other critters. I actually hunted squirrels with my 45 as you need to head shoot them anyway. If you think a 32 is any different try one. They hit small game about like a 22 mag HP. Now people seen to jump from the smaller stuff like the 40 up to 50 and 54's. No big deal, just an observation. Most in my neck of the woods like the 54 real well with RB for deer and feel they have something if they ever get a chance to go elk hunting out west or black bear hunting. After playing around with smaller bores I kind of drifted back to the 45 for targets and plinking. Everyone should have at least one 45 long rifle flintlock with a 13/16 barrel. They really handle nice.

Northmn