PDA

View Full Version : Casting and global warming

Jal5
02-21-2015, 12:39 AM
Well we've been so warm here I can't stand it...single digits or below zero. Tomorrow 6-8 inches of the white stuff. I think I'll spend a good part of the day casting in my garage!

dkf
02-21-2015, 12:55 AM
The thermometer on the truck this morning was bouncing between -3 and -5 this morning and we had 20mph winds so it was a tad frosty. Only 3-5" here tomorrow but we'll end up getting a mix of **** after the snow. Coldest winter I can remember in a while.

geargnasher
02-21-2015, 01:17 AM
It was 82 here today, had to open the windows in the house, might have to run the AC tonight. Thank you guys for keeping all that white cold stuff to yourselves.

Gear

JSnover
02-21-2015, 08:29 AM
I won't miss the cold whenever it finally lets up but it has been good for business.

dondiego
02-21-2015, 10:37 AM
All of this global warming and my pipes froze up and burst under the kitchen on Friday. It was only -22 degrees F. I will be busy today. I hope all of the polar bears don't freeze to death. Global warming sucks!

Foto Joe
02-21-2015, 11:05 AM
I feel your pain. I rode the bike out to the range the other day and had to put on a long sleeve shirt, thankfully the rifle range has a shade cover over it 'cause along about eleven o'clock the sun was beating down. Did I mention that I get out of Wyoming and head south until the ground thaws?[smilie=s:

btroj
02-21-2015, 11:16 AM
It was 82 here today, had to open the windows in the house, might have to run the AC tonight. Thank you guys for keeping all that white cold stuff to yourselves.

Gear

We don't have much snow. It has been too cold for snow.

jp99
02-21-2015, 11:26 AM
One of the mildest NoDak winters I can remember, haven't even got below -20 yet. Last year we had a week where we didn't get above -20.

BCB
02-21-2015, 11:28 AM
Well we've been so warm here I can't stand it...single digits or below zero. Tomorrow 6-8 inches of the white stuff. I think I'll spend a good part of the day casting in my garage!

Western PA here. Yep, snowing like heck here now...

We set records for low temps the other day...

My attached garage does not have heat unless I build a wood/coal fire in my stove. That is where I cast so that isn't getting done today...

The attached pic (instrument panel on my Tundra truck) is about 2 hours after the sun appeared the other morning when we set records. The actual temp before sunrise was -23 degrees...

But hey, I know there are places even having a worse winter...

Good-luck...BCB

Jeff Maney
02-21-2015, 11:30 AM
SW VA, 19 degrees & 5" new snow this morning, still snowing hard! Forecast says warming and rain Sat. night & Sunday!
There will be no casting or shooting for a while here, even too cold in the basement to trim 300 Blk & 6.8 SPC brass!
Need to load and try some more 312-155 in the 300 Blk. once the weather breaks.
With this global warming, and the polar ice melting, guess I had better watch for a polar bear in the back yard?

Jeff
We got 9" more snow on Saturday and then rain started late Sat. evening!! What a lousy forecast

Jeff

02-21-2015, 11:57 AM
Cold around the Bay today, but after the white stuff hits, they are threatening a warmup to rain temps, so.... the garage may just get a visit tomorrow to test out some newly acquired molds... I got withdrawals bad from the past couple weeks of sub freezing weather!!

edit.. Do you think the Noe 30 Hunter will stop a polar bear out of a 308? That's about the best I can muster on short notice... if it warms enough to cast the first ones tomorrow, that is... LOL

Jal5
02-21-2015, 02:59 PM
No casting too cold in the garage. But I did finish loading my remaining 45 ACP brass. Another 100 rounds ready for spring....whenever that comes!

John Guedry
02-21-2015, 03:21 PM
74* right here right now.

prs
02-21-2015, 03:45 PM
Burn more coal.

prs

bangerjim
02-21-2015, 04:50 PM
10 day forecast here is mid to upper 70's. Has been in the mid 80's last week.

That high pressure dome parked over the 4 Corners area sure is reeking havoc on the continental US. Pushing the jet stream up and then plunging down on the east with arctic cold air.

