PDA

View Full Version : tumble lube bullet seating depth, too deep

bigjake
02-21-2015, 02:00 PM
I noticed that when I seat the bullet to the top band where someone suggested, the bullet seems to be too deep. I use the starting load of unique and its almost a compressed load.

Any suggestions?

thanks

TXGunNut
02-21-2015, 05:53 PM
What are we loading? Some pics may also be helpful.

Tatume
02-22-2015, 07:55 AM
Load your bullets to a depth such that the bullet is just shy of protruding from the cylinder (if loading for a revolver). Then adjust depth so the crimp falls into a groove.

If for an auto gun, perform the plunk test. Finding a groove is not necessary for a taper crimp.

10mmShooter
02-22-2015, 09:02 AM
its okay to adjust seating depth as needed, I have an old 32-20 revolver that due to the long nose on the RCBS 32-98-SWC must be deep seated to the top of the first driving band, to avoid locking up the cylinder.

So you problem is pretty common....each gun and bullet have their own rules. ....one CAUTION keep in mind that when deep seating you are reducing the powder space and will be increasing the pressure in the cartridge. Start at the low end of the charge range and work up from their. The smaller the cartridge the greater this effect. Example a few thousandths for a .45 Colt or .44 Mag load not really an issue. A few thousandths for a .32 ACP could cause a considerable increase in pressure.

bigjake
02-22-2015, 05:04 PM
Its 9mm luger. lee, round nose tumble lube bullet. when I seat it at the
OAL of a copper jacketed bullet it fails the plunk test. the round drops in but doesn't fall out when tipped back over

MtGun44
02-23-2015, 12:04 AM
"Seems to be too deep." -- So seat it a bit farther out, unless there
is some mechanical reason not to - like protruding from the cyl on
a revolver or won't fit the mag in a semiauto.

You are making custom ammo. Make it the way you and your gun
like it.

mdi
02-23-2015, 02:01 PM
"Seems to be..."? Sorry but that isn't a measurement. Whenever there is a question about any dimension of reloads, measure! OAL questions? Measure length with calipers. Bullet diameter questions? Measure the bullet diameter with micrometers. Chambering issues, measure the cartridge diameter with micrometers and length with calipers. Ya gotta know what yer workin' with...

Also, be careful with "some one suggested" stuff, just go with your manual recommendations (FWIW I've seated T/L bullets as far out as 4 grooves and as deep as flush)...

Don't mean to sound like a "Richard" and no offence intended, but without measuring and good info from a published manual, all helpful suggestions are just a WAG. ;)