PDA

View Full Version : A Vote For MidwayUSA

BruceB
02-24-2015, 12:08 PM
I'm placing this thread here, because of the high traffic on this forum and the fact that the "stuff" I just ordered is mostly for my casting activities.

My order to Midway, placed a few minutes ago, contained a list of sixteen items. ALL were in stock.

The total cost came to $320, including my donation of $5.24 to the NRA.... and THE SHIPPING WAS $17.12, which is only about 5% of the total. I find this to be very reasonable, and contrary to all the fevered criticism of Midway that I see in various places on the 'net. Delivery date is estimated to be February 27, which is THIS week.

I am a long time customer of Midway, and and the service I get keeps me coming back. I also order occasionally from other suppliers, and receive good service from them as well. We are fortunate to have such reliable and reasonable outfits waiting to supply our needs. However, my first choice on most occasions falls on Midway.

DougGuy
02-24-2015, 12:13 PM
Just don't fall into their trap of filling out the surveys that pop up from there, they use 3rd party vendors for this that are nothing but spammers you will get spammed with every conceivable kind of outdoor or hunting, ammo manufacturer, outfitter or 4wd related emails, your email addy will go on a list that will be freely shared with advertisers beyond yours or Midway's control..

DON'T click on their popups! They lost most of my business after I made one order and got tons of spam from just that order.

Edit: I did make an order today, the cutter I ordered was HALF of what Brownell's had it priced at, and I did notice shipping was a lot less than it usually is. The shipping on my order of two small items was less than priority mail but more than first class so let's see how long it takes to get here, as they wasted no time in telling me they were getting it ready for shipping.

geargnasher
02-24-2015, 12:23 PM
Indeed, Bruce. Midway seems to have modified their shipping costs considerably in the past few years, much the better. The best part, and why I don't mind paying a slightly higher price for most things, is the excellent service if there is a problem after the sale. Nothing is perfect, but we are indeed lucky that people like Larry Potterfield and others like him have done what they have.

Gear

btroj
02-24-2015, 12:31 PM
I love Midway for fast shipping. I can order before noon today and have it tomorrow. Nobody else does that.

Tar Heel
02-24-2015, 12:40 PM
MW recently revamped their shipping to retain market share. They were getting CREAMED and the criticisms were both warranted and valid.

Echd
02-24-2015, 12:52 PM
Their shipping prices got "better" but for anything other than fairly large orders, they will send it Fedex Smartpost, which can take upwards of a week to arrive. I purchased a single 1911 guide rod plug and it took over 8 business days to arrive! Spare me the talks of days long past and long wait times, that is unacceptable in today's market of better options...

besides that, their prices are no better and frequently worse than other places. For equipment it is difficult to beat Amazon's prices, especially when you can get Prime shipping. Grafs with a C&R discount tends to absolutely stomp midway as well, and their shipping is a flat fee. Brownell's prices tend to be significantly better than Midway's also.

I used to order a LOT from Midway, stopped when their shipping got unreasonable all of a sudden, and I have seen no real reason to go back to them. I think I had two orders with them last year and it was for that guide rod plug and some sierra matchkings that were out of stock in most other places... for the reason that they were a couple dollars more and the shipping was higher but I just had to have them.

I recently purchased an extra RCBS LAM2 and several sizing dies and the price comparison at the time between Midway and Amazon put it in Amazon's favor by about 25 dollars, and their shipping was totally free. I always comparison shop and Midway seldom wins out.

dudel
02-24-2015, 12:54 PM
+1 on Midway. My first order to them was 30 years ago. They seem to have all of what I want in stock. I have less split orders with Midway than with others. Kudos to Larry for putting back into the shooting community with the NRA roundup and Wednesday Night at the Range shows. Their shipping has seen much improvement over the years. I always get my birthday discount. Thanks Larry.

Echd
02-24-2015, 12:55 PM
I will add that if you purchase through smile.amazon.com you can make 0.5% of your purchase price go to a charity, and the NRA is a valid charity for that.

