PDA

View Full Version : Remember When ?

Ben
02-18-2015, 08:18 PM
http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p545/Ben35049/1779087_701120313281434_1633296321_n_zps8f1pnuiy.j pg (http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/Ben35049/media/1779087_701120313281434_1633296321_n_zps8f1pnuiy.j pg.html)

Mod42
02-18-2015, 08:50 PM
Yes.....I am very much old enough to remember. The slide has been far too fast for an old guy like me!

gandydancer
02-18-2015, 09:00 PM
Hey! I did what I could. I voted for an american. "both times"

.30-06 fan
02-19-2015, 01:11 AM
what was the last war America won?

gandydancer
02-19-2015, 01:45 AM
Canada. you can always tell an expert but you can't tell them much.

.30-06 fan
02-19-2015, 01:47 AM
Canada. you can always tell an expert but you can't tell them much.

true...

geargnasher
02-19-2015, 02:36 AM
You wouldn't expect a country's "leader" to declare war on his mis-behaving friends, would you?

I also remember when "illegal alien" meant just that. Around here, it meant "wetback", and we didn't give them SSDI, Medicade, Welfare, or food stamps, we gave them a fair shake at becoming LEGAL immigrants or at least LEGAL non-immigrant worker status, and if they didn't want that, they got a free lift to the border with a boot in their behinds

Gear

Bad Water Bill
02-19-2015, 03:13 AM
How can I ever forget?

It was a vet with 5 burn marks down his back from a German machine gun that picked me up at 5AM on a Sat mourning then the ride to the harbor to board a boat for a ride out to a breakwater to fish away the day fishing for perch.

The list of that generation I knew,served with and worked with is very long.

Ramar
02-19-2015, 07:37 AM
Dad will be 96 soon. A POW at Stalag IXb; Ive been instructed and taught well.
Ramar
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=c967c71034&view=fimg&th=14ba198cb3e5d8a0&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_i6c2e7fn0&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ-bOoKSX8f_HvxKmnsiyO5ugq-WMTvIcNgP3BMFtKbgmF56vI5TEmbHPA5kCx-hdh7tbM2SIDglmpQDbNsPTSbiiQIiAjsAwz8em3eN1ACX6kEmq-3cCtR1Atk&ats=1424345331417&rm=14ba198cb3e5d8a0&zw&sz=w1245-h485

leftiye
02-19-2015, 07:45 AM
I ain't forgetting.

smokeywolf
02-19-2015, 08:08 AM
Too many have forgotten.

Hickory
02-19-2015, 08:23 AM
http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p545/Ben35049/1779087_701120313281434_1633296321_n_zps8f1pnuiy.j pg (http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/Ben35049/media/1779087_701120313281434_1633296321_n_zps8f1pnuiy.j pg.html)
We'll end-up paying for the mistakes made today.
If the slimmy ones who are responsible for it are still alive they won't get any blame.

cbrick
02-19-2015, 08:32 AM
Too many have forgotten.

More like far too many today never had any idea because they have been taught it's all America's fault to begin with.

Rick

WILCO
02-19-2015, 10:57 AM
Dad will be 96 soon. A POW at Stalag IXb....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalag_IX-B

Ben
02-19-2015, 11:10 AM
WILCO :

Just read your link......

Your Dad is very fortunate to have made it through that experience.

Ben

bhn22
02-19-2015, 11:16 AM
Too many have forgotten.

Its not on social media, its not on TV so nobody remembers. People died to secure the rights so many seem to resent us having now.

mold maker
02-19-2015, 11:28 AM
America was a place to be proud of. It had leaders that foreign and domestics looked up to.
I'm not proud of the present office squatter or his policies.

Recluse
02-19-2015, 01:38 PM

All of them. We, the military men, won the battles we engaged in. The politicians affected the final score.

Say hello to Frank.

You wouldn't expect a country's "leader" to declare war on his mis-behaving friends, would you?

