PDA

View Full Version : 500 sw pro hunter katahdin chamber

canuck4570
03-03-2008, 12:07 PM
I have noticed that I am able tu put a 400 gr RCBS cast bullet in the barrel and push it until it tuches the rifling and put a case behing and still be able to close the action...
what I am asking is can I do like my friend does with is .458 ruger no 1 rifle ... it has a long chamber and he is able to load a 350 barne bullet out far anough that he uses the .458 Lott powder loading chart....

milltownhunter
03-03-2008, 09:43 PM
i have the same gun and mold have not shot it have you ?

Wayne Smith
03-04-2008, 08:28 AM
I'm getting one, I'll be watching!

Bass Ackward
03-04-2008, 09:14 AM
I have noticed that I am able tu put a 400 gr RCBS cast bullet in the barrel and push it until it tuches the rifling and put a case behing and still be able to close the action...
what I am asking is can I do like my friend does with is .458 ruger no 1 rifle ... it has a long chamber and he is able to load a 350 barne bullet out far anough that he uses the .458 Lott powder loading chart....

The beautiful thing about reloading in the privacy of your own little world, you can do anything you want .... at least once. :grin: I assume your question really is, can this be done safely? Sure. Can this be done unsafely? Sure.

Don't just assume, figure out your new volume. Volume is the key. Then just find load data for another case capacity close to that size and .... start low and work up. Trust in your chronograph!

Does it create ignition and powder position and containment issues? Sure.

Can they be overcome? Yes, as long as you don't create secondary projectile issues or you risk ringing or bulging. You are sort of trying a type of breach seating. But that is usually done with a fully engraved bullet at fairly low pressures. I assume this is for more horse power, which is what causes pause for concern.

Is it worth your time and trouble? We will find out when you help the next person that asks something along this line. :grin:

canuck4570
03-04-2008, 02:27 PM
i have the same gun and mold have not shot it have you ?
yes with peep sight only just got my scope recently .... a leopold mk 4 1.5x5 with illuminated special purpose reticle.. shoul be great... as far has accuracy...... superb .... at 200 yards all in a 6 inches cirle... forgot to say this is standing ... wy I shot at 200 yards the sight that was put on was the same they put on gun equiped with the v sight so it was to low (30 some inches at 100 yards higher.... if this happen to you call Gail at TC service center she sent me the tallest sight they have... havent tried it yet but should be Ok....me and my friend shot it and was suprised by this accuracy .... my load was 34 gr of imr 4227 and it was 1640 fps on the chrona.... shell wher a bit black not anough powder but shot great.... hope you have the same outcom.... Canuck

canuck4570
03-04-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm getting one, I'll be watching!
will be shooting again if that winther stop trowing snow at us.... will post the results..... Canuck

canuck4570
03-04-2008, 02:31 PM
The beautiful thing about reloading in the privacy of your own little world, you can do anything you want .... at least once. :grin: I assume your question really is, can this be done safely? Sure. Can this be done unsafely? Sure.

Don't just assume, figure out your new volume. Volume is the key. Then just find load data for another case capacity close to that size and .... start low and work up. Trust in your chronograph!

Does it create ignition and powder position and containment issues? Sure.

Can they be overcome? Yes, as long as you don't create secondary projectile issues or you risk ringing or bulging. You are sort of trying a type of breach seating. But that is usually done with a fully engraved bullet at fairly low pressures. I assume this is for more horse power, which is what causes pause for concern.

Is it worth your time and trouble? We will find out when you help the next person that asks something along this line. :grin:
will do be very carefull ... thanks for advice....Canuck

HORNET
03-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Canuck, Bass pretty much said it. Work up yiour loads to match your increased case volume using a similar capacity case for reference. FWIW, I've got a couple of loads where the boolit is barely seated into the case- makes handling easier than separate components. Got one for the 6.5x257 with the Lyman 266386 where the case mouth is barely 1/2 way up the lowest driving band (maybe .090 seating depth).