PDA

View Full Version : Be afraid, be very afraid... (Brittany deep thought)

ohland
02-24-2015, 06:44 PM
Monday morning we were out for a walk... Things pretty much normal... Then without any commands, Belle comes back and STOPS about two feet in front of me, looking at me in that Brittany fashion.... I told her she was a good girl, and we were going that way (forward) and she took off.

Snow is too uneven and in places slick to run her. It has been MONTHS since we have scored on good cheese curds and Colby with Stumpf's Hot Olives in it (Silver Lewis Cheese Co-Op, I've not forgotten you!). Ice is mostly gone from the roads. Though it is supposed to snow some Saturday.

:eek:

Garyshome
02-24-2015, 06:54 PM
North of the cheddar curtain? Is it cold up there? I like cheddar.

ohland
02-24-2015, 07:26 PM
North of the cheddar curtain? Is it cold up there? I like cheddar.

It was -9 on Monday morning.

Cheddar is not my favorite. What is blissful is a good Pepper Jack cheese made from real cheese, not pasteurized. Pick up the cheese and squeeze it (Mr Whipple!), it should pretty well be like a brick. Pasteurized cheese (_not real cheese_ IMHO) will squeeze more. Unfortunately, young cheese will seem over-salted, which brings the experience back down to earth.

Muenster.... Provolone... Cheddar curds (dunno why not the cheese)... Smoked String Cheese (again, do NOT get the pasteurized silicone caulking!)... To live like a King in SW Wisconsin (not France)!

bayjoe
02-24-2015, 08:11 PM
Cheddar curds are the best!!! The squeakier the better

Rattlesnake Charlie
02-24-2015, 08:14 PM
They ain't got much taste and are hard on the teeth when frozen. Only one more month on my work assignment here in SW Michigan.

ohland
02-24-2015, 10:57 PM
They ain't got much taste and are hard on the teeth when frozen. Only one more month on my work assignment here in SW Michigan.

Terrible way to experience cheese curds. When they are fresh from the vat, it is enough to make strong men cry.

Silver Lewis also makes Ghost Pepper cheese, colby with ghost peppers. I was expecting an apocalyptic near-death experience involving much pain but it's a mild heat and flavor... Sorta disappointing. Looking for a more muy macho queso and they must be trying not to shock the older clients with a more vigorous cheese.

Not that I in any way want it, but they make a "German Style Brick Cheese" which actually is Biercase... Not quite Limburger. The old retrobate likes it with dark rye, a slice of onion, stone ground mustard, and if available, beer.

Silver Lewis has ground black pepper coated beef sausage, like summer sausage. I had expected a cheap greasy sausage, but it is fairly dry and tasty.

S-L also sells frozen breaded cheese curds that you can take home and fry up.

MaryB
02-24-2015, 11:27 PM
Friend brought a brick of that brick cheese to a BBQ 2 years ago. I unearthed it in the freezer not to long ago and it headed for the trash, nobody I know will touch it, stuff is to funky! Now a nice 10 year old cheddar is good stuff!

ohland
02-25-2015, 05:16 PM
Friend brought a brick of that brick cheese

Curious, I am related to the old retrobate (thus choice is not possible), but a "friend" that brings biercase sounds like a personal choice...

Just a thought....

MaryB
02-26-2015, 01:14 AM
Oh she likes the stuff, but she passed away shortly after that BBQ due to neck injuries when a street racer rear ended her Porsche 911 at 150mph while she was waiting at a red light. Engine of her car was found 125 feet away. Messed her up bad and the side effects of the injuries finally killed her. She was a Porsche collector and also a racer at Porsche events around the country. She drove this one coast to coast visiting friends and to race in CA(she lived in NJ). full race GT3RS and a one of a kind inside the USA. Full roll cage, 5 point harness, racing battery, special brakes etc etc. She timed her trips to visit friends and hit my annual 4th of July BBQ every year plus she had a business thing in Las Vegas she went to on each trip either coming or going from my house. She always showed up with WI cheeses, illegal in MN fireworks, and had grass fed bison shipped in each year for the 4 day BBQ party

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/GT3rs-003.jpg

ohland
02-26-2015, 10:10 AM
she passed away shortly after that BBQ

See, biercase is deadly.

1Shirt
02-26-2015, 11:28 AM
Tis hard to beat Amish or Meninite farmer cheese.
1Shirt!