We did not even have a winter here in AZ.

bangerjim

HollowPoint
02-21-2015, 04:59 PM
I was born and raised in Arizona and the first time I ever seen anything even remotely resembling snow was one day when I watched my mom defrost the freezer in our refrigerator. The only reason I remember that was because we made snow cones our of the scrapings.

Other than seeing it on the TV, I never saw any real snow until I was a teenager. It actually snowed in the desert not to far from our home one year. We were out shooting and a light snowy drizzle came down; just for a couple of minutes. It melted as soon as it hit the ground.

HollowPoint

jimb16
02-21-2015, 10:48 PM
One of our nearby communities in NE Ohio got down to -39F the other day. We were at a nice balmy -29F. Not doing much reloading or casting in this weather. Its hard to get the chunks of Kerosene to stay lit! *LOL*

geargnasher
02-21-2015, 10:59 PM
That's almost 40F colder than my deep freeze. Nuts. It was 86 here this afternoon, I actually soaked a shirt working on an outside project in the sun for a couple of hours. Supposed to have freezing rain and a high of 36 on Monday, gotta love Texas Schizophrenic weather.

Gear

rsrocket1
02-22-2015, 01:49 AM
It was in the low 70's here last weekend. Saturday morning, I replaced the axles on my Outback and on Sunday, it was nice enough to cast 550 bullets and powder coat them in the same afternoon. When you get good weather, use it!

fredj338
02-22-2015, 01:46 PM
Global warming is now also global cooling.:not listening: When the facts don't back up the narrative, change the narrative. It's how liberals debate anything.
th ONLY good thing about Kalif is the weather.

Garyshome
02-22-2015, 01:53 PM
Well it's 60 and cloudy here right now. That is the warmest it has been in about a week or so

michiganmike
02-24-2015, 08:58 PM
I wrote the following on a lark. But, sadly, I will not be surprised if I read similar statements someday. President Obama by his lust for power, and Speaker Boehner and Senator McConnell by their cowardice are IMO stealing the citizens of this country of their freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution and Bill of Rights. God save the Republic.

The replies to the original post miss the point. We are part of the collective you see. Our actions affect everyone in the entire world. Warming up our little lead pots may seem harmless. But combined, all of our little 10 and 20 pound pots likely consume the carbon based fuels of an auto factory, or a steel mill.

And for what? to create lead projectiles that will carpet the landscape, kill harmless animals, and over time enter our food chain and turn everyone into a blithering idiot! We are not being socially aware. We are ignoring the greater good, my friends!

And the ammunition we create is doubly dangerous. Not only does it maim and kill. There is no way for our beneficent federal government to regulate this ammunition - which, I feel incumbent to to say, is made by amateurs! Rank hobbyists! No government oversight, control, licensing, or mandatory guidelines.

My friends, we are leading the world down the path to uncontrolled climate change, lawlessness, and wholesale carnage. We all need to march down to our local police stations, casting and reloading equipment in hand and turn ourselves in for crimes that may someday be on the books.

MtGun44
02-25-2015, 01:38 AM
gear,

How can you have 68 minutes of latitude? :veryconfu

Slow Elk 45/70
02-25-2015, 01:50 AM
When you fellas start seeing lots of moose, then worry, the bears aren't far behind:bigsmyl2:

Jack Stanley
02-25-2015, 11:48 PM
It's really to bad all you guys in warm climates will never know how well quenching bullets in snow works . It's much better than water quench and a snow cone quench isn't even close . ;-)

Jack

geargnasher
02-26-2015, 12:00 AM
gear,

I can have it if I wish to create a slight yet deliberate inaccuracy regarding the exactness of my location without being deceitful. ;)

Gear

MtGun44
02-26-2015, 05:14 PM
OK, got it. I wondered if that might be the case.
:bigsmyl2:

William Yanda
02-26-2015, 06:10 PM

Gear

Nothing like rubbing it in.

TheFirst
02-27-2015, 02:47 PM
Global warming is now also global cooling.:not listening: When the facts don't back up the narrative, change the narrative. It's how liberals debate anything.
th ONLY good thing about Kalif is the weather.

