PDA

View Full Version : 32 Special receiver sight-Not enough height adjustment

BrianL
02-22-2015, 09:26 PM
I have run into a bit of a problem. I recently purchased a nice Winchester 64 in 32 Special and promptly ordered a Williams receiver sight that came with the Fire sight option. My eyes are getting iffy so it seemed like a good idea.

The only ammunition that I had loaded was a batch of plain based 170 grain running at about 1400 FPS. I set up at 25 yards and started to get it on paper. The bullets grouped very well but as I shot three shot groups moving up the target, I ran out of vertical adjustment. I do know that my light loads hit much differently in my 32 carbine but was able to adjust enough with the Lyman sight on that rifle with the original bead but to be fair, it uses most of the travel on that one too. Will loading it slower help, say 1000 FPS?

I have the option I suppose to get a lower front sight but was wondering if there are other options. The problem is that there are few bullets for the 32.

I was not sure where to post this.

runfiverun
02-23-2015, 01:13 AM
Shorter front sight or shoot faster loads.

Scharfschuetze
02-23-2015, 01:37 AM
I use the Lyman Model 66 on my Model 64 in 32 Special. It has enough elevation adjustment to shoot out to 300 yards when using the factory bead front sight, although I've replaced it with a blade front sight for a more military sight picture which is more precise and familiar to me. A good blade front sight will allow you to file it down to establish a good zero. Keep in mind though, that the front sight ramp that is standard on the Model 64 is pretty high already, so one can only lower the front sight so much.

If you like bead front sights, you can easily order one shorter than your current sight to help out.

I've been shooting 170 grain boolits at 1,200 fps up to 197 grain boolits at 1,700 fps and they are all within the capabilities of the sight which is scaled for 60 MOA on the vertical scale, but in reality probably has closer to 75 MOA total vertical adjustment.

Muskrat Mike
02-23-2015, 01:44 AM
I have run into a bit of a problem. I recently purchased a nice Winchester 64 in 32 Special and promptly ordered a Williams receiver sight that came with the Fire sight option. My eyes are getting iffy so it seemed like a good idea.

The only ammunition that I had loaded was a batch of plain based 170 grain running at about 1400 FPS. I set up at 25 yards and started to get it on paper. The bullets grouped very well but as I shot three shot groups moving up the target, I ran out of vertical adjustment. I do know that my light loads hit much differently in my 32 carbine but was able to adjust enough with the Lyman sight on that rifle with the original bead but to be fair, it uses most of the travel on that one too. Will loading it slower help, say 1000 FPS?

I have the option I suppose to get a lower front sight but was wondering if there are other options. The problem is that there are few bullets for the 32.

I was not sure where to post this.

When you say you ran out of vertical adjustment do mean your POI was low and you couldn't raise the rear sight any higher? If so as runfiverun said you need a lower front sight. If you couldn't get the rear sight low enough you need a higher front sight.

BrianL
02-23-2015, 07:30 AM
I should have been more specific. I have gone beyond the thread of the adjustment screw so that it is no longer engaged. That was using a center hold.
What I find a little odd is that the graduation scale is only in the middle of the range. I can manually position the sight in a correct location for this load but there is no screw adjustment.
The sight that comes with the set is .340 high and there are several steps below that down to .250.
Do You think that the calibration of the front sight meant for a carbine might be the problem? Would slowing the load help or make matters worse?

stubert
02-23-2015, 09:51 AM
I put a set of firesights on my 1895 guide gun and had to order the next shortest sight.

ofreen
02-23-2015, 10:55 AM
I put a lower front sight on my M94 30-30 to lower the profile of the Williams receiver sight. It is a good option, and I ended up with a better front sight.

mdi
02-23-2015, 01:55 PM
When I put a receiver sight on my Puma I had the same problem and had to switch to a higher front sight...

Char-Gar
02-23-2015, 02:19 PM
Shorter front sight or shoot faster loads.

Yep, that is it in a nutshell.

Blackwater
02-24-2015, 06:23 PM
Wow! You guys with those M-64's sure are lucky! Those things handle like no other lever gun ever made. Finely balanced. A real "Hunter's Gun." Mine shot like it had eyes, too. Hope yours will, but I have great faith they will with good loads. And Char-Gar's right, Run5 nailed it to start with. Another lil' tip is if yer eyes are beginning to fade, like mine are, and their acuity isn't what it usta' be, try the Merit Iris disc. Rotating the outer rim makes the center opening larger or smaller, just like in a camera shutter, and it's amazing how that can sharpen up your sight picture with irons, especially on the range. Nowadays, I need as big a white front bead as I can get to use them quickly, though. For fine shooting, use the tip top of the bead. Just a FWIW for any of you who, like me, are beginning to lose our visual acuity.

BrianL
02-24-2015, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the tip, Blackwater. I used to use the Merit disc system when I shot indoor pistol and I agree that it is a fine system.
Recently I have had to quit shooting in High-power competition due to a rare condition where intense focus on the front sight for more that a few shots makes my shooting eye go milky/grey like when you come in out of the bright light on a snowy day. It doesn't go away for hours sometimes. So a more open sight that I can see though the ghost ring of the receiver sight without the aperture seems to be the best bet.

