PDA

View Full Version : what does LB stand for on lead?

bigbird1
03-02-2008, 04:15 PM
I got some pan sized lead from a x caster who quit. he had ww on some (wheel weights and LB on some what does the LB stand for is it soft lead??

Shiloh
03-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Pound??

Shiloh

Marlin Junky
03-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Pb is the symbol for lead in the periodic table. The guy may have just been misinformed??

MJ

rhead
03-02-2008, 04:22 PM
LB is the abreviation for pounds.

ktw
03-02-2008, 04:27 PM
I got some pan sized lead from a x caster who quit. he had ww on some (wheel weights and LB on some what does the LB stand for is it soft lead??

An excursion into the feverish thought processes of one of those strange birds who considers smelting metals in the back yard a good time! Can I play?

- an abbreviation for "pound", usually associated with a preceding number
- Linotype Batch
- Little Bullet alloy
- Like Butter alloy
- alloy I got in a trade from a guy named Larry Brown
- LineBaugh (custom magnum revolver) alloy
- Linotype/Babbit alloy

I think your best bet is to run it through a hardness tester, then make an educated guess.

-ktw

bigbird1
03-02-2008, 04:31 PM
An excursion into the feverish thought processes of one of those strange birds who considers smelting metals in the back yard a good time! Can I play?

- an abbreviation for "pound", usually associated with a preceding number
- Linotype Batch
- Little Bullet alloy
- Like Butter alloy
- alloy I got in a trade from a guy named Larry Brown
- LineBaugh (custom magnum revolver) alloy
- Linotype/Babbit alloy

I think your best bet is to run it through a hardness tester, then make an educated guess.

-ktw

good one, LOL, wonder if it is lead babbit like in your last one, is that almost pure?

ktw
03-02-2008, 04:44 PM
good one, LOL, wonder if it is lead babbit like in your last one, is that almost pure?

Most lead babbitts have quite a bit of antimony. None of them are going to be soft like pure lead.

http://www.american-tinandsolder.com/tin-lead.html

I don't think you can say much of anything about the ingot based on the "LB" notation. You need to do a hardness test. Even a rudimentary one like "harder or softer than my wheelweight alloy" will help. Mash them together in a vise and see which one gives first.

-ktw

runfiverun
03-02-2008, 04:54 PM
do like kyw said
if they are about the same it is probably 1sn 4 sb remainder lead as this is a mix
sold by some foundaries also
marked lb for lead babbit

Baron von Trollwhack
03-02-2008, 05:08 PM
As a start point, Er, Ah,,,,,,,,,,, does it clunk like lead,,,,,,,,,, or ring like babbit,,,,,,,,,, or something intermediate? The code may be like Da Vinci's. BvT

bigbird1
03-02-2008, 06:12 PM
As a start point, Er, Ah,,,,,,,,,,, does it clunk like lead,,,,,,,,,, or ring like babbit,,,,,,,,,, or something intermediate? The code may be like Da Vinci's. BvT

I just started so I have no idea what to listen for , I have just been casting with the pure ww. where do you get a hardness tester, I don't want to spend a bunch on one. thanks

Lee
03-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Lee Hardness Tester is probably the cheapest. Under $50 delivered to your door. I've heard about these people on this forum;
http://www.kempfgunshop.com/
Good words. See if they have it.
Otherwise try Midway or MidSouth, you can find both of them referenced on this forum also. I'e got a Lee, and unless you do 200# per month, it should be adequate for your needs..........Lee(no relation to "LEE")........:wink:

HeavyMetal
03-02-2008, 07:47 PM
has anyone thought about putting this ingot on a scale and seeing what it weighs??

My first thought was a pound sign? I've marked alloy's I've made through blending WW and Foundry type but I assign them a lot # such as 1-a, 2 -a. Easy toput on an ingot and, as long as you keep records, easy to ID when it's time to melt!

MT Gianni
03-03-2008, 01:10 AM
If you are going to buy a hardness tester buy one of Gussy's. Cabintree is the brand, click on castingstuff at the bottom of this page. Gianni

dromia
03-03-2008, 03:24 AM
Endorse the recommendation for Gussy's Cabine Tree hardness tester.

Jim
03-03-2008, 08:26 AM
Any way of getting in touch with the guy and asking him?