Global warming isnt a liberal thing. Its science. Extreme summers and extreme winters are signs. While the earth does naturally change climate, the fact that we are speeding it up a lot is still a very bad thing for us humans. That people would deny scientific fact for political and monetary gain is the worst kind of ignorance in my opinion.

ascast
02-27-2015, 03:22 PM
TheFirst- I hear ya, too bad the libs have grabbed it as yet another slam on G Bush ( pick one). It noramlly will get to 35 below for a couple days at least once each winter here.
But, it has only done that once in the past 15 years. ON the flip side, it has not been above freezing in about 40 days. Also a record setter.

waksupi
02-27-2015, 03:28 PM
Global warming isnt a liberal thing. Its science. Extreme summers and extreme winters are signs. While the earth does naturally change climate, the fact that we are speeding it up a lot is still a very bad thing for us humans. That people would deny scientific fact for political and monetary gain is the worst kind of ignorance in my opinion.

How come more and more scientists from REPUTABLE backgrounds are coming out and saying it has all been a scam, based on false computer generated projections?
Don't get suckered in by your liberal college professors.

SSGOldfart
02-27-2015, 03:37 PM
hum and the point is???????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????:bigsmyl2:wait I got to turn down the ac or is it turn up the AC it's getting cool in here

dondiego
02-27-2015, 05:42 PM
How come more and more scientists from REPUTABLE backgrounds are coming out and saying it has all been a scam, based on false computer generated projections?
Don't get suckered in by your liberal college professors.

But wait! My college professors swore to me, and proved it on paper that their biggest concern was global cooling and the resulting famine that was about to wipe out most of humanity! This was in 1975.

rockrat
02-27-2015, 05:51 PM
Global warming/global cooling. Just look at the rock strata and you will see plenty evidence there. I have yet to see any proof that WE are the cause of any climate change vs natural change. How can you seperate out the two. Go ahead and point out CO2 emmissions by man VS the same by nature and quantities. Love to see unbiased data

dakotashooter2
02-27-2015, 06:06 PM
I was out working earlier this week and soaked 3 layers of clothes (just walking)...... it was -10............... I had to strip down to my shirt and spring coat...........

Cd662
02-28-2015, 03:12 AM
Awfully cold for any casting here in CT.

Tenbender
02-28-2015, 01:45 PM

If you live another 50 years or probably less you will see weather the same over and over. Some hot some cold. Weather change would happen if nothing was walking on the earth.

jmort
02-28-2015, 01:58 PM
The last cooling period lasted from around 1350 to 1850 and then some, with some serious cold spells:

cold period between AD 1550 and 1850 and notes three particularly cold intervals: one beginning about 1650, another about 1770, and the last in 1850, each separated by intervals of slight warming

George Washington and the Continental Army had it real bad at Valley Forge.

geargnasher
02-28-2015, 03:26 PM
We have failed to learn from the Martians. The insisted on driving their gas-guzzling SUVs and refused to control CO2 emissions from all their industries, and look what happened to the atmosphere of their planet. What a shame. I'm sure there were liberal sophisticates in the Martian government and education systems warning of the coming disaster for years, but none of the greedy industrialists or selfish consumers payed any attention.

Gear

Smoke4320
02-28-2015, 03:31 PM
gear,

Give the wife a bowl of Ice cream and a cup of Hot chocolate gets me at least 90 minutes of latitude

Tenbender
03-01-2015, 12:42 PM
We have failed to learn from the Martians. The insisted on driving their gas-guzzling SUVs and refused to control CO2 emissions from all their industries, and look what happened to the atmosphere of their planet. What a shame. I'm sure there were liberal sophisticates in the Martian government and education systems warning of the coming disaster for years, but none of the greedy industrialists or selfish consumers payed any attention.

Gear

I bet the USA sent the Mars probe there to steal a set of hub caps off one of those Martian SUV's ?

10x
03-02-2015, 08:29 AM

Gear

82 Degrees F?
I currently live in a valley. My home is located on a southwest facing slope about 200 feet above the valley floor. The valley is 900 feet deep.
This creates a micro climate that is measurably warmer in summer and colder most days during the winter.
There have been summers when 80F was a rare event.
The micro climate is such that folks can grow corn and it will mature several weeks prior to the first frost of the year.
On my property 7 miles from my home and less than 5 miles west of the edge of the valley (Property elevation is just under 2000 feet) any day the temperature reaches 75F in the summer is an extremely rare event.