I also remember when "illegal alien" meant just that. Around here, it meant "wetback", and we didn't give them SSDI, Medicade, Welfare, or food stamps, we gave them a fair shake at becoming LEGAL immigrants or at least LEGAL non-immigrant worker status, and if they didn't want that, they got a free lift to the border with a boot in their behinds

Gear

Dead on one-hundred percent correct. I still call them wetbacks and always will. If that offends them, too bad. They can slink back across the border and come back over the LEGAL way--and then I'll call them Friend.

:coffee:

1Shirt
02-19-2015, 02:22 PM
I remember the day Roosevelt died. I was in Kindergarten at the time. We went to school, then they marched us to the flag pole where they raised the flag to half mast, and played taps, somebody said a prayer, and they sent us home. That night I remember seeing a bonfire with the burning of Hitler and Tojo figures. There were American patriots then, durn few liberals, and I doubt that any bed wetting liberals would have been tolerated.
1Shirt!

captaint
02-19-2015, 03:19 PM
Like Rick said - it's all America's fault. Bad America. We should be ashamed. That's why THEY just have to fix it. So THEY can feel better about themselves. Gimme a break.......

white eagle
02-19-2015, 06:07 PM

Gear

+1 truer words have never been spoken

waynem34
02-19-2015, 08:59 PM
I remember some but not old enough for first had. I've knew several that had seen it.I heard lots of tails and stories growing up,from crossing the ryine river, to selling all there winter cloths, vowing to never step foot in snow again for as long as the lived. The post is losing more and more every day.

MaryB
02-20-2015, 01:08 AM
I remember stories from my grand parents, we had family back in Germany still during WWII, many died, some we lost track of completely. I also got stories of the Korean war where one of my uncles was killed.

Col4570
02-20-2015, 01:43 AM
I was Eight when WW2 ended,I remember the German and Italian Prisoners working on the Farms.On Saturdays they would be taken to Football Games.I remember My Dad returning home from Africa having served there for the duration.I remember a Bomb completely flattening one side of Rugby Street near to us and going to see the damage with my elder Brother.People died that day on that street,The Bombs where intended for the Rolls Royce Factory that was producing Spitfire Engines.We would be in Cellars naively thinking that we would be safe there.At night Wardens would patrol the Streets to make sure there where no chinks of light showing.I remember the Rationing of Food the ration Books,the shopkeepers would tear of a stamp for your allocation of Butter,Lard Bacon,milk etc.We where a nation under siege but absolutely determined to survive.Through out the world our commonwealth was fighting a hard battle.The turning point was when the USA entered the War,this made all the difference and I for one am proud to say God Bless America.

Blacksmith
02-21-2015, 02:19 AM
Just read my sig line.

skeet1
02-21-2015, 10:47 AM
Ben,
The problem is that Moral Relativisim has been so thoroughly taught that many people don't even recognize what Good and Evil are. This is why the President thinks that the problem in the Middle East is not that terrorists are Evil but that they need a Jobs Program.

Ken

Bad Water Bill
02-21-2015, 10:56 AM
Please ask him what kind of jobs he is going to offer someone that lives "IN A CAVE ON A MOUNTAIN TOP" just like their ancestors did 1400 years ago.

cbrick
02-21-2015, 11:01 AM
Please ask him what kind of jobs he is going to offer someone that lives "IN A CAVE ON A MOUNTAIN TOP" just like their ancestors did 1400 years ago.

And other than dead just what they want for us.

Rick

starnbar
02-21-2015, 11:03 AM
In high school we had a mechanical drawing teacher who had been in the german field arty in Normandy that was the end of his service as 2 p47s hit the field guns and only him and the corporal survived he had a divot in his calf from a American 50 cal he said the war was over for him in about 3 minutes but he became an American citizen and I never heard him say a cross word about the USA. He explained it to us like this when he was in Germany he fought for his country now that he is an American he will fight for America, because this is now his country.

fatnhappy
02-21-2015, 03:23 PM
I have an Uncle that was reinterred