PDA

View Full Version : Gout has got me again

abunaitoo
02-22-2015, 04:18 PM
Something is up
Gout came back today.
Not real bad, but a little uncomfortable to walk.
I drink Black Cherry in the AM.
Haven't eaten anything different.
Any suggestions to help????

Taylor
02-22-2015, 04:24 PM
I feel for you my friend.I could feel mine the other day,it didn't fully develop thank goodness.

You ever go to the cross in kole kole? If you do,you'll find my name.

jabo52521
02-22-2015, 04:27 PM
The cherry juice is good. I also keep an ice bag on the swollen area for pain relief.
Good luck my brother
Joe

jcwit
02-22-2015, 05:05 PM
Go to the Dr. and get a prescription for Allopurinol. It's cheap and you will never experience gout again if you take a tab a day.

Heck it may even be cheaper than the cherry juice.

Beagle333
02-22-2015, 05:07 PM
Gout is rough. Good luck!!!

jcwit
02-22-2015, 05:11 PM
Just did a little checking, $ .17 cents a day. How much does that cherry juice cost a day.

wlc
02-22-2015, 07:53 PM
Indocin(sp) is my friend. I usually feel it coming on and pop two immediately. Another 2 in about 4-6 hours. Typically that takes care of it. If not I keep taking it 2 tablets every 4-6 hours till it stops. Thank the good Lord, mine hasn't flared up in quite some time. Doc said I could go on the once a day pills, but that wasn't something I wanted to commit to. The Indocin works well and 8 times out of 10 the first two pills gets rid of my problem. I have learned to drink lots of water every day and that has helped a bunch too.

Fergie
02-22-2015, 08:02 PM
Is your kidney function OK?

My old man dealt with gout in the last few years of life. He cut out beer almost entirely(single malt man, so he didn't suffer terribly), and that had a good result on his gout.

Of course, if your health isn't order weight wise, or diet wise, you've got a higher risk for it.

Hope it passes quickly.

TCFAN
02-22-2015, 10:05 PM
Like jcwit says get a prescription for Allopurinol. I am not bothered with gout but what causes gout gives me kidney stones. DR. put me on Allopurinol years ago and I have never had another stone.One pill a day does the trick...........Terry

Rufus Krile
02-23-2015, 12:13 AM
Another vote for the Allopurinol... started w/ 2/day (600mg) but now only one. Indocin or Indomethicin are powerful anti-inflammatories that work well... but are also a risk to your liver and kidneys. The Allopurinol will get your ureic acid level down and stop the scale build up on/in your joints... then you just have to get the existing stuff worked down. Takes a little while but little by little the attacks become less frequent and less painful. I've been gout free for more than 2 years now but can remember having to crawl on my hands and knees to get to the bathroom. For anyone who hasn't experienced gout, well, there's really not much to recommend it.

btroj
02-23-2015, 12:18 AM
Allopurinol is a preventative medication. To stop the attack now colchicine is the old stand by. Indomethacin isn't a bad choice but can be hard on the GI tract in some people.
Prefention is the key for those afflicted with gout. Allopurinol plays a role but diet needs to be looked at also. Spend some time learning what foods are to be avoided.

Like any medical condition education is important. Please make sure the source of the information you use is relaible. You wouldn't use load data from just anyone, why accept medical advice from the same source?

jcwit
02-23-2015, 12:37 AM
WebMD is one on the best, also the mayo clinic site. Both are trusted.

abunaitoo
02-23-2015, 03:59 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.
I've been busy last few weeks. I think I wasn't drinking enough water.
Haven't found a doctor I trust. My old doctor passed away years ago.
I try to stay away from all prescription drugs anyway, unless ordered to take them.

Taylor
02-23-2015, 07:49 AM
When I was diagnosed with gout,all my uratic acid levels were normal.Later I found that arthritis can cause and trigger gout.

Lloyd Smale
02-23-2015, 08:21 AM
listen when the pharmacist gives advice.
Allopurinol is a preventative medication. To stop the attack now colchicine is the old stand by. Indomethacin isn't a bad choice but can be hard on the GI tract in some people.
Prefention is the key for those afflicted with gout. Allopurinol plays a role but diet needs to be looked at also. Spend some time learning what foods are to be avoided.

Like any medical condition education is important. Please make sure the source of the information you use is relaible. You wouldn't use load data from just anyone, why accept medical advice from the same source?

jcwit
02-23-2015, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.
I've been busy last few weeks. I think I wasn't drinking enough water.
Haven't found a doctor I trust. My old doctor passed away years ago.
I try to stay away from all prescription drugs anyway, unless ordered to take them.

Not trying to be argumative at all, just wondering.

What pray tell is wrong with prescription meds?

Just wondering, do you drink?

For the pain of gout I sure would look at a med to relive it.

btroj
02-23-2015, 05:15 PM
Doctors don't order us to do anything. We ask for advice and they give same. They may prescribe a medication but in the end it is up to you to decide to take it or not.

Ever think about the fact that under a technical description of a due that herbal or natural remedies qualify? They alter the natural physiology of the body and are therefore drugs.

Think on that a bit

27judge
02-23-2015, 05:31 PM
Over the years I have had 5 major operations with 1-3 weeks recovery. The gout put them to shame for pain level, WOW does that gout hurt tks ken