44man
02-24-2015, 01:02 PM
MW recently revamped their shipping to retain market share. They were getting CREAMED and the criticisms were both warranted and valid.
This is true. They were raping us with shipping and handling charges but seem to have reduced those. I never had any problems with orders but stopped many when I seen charges and went elsewhere. Small parts that would fit an envelope could triple in price.
I remember back when, prices were a little higher but shipping was free. Good bargain but Larry found he could charge more for shipping then it actually cost.
Every time I see him say "Thanks for the business" I get sick.
I don't want to see a $3 part cost $7 to $11 to send when i send the same thing for 61 cents.
Larry made a bed out of rocks and it will take time to change to straw.

richbug
02-24-2015, 01:04 PM
I just placed a $200 order and my shipping was $17 and change also(part was a case of shotshells, so some real weight there). The irritating part was when I built that cart load of stuff there was a banner that said "free shipping on $150 orders" but when I came back to place the order that offer was gone(a day or so later).

dragon813gt
02-24-2015, 01:11 PM
Midway gets my business when it comes to large orders. They seem to always have everything I want at the time. For small orders Amazon usually had what I want at a comparable cost.

I never choose USPS final delivery. It adds at least a day and in most cases 3-5 for me. I gladly pay more to have UPS deliver it to my door.

I'm glad Midway change their shipping costs. They were exorbitant and were being used as a profit generator. I'm not against profit. But I did choose to not buy from them if I considered the costs to high. They are a good company.

44man
02-24-2015, 01:13 PM
Beware any that charge shipping by what you spend. Then look at your box that says $5 when you were charged $17.

44man
02-24-2015, 01:16 PM
I just placed a $200 order and my shipping was $17 and change also(part was a case of shotshells, so some real weight there). The irritating part was when I built that cart load of stuff there was a banner that said "free shipping on $150 orders" but when I came back to place the order that offer was gone(a day or so later).
Common and I just call and give my free shipping offer. If they don't honor it I cancel.

Love Life
02-24-2015, 01:16 PM
I got a good laugh from people who posted how they were scammed by Midway USA's shipping. I was all like "Bro, didn't you even look at the cost of shipping?"

44man
02-24-2015, 01:25 PM
Some don't care, want stuff today! I just made an order to Midsouth, out of stock on an item but I am not in a hurry. I told them to send when the item comes.
You need to see Larry has most in stock because he loses orders and does not sell his stock.

jmort
02-24-2015, 01:25 PM
I have walked away from a few web-site chopping carts that I filled when it can time to check-out and I got the final tab and details.

Love Life
02-24-2015, 01:28 PM
I have walked away from a few web-site chopping carts that I filled when it can time to check-out and I got the final tab and details.

That is what I thought everybody did.

MBTcustom
02-24-2015, 01:48 PM
I've been shopping at MidwayUSA for 15 years. I like the place. I'll be continuing to give them my business when it makes good dollar sense to do so, and as long as I'm ordering large qualities of stuff, it always has. If I'm ordering just one or two things there's no way to come out ahead anywhere.
I think Larry Potterfield did right well for himself and I helped put him where he is now and I don't begrudge him. He has done a little for a lot of people, and the little he got in return added up to a lot. I wish we could all be that savvy.

geargnasher
02-24-2015, 01:53 PM
That is what I thought everybody did.

It's what everyone SHOULD do, but there are lots of things we think SHOULD happen that don't. Refer to the current "Obiturary" thread in Our Town.......

Gear

dragon813gt
02-24-2015, 02:03 PM
there's no way to come out ahead

Sure there is. I'm an Amazon Prime member. I use their streaming video service heavily. I also order enough that I would be paying a lot for two day shipping. Since the shipping is a bonus to the video service I come out ahead. Now if you sign up for the free two day shipping you need to use up $100 worth of shipping to break even.

jmort
02-24-2015, 02:06 PM
Agree. I use and like Amazon Prime.

DR Owl Creek
02-24-2015, 02:10 PM
I've been buying from MidWay for years. I've never had a complaint about their shipping or costs. Of course, I usually don't order one $5.00 item either. Try going to the Post Office, or anywhere else, and try telling them they should ship whatever item it is for you at a reduced rate, and let us know what they told you. If you can wait until you have a decent sized order, I think MidWay's shipping prices are quite reasonable.