I do agree about the 64's My grandfather on my mother's side had an early one in 32 Special that my father got to use the first time he met ma's parents. She bought him one as a wedding present in 1954 in 30-30. My brother just inherited that rifle and as we were admiring it, I knew that I needed to have one, to remember the both of them. I lucked out and found one on GB in 32 Special, also a 1954, for a decent price, though at the time a couple of hundred either way wouldn't have mattered.

tomon
02-28-2015, 12:27 PM
Brian......Did you ask Williams if they make a longer elevation scale and screw? I'm sure they make all their sights with a standard thread and sizing. I haven't tried them, but it would seem logical. Tom

BrianL
03-01-2015, 12:26 PM
tomon, I did look at a bunch of my Williams sights, some of them on bolt guns and it appears that they are all the same. I assume that the idea is to have them centered for travel either way with the most common bullets and front sights.
As it worked out, I liked the looks of the Firesight and bought a couple more for my other two rifles and didn't know that they are measured from the base so I ordered .340 high from the barrel and got .340 total height from the base of the dovetail. So now I have the right height sight only because I screwed up.

I traded out the fire sights and returned the peep in the middle of the range of travel and used the light load and center hold. Perfect height first shot. Going to the deer load, I could use a 6 '0' clock hold on the 2 1/2" bull at 25 yds so I may have floundered into a good thing.

Geezer in NH
03-09-2015, 07:39 PM
What I find a little odd is that the graduation scale is only in the middle of the range. I can manually position the sight in a correct location for this load but there is no screw adjustment.
The scale is movable, you have to change the front sight height and that is a common change, the sight maker is not at fault just the gunsmith!

BrianL
03-09-2015, 08:58 PM
The scale is not movable on a Williams sight. Perhaps you are thinking of the Lyman??
Either way, there is not enough screw travel to cover the scale, that is a fact. No one blamed the sight maker I just stated that it was odd not to have enough screw to cover the scale.
By the way it also does not make one a Gunsmith by being able to install two screws.

Geezer in NH
03-09-2015, 09:24 PM
The scale is not movable on a Williams sight. Perhaps you are thinking of the Lyman??
Either way, there is not enough screw travel to cover the scale, that is a fact. No one blamed the sight maker I just stated that it was odd not to have enough screw to cover the scale.
By the way it also does not make one a Gunsmith by being able to install two screws. I took it as a Lyman and both a Williams and a Lyman may need a front sight adjustment.

A screw may cover the scale when you change the FRONT sight. Common fix

Don't like the answer try to help well to bad I will not try to help again for anyone

BrianL
03-09-2015, 09:36 PM
A shorter front sight does not lengthen a screw. Not sure what your answer was but thanks for offering.
I heard that you folks in NH need to get more sun otherwise you get cranky[smilie=s:[smilie=s:

Geezer in NH
03-09-2015, 09:45 PM
A shorter front sight does not lengthen a screw. Not sure what your answer was but thanks for offering.
I heard that you folks in NH need to get more sun otherwise you get cranky[smilie=s:[smilie=s:
Well you are listed from NH but did you just move in from ma?, The front sight change will center your load , they will cost 5-15 bucks and will get you on center or we will just argue.have a good day.

BrianL
03-09-2015, 10:00 PM
I already have the new front sight and it is pictured above. Never argued the cure with you or anyone else, just commented on the sight's screw being short.
My only disagreement has been in title. I am a toolmaker by trade, an electrician because I can change a light bulb, a plumber because I can change a faucet washer, and a gunsmith because I can mount a sight, (and know that the screw is too short)
Just funning with you friend. By the way, I actually hail from up north in Littleton, lifetime NH resident, now in Cornish, been to MA a couple times by accident.

About the lack of sunlight making you cranky, I speak from experience.

Geezer in NH
03-09-2015, 10:05 PM
I already have the new front sight and it is pictured above. Never argued the cure with you or anyone else, just commented on the sight's screw being short.
My only disagreement has been in title. I am a toolmaker by trade, an electrician because I can change a light bulb, a plumber because I can change a faucet washer, and a gunsmith because I can mount a sight, (and know that the screw is too short)
Just funning with you friend. By the way, I actually hail from up north in Littleton, lifetime NH resident, now in Cornish, been to MA a couple times by accident
Sorry to come off as an ***. But change the sight and the problem of the short screw may go away. If not send Williams an email and get a taller cross piece.

The 32 special should be the same as a 30-30

BrianL
03-09-2015, 10:11 PM
Geezer,
I have installed the sight and it seemed to cure the problem. I was hoping to sight it in and update the post here but have not had time to try it as the roof is leaking now that we finally have had two or three days above freezing.

Geezer in NH
03-09-2015, 10:15 PM
Yep nice to see it getting warm. They are getting sap finally around me here in Sandwich. I sent you a PM lets keep this of the board.