PDA

View Full Version : Loads for a traditions creedmore rigby match rifle .451

rmille6161
02-21-2015, 11:45 PM
Just bought and have on the way a traditions Creedmore rigby rifle barrel is stamped .451 with a twist of 1 in 20. any thoughts of bullets and loads for this black powder front loader

Tatume
02-22-2015, 07:43 AM
Welcome to the forum.

This mold was made for the Parker-Hale Volunteer rifle, and should work very well in your new rifle. Use either pure lead or lead with a tiny amount of tin.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/497427/lyman-1-cavity-bullet-mold-451114-45-caliber-451-diameter-450-grain-volunteer

My Parker-Hale shoots 90 grains of FFFg into tiny groups at 100 yards, and this match rifle has killed many deer. The international champion who traded it to me (it was a prize gun won in a tournament in Germany) said it shoots 70 grains of FFFg Swiss even better! In my hands accuracy is the same with the two loads, so I use the heavier one.

For practice loads I size my bullets in a 0.450" die, just so they will load easily. They upset upon firing and shoot very accurately. For hunting I leave them unsized to reduce the possibility that the bullet will migrate away from the powder charge during a day of hunting. The point of impact and accuracy are the same.

Enjoy it, you have a good one.

Take care, Tom

Tatume
02-22-2015, 07:44 AM
P.s., we have a muzzleloading forum too.

Ballistics in Scotland
02-22-2015, 08:34 AM
Welcome to the forum.

This mold was made for the Parker-Hale Volunteer rifle, and should work very well in your new rifle. Use either pure lead or lead with a tiny amount of tin.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/497427/lyman-1-cavity-bullet-mold-451114-45-caliber-451-diameter-450-grain-volunteer

My Parker-Hale shoots 90 grains of FFFg into tiny groups at 100 yards, and this match rifle has killed many deer. The international champion who traded it to me (it was a prize gun won in a tournament in Germany) said it shoots 70 grains of FFFg Swiss even better! In my hands accuracy is the same with the two loads, so I use the heavier one.

For practice loads I size my bullets in a 0.450" die, just so they will load easily. They upset upon firing and shoot very accurately. For hunting I leave them unsized to reduce the possibility that the bullet will migrate away from the powder charge during a day of hunting. The point of impact and accuracy are the same.

Enjoy it, you have a good one.

Take care, Tom

All of that sounds about right, except that you might get less tendency for pressure to lift the hammer, and thus to erode the nipple, if you used coarser powder. Ideally the fired cap should stay on the nipple, but if you find the hammer going to half-cock it would be really advisable to try this, or go to a platinum lined or beryllium copper nipple.

Toymaker
02-22-2015, 09:29 AM
Only muzzleloader that ever kicked me was my Rigby when I first bought it - and I only used 65 grains of Goex FFg. If you're going to use heavier loads you are going to go through nipples like gumdrops. Blowing the hammer back is a good sign the nipple is shot. Getting a platinum nipple isn't a bad idea anyway.

Pedersoli has several molds for the 451 Rigby = USA 303-451 is 485 grains; USA 308-451 is 520 grains and USA 318-451 is 500 grains. I settled on 45 grains Goex FFg with a 520 grain bullet that dropped 525 grains. I used Darr's lube and a 1/16 inch cardboard disk over the powder.

I cast my own bullets and have found that anything from BHN 5 (pure lead) up to BHN 10 works very well. I like the soft bullets for hunting and the harder ones for target.

I did get a good front hooded sight and a good ladder tang sight for it.

It worked well for years, but I was on the edge of ballistic stability so I changed to 45 grains Goex FFFg. They won't let me "unofficially" play at the local fun BPCR 200 meter match with it anymore. A 5-shot group at 100 yards have them all touching. It knocks the silhouettes down with authority at 50, 75 and 100 meters. Knocks over a bear silhouette at 200 meters (dented it too) and rolled over a deer at 200 yards. He didn't get up and he didn't move.

rmille6161
02-22-2015, 03:38 PM
thanks for the ideas, any help is great, I hope to use this for out to 200 yds :-)

Digital Dan
02-22-2015, 06:42 PM
Pretend it's a cartridge gun, not unlike the .45-70. Powder, card wad, bullet. Put some pressure on the charge when you seat the bullet for purposes of compression. Hard as you can with thumb or finger hooked on the rod. You might consider trying a grease cookie for giggles. Wipe between shots. Damp (both sides)/Dry (both sides).