Dave

44man
02-24-2015, 02:37 PM
Shipping is funny. I have ordered standard and got the next day. I will never pay more for speed because I never see any difference. I have had too many shipments arrive in one or two days to pay next day stuff. It still depends on how fast your order is made up and when it gets to the carrier. Most good places will pack and send right now. Others diddle around. When it takes a week to get your stuff in a box, forget it.

dudel
02-24-2015, 03:15 PM
Beware any that charge shipping by what you spend. Then look at your box that says $5 when you were charged $17.

Postage does not cover all of the shipping expenses. Doesn't include packaging and labor.

ShooterAZ
02-24-2015, 03:20 PM
Midway is my favorite place to shop. Reasonable pricing, shipping costs have improved, service has always been good. The website is easy to navigate too. All in all A+.

44man
02-24-2015, 04:55 PM
Postage does not cover all of the shipping expenses. Doesn't include packaging and labor.
True but you get a free box from the PO. The shipping cost covers the box. I handled freight and mail my whole working life. I never made more money. Same as hazmat, I made paper work out and it was never an additional cost. Then someone thought money can be made from it. Hazmat means load different and the loaders are not paid more, just put the stuff in a different section and protect it. We were trained and it cost no more to ship. Insurance cost no more either.
You absorb the cost of a box and add expenses to the product, workers are always the same cost. When you charge more for a gal to box an item it is adding to profit. She did not make more, only the owner. Handling charges are a way to soak you. Ask workers if they are paid more.
I worked part time making roof trusses and told the press guys the nail plates were too small for the wood sizes. They caught hell for using larger but loading on the truck had them falling apart with what the boss wanted. Boss would not listen and it cost him big time. He wanted to spend less with small plates. He would give a cutting order and the angles were wrong so I fixed them, saved him a few hundred thousands for the jobs, got a 25 cent raise. Don't think a gal putting stuff in a box is getting rich. There is no reason to add a handling charge except to make the boss richer.
Midway got bashed and has reduced shipping charges. Good, because they were taking advantage too long.
I deal with too many places that charge exact postage they pay. There is a difference when a $3 part costs as much as $100 worth of stuff to ship.
It is like the stuff on TV, get double, just pay separate postage and handling to find all is in one box but cost is double or triple. Do they think we are stupid? But wait, order right now and get this, just pay additional postage and handling. Soon you pay 3X what the items are worth.

wbrco
02-24-2015, 05:51 PM
MO sales tax usually what kills Midway for me. Adds 6-7%, plus shipping.

Eddie2002
02-24-2015, 06:02 PM
Made a killing at MW when I bought a Weaver 3x12 50mm scope. It was a discontinued Buck Commander model that I found in the clearance section for under $85.00 and free shipping. Just had to pull the trigger on the scope, it even has the Weaver lifetime warrenty. I shop around for the best price from all the vendors, MW was the best price and I was in the market for a new scope for my 30-06.

jonas302
02-24-2015, 06:07 PM
Midway is my favorite first spot to look they appear to listen to the customers and brought down shipping costs and sent out the paper catalog again shipping has always been very prompt I always choose the cheaper smart post when its an option it has never failed me

dragon813gt
02-24-2015, 06:28 PM
There is a difference when a $3 part costs as much as $100 worth of stuff to ship.

Shipping costs have nothing to do w/ item value other than additional insurance costs. A $750 control board weighs less and fits in a smaller box than a $60 motor. Package size and weight are what determine shipping costs.

And what company is going to absorb the cost of shipping materials? Midway does not always use the "free" flate rate boxes. Shipping materials costs a good bit of money and no business is going to give them away. You can either add their cost to all items which makes small items cost more and you most likely lose money when shipping large items. Or you charge based on the cost for each individual package.

If you think the shipping cost is to much money then don't buy from them. As a consumer you have no idea what Midway's overhead is or what they pay their employees. I don't ever think about what the person boxing up the items gets paid. Because it's a low pay menial job that requires no skill.

