PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 4500 bites the dust

Doble Troble
03-02-2008, 05:43 PM
The casting broke out around the screw that the lube plunger runs on. All of a sudden I couldn't produce any pressure and the screw started rising as I turned it but the plunger stayed put. I gave it a pull out of frustration and out it came with a big glop of 50:50 around the end. Around the end of the screw there's a jagged chunk of cast iron about 1/4" around the head that usually sits in a recess in the base.

Has anyone else had this happen? I don't think I was applying too much pressure - only enough to fill the grooves on a 38-55 bullet.

I got this from Midway about a month ago. I guess I'll pack it up and see if they'll send me another.

Assuming I get a replacement any suggestions about how to avoid this in the future? Maybe I need a lube heater for Lars' 50:50? Does this sound like a casting defect to you all?

quasi
03-02-2008, 07:25 PM
I busted my 450 twice years ago. Gave the remains away and bought a RCBS, no problems since.

hotwheelz
03-02-2008, 08:19 PM
IM sure midway or lyman will replace this sounds like a bad casting. Call midway first if they are no help try lyman they have been helpful to me when I need parts for older stuff.

dubber123
03-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Yes, I did the same thing, cleaned it as good as I could, and welded it back into place. Never truly leak free again, but usable. I later bought an older Lyman, and it had a big steel bushing around where the newer one broke.

JFriis
03-14-2008, 01:28 PM
So thats why I cant get any pressure...

Makes much more sense now!

MtGun44
03-15-2008, 03:32 PM
I'd bet Lyman will replace it.

Bill

Cherokee
03-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Midway or Lyman will make it right.

JIMinPHX
03-17-2008, 05:05 PM
If you can’t get it replaced, I’d be willing to buy it off you for a reasonable price. I’m pretty good at repairing stuff & I don’t mind the occasional challenge.

Try for the free replacement first though. A reputable company should be willing to make good on something like that.