The first missionaries came through here over 200 years ago with the fur trade. All were here to counsel the natives and show them the light of Christianity. All described the fires of Hell. It is really difficult to convince folks living in skin tents and heating those tents with a small fire that eternal flame and heat was a bad thing at temperatures hovering between -30 and -40F. Hell does not have to be hot.
I recall mention of early traders and missionaries recording stories in their journals of folks found frozen to death less than half a mile from warmth and safety.
In the days prior to electricity my father would keep track of an older gentleman who had a cabin two miles away. My father would walk 1/4 mile to a hilltop where the cabin could be seen and look for smoke from the chimney just before sunrise and sunset during the winter. No smoke meant a trip to visit to ensure the gentleman was alive and well. One morning there was no smoke, we went to the home immediately, and discovered the fire had been out all night. The gentleman had a small stroke early the evening before and could get out of bed to keep the fire going. He was alive in bed - the wool quilts he used in the winter were enough to keep him warm. The water in the reservoir on the side of the wood stove had almost an inch of ice on it.
His first words as we came in the door were "Boys, am I ever glad to see you! I thought I was going to die..."

I envy you your warm days...

youngmman
03-02-2015, 10:43 AM
I do not like to be cynical but I will. I like to think I know something about human nature since it is a key bit of knowledge for the profession I have been successful in for over 30 years.

With that above it is my view this whole "Global Warming" thing is an egregious exaggeration on the part of liberal academics who are trying to gain some recognition with liberal politicians who are eager to make rules/pass laws that just vest more control with government: Creating solutions in search of a problem are their hallmark then we are stuck with the idiocy of their decisions.

Climate change has taken place since the beginning of time and will continue after the human species is long gone.

IMHO

Garyshome
03-02-2015, 10:48 AM
The cold is ..... but I need good ventilation before I cast. Fans blowing , windows open, so really cold stuff doesn't work for me. But it should be warming up this week.

Utah Shooter
04-18-2015, 01:36 AM

Do me a favor and read your statement again! "Global warming isnt a liberal thing. Its science. Extreme summers and extreme winters are signs." You cannot even get your definitions right. So your extreme winters are "global warming"? Now all of you idiots have changed it to climate change! Guess what? Right now it is 50 degrees and tomorrow it will be 65. Wow, how did you know my climate would change?

10x
04-18-2015, 10:23 AM

Interesting statement.
I live in an area of the world that was covered by over a mile of ice some 15,000 years ago.
That ice was part of a glacier that covered the north half of North America. There was also a Glacier covering Northern Europe that was just a significant.
There was also a glacier that extended from the south pole into the Atlantic, the Pacific and South America.
Sea levels were some 80 meters lower at that time.
All of this ice melted over a 1200 year (or less) time frame. It melted fast enought that every culture in the world has aural legends of a "great flood". Hey, every one lived on the sea coast where the climate was better and food was more plentiful. But the glaciers did melt fast and the sea levels did rise very quickly - giving rise to the "great flood" legends.

That being said , calculate the volume of ice that the top 80 meters of sea water would produce that was tied up in the glaciers. Consider that 1 calory of heat will warm 1 cc of water 1 degree centigrade. Consider that the latent heat of fusion ( the ammount of heat it takes to break the electron bond of 1 CC (.88 gram of ice) is 84 calories.
So to take ice from -1c to water at +1C will take 86 calories of heat.
When you consider the amount of heat needed to melt the ice from the last glaciation - the energy pouring over the earth (heat energy) must have been astronomical.
There is evidence that the Arctic ocean was ice free 4000 years ago. and that the Perma frost in Northern Europe and Northern Alaska and Canada hass only been permafrost for less than 5000 years.
The global warming idea is a great way to strike fear and get grant money to study climate.
The history of the world shows the earth has been through more extreme climate changes that were not caused by man.

The climate changes - that is a fact. When science tells us why the last ice age melted so quickly then maybe they can tell us how to deal with that amount of heat if it happens again.
BTW: the salinity of the ocean was extremely high up to 12,000 years ago - look at the marine life that survived the dilution of of the oceans because those glaciers melted.