Love Life
02-24-2015, 07:25 PM
I don't ever think about what the person boxing up the items gets paid. Because it's a low pay menial job that requires no skill.

Troof.

garym1a2
02-24-2015, 08:12 PM
l always goto Midway first, if their prices are close I use them. They have the best return policy for me.

I goto Amazon only when I want it fast or get a better price.

Elkins45
02-24-2015, 08:22 PM
My first order from Midway was sometime around 1987 when they placed a small ad in one of the gun mags advertising new Midway headstamped pistol brass. I think (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) the '86 FOPA had just recently made it legal to buy components mail order across state lines again, either that or I had just never seen an ad before. Anyway, I wrote them a letter and sent them a check, and a couple of weeks later a box showed up with some beautiful 357 Magnum brass, most of which I still have today. When they started sending me catalogs my customer number was 41311001--the first in my zip code.

I was a regular customer back in those pre-Internet and pre-hazmat fee days, and they are still my go-to company for shooting and reloading stuff. I am also a Wideners, Midsouth and Graf's customer too, but Midway is still the first place I check. On the years I get the birthday discount you can pretty well count on my dropping a few hundred bucks of a present for myself.

The 'free' shipping was nice back in the day, and it swung pretty far in the opposite direction for a while, but Midway still ends up being competitive many times when you total it all up.

44man
02-25-2015, 10:14 AM
I believe it was UPS that initiated the hazmat fee. Heavy handed loading caused problems. Then the next day air for firearms because they lost a pile of Beretta pistols that employees removed from shipments.
Before UPS got their own planes we handled them at UAL, thousands of little boxes just thrown in huge wire cages that we had to unload and stack in the planes, hated it! I always use Fed Ex when I can. When I was working, we could take a box in the Fed Ex terminal and get a discount. Not at UPS.
I have bought a ton of stuff from MW over the years and still check prices. A deal is a deal no matter from where. They were always good to order from until they started the "handling" stuff.
I think they understood it was costing them sales. I still use them if they compare to other companies.
We got a small raise in SS and then they took it and more back for medicare. Shipping is always hard. Just checked an item for the wife, not MW, cost was $10 and shipping and handling was $12.50, not hardly getting an order from us. Small item would fit a $5 USPS box.

Shiloh
02-25-2015, 11:50 AM
I have ordered from Midway on Monday, and had my stuff on Wednesday before. Barrels and bigger items have taken one extra day. Fast Service!!

Shiloh

bedbugbilly
02-25-2015, 04:00 PM
I stopped using Midway when the shipping cost got out of hand. Since that changed, I've started using them again and have been very happy - great service and quick delivery so am a dedicated customer again.

As far as their "survey" - I did it a few times and never again - way too much spam.

3006mv
02-25-2015, 10:33 PM
Always search for midway coupons online and their free shipping items. I gave them a thumbs down b/c they would not send me gardening machete to CA recently. But I went to UM-Columbia so I am loyal to them still.

Doggonekid
02-25-2015, 11:56 PM
I have used Midway several times and have always had good service every time. I don't make orders when they don't have everything in stock. I don't want to pay shipping twice. I always get their burro delivery system because it is cheeper and I am patient. My account makes it easy to order from them. Easy is good.:smile:

44man
02-26-2015, 10:39 AM
I needed powder and seen NO BACK ORDERS any where. Guess what, 4759 to be done away with.
I called Midsouth and the gal said "SURE" I could back order it. Nobody else would. Powder Valley, etc. I got 16# shortly.
I just made another order but .30 caliber GC's out of stock. They will hold until they come in. I don't want to pay more postage for two shipments.
I have ordered from Sinclair and only paid what was on the box, Brownel's has been the same.
I sent a part to a fella that cost me 61 cents to send. To get what I sent would cost near $12 from anywhere.
I have ordered things that took two separate shipments with no additional costs. Rock Auto that one box sent USPS and another UPS. I deal with many and Water Softener parts is one, then Tiger Direct for puter parts. Pay actual postage. One or two days to get parts. Next day air is a farce, all goes on an airplane anyway. Only real heavy or dangerous goes by train or truck.

Mauser48
02-26-2015, 11:28 AM
They have good stuff but when i checked shipping was outrageous. 15$ shipping for a couple tiny weaver bases. I like cabelas for ammo and grafs for reloading.

osteodoc08
02-26-2015, 02:24 PM
I've used midway and looked at midway categories for as long as I can remember. I remember sitting with dad looking through cataloges. I've spent countless thousands with them and will continue to use them. First class outfit. They have responded to shipping criticisms and have changed for the better. I'd love to be able to sit at a deer camp and have a chance to hang out with Mr. Potterfield. I love reading his short stories. I bet they'd be better in person.

jlgehrke
02-26-2015, 04:09 PM
I was given a gift certificate at midwayusa.
proceeded to order some parts to fix turrent press
took me two days to get my order in as something was wrong with their computer so
tried using phone after being on hold 3 hours I gave up yestreday
tried today and it took an hour to finally get my order witch was priced 10 dollars cheaper at brownells:sad:

Ken in Iowa
02-27-2015, 03:05 PM
Having been a help desk tech for call center, the worst service will be in times of computer system outages.

I have been a satisfied Midway customer for many years.

Cd662
02-28-2015, 12:22 AM
I haven't really had a lot of problems with Midway, their items usually arrive pretty fast. I ordered some cheap action shooting belts from them and they were on back order for quite some time, but they were also a great deal so I didn't mind waiting. They were packed kind of goofy, in really tight rolls so the belts were kind of shaped funny, but wearing them a few times should fix them.

pls1911
03-02-2015, 09:30 PM
Lots of mileage on this post...
I too have been a Midway Customer for decades.
Others receive orders from time to time, but Midway is always "consulted".
If price and delivery is comparable, likely as not, Midway gets the nod.
Customer service has always been top notch in my experience.

Geezer in NH
03-09-2015, 07:31 PM
Sure there is. I'm an Amazon Prime member. I use their streaming video service heavily. I also order enough that I would be paying a lot for two day shipping. Since the shipping is a bonus to the video service I come out ahead. Now if you sign up for the free two day shipping you need to use up $100 worth of shipping to break even.Yep saved at least 100 bucks over the cost on shipping alone never mind the discount reloading tools cheaper than any where else

Geezer in NH
03-09-2015, 07:33 PM
Well duh being in business for 20 years that is part of the price, Thing handling as an extra price for nothing.

BST4227
03-17-2015, 01:25 AM
My first order from Midway was back around 1986 or 87 I believe is was 44 special brass that was head stamped Midway and I still have 96 out of 100 of them. My customer number was 80915-025 and as a young soldier Midway and Lock, Stock and Barrel where were my money went the farthest. When I was stationed in Germany it was those two companies and allowed me to get things that couldn't be had in the Rod and Gun Club.

However those were the good ol days, Larry Potterfield's policy of first come first serve a few years ago during the primer shortage may have been good for him and but sucked for those of us needing primers. I needed large rifle primers, I had signed up to be notified and when I got the email I had read it 15 minutes after I got the email they were gone, this happened a few more times and I emailed him. To my surprise he called me, we spoke about the primer and powder shortage and how it effected everyone and that I thought his first come first serve policy was part of the problem, he disagreed. I salute him for calling me, yet I feel that he only was interested in his bottom line.

Then came the "Smart Shipping" what a joke, it takes 3 to 4 days to get to a city near me and then it goes to the post office and takes another week to get to my house. The last time I ordered a single item from Midway, there was an added shipping fee because my order didn't meet a minimum shipping cost, like many big businesses it would seem that Midway has lost its way and its commitment to customer service.

I used to recomend to all my friends and shooting partners to use Midway, I no longer do that and I myself make sure that I check as many sources as I can find before I order and it often is not Midway now days, I used to be a diehard Midway fan, but alas no longer.

UBER7MM
03-17-2015, 01:35 AM
Lots of mileage on this post...
I too have been a Midway Customer for decades.
Others receive orders from time to time, but Midway is always "consulted".
If price and delivery is comparable, likely as not, Midway gets the nod.
Customer service has always been top notch in my experience.

+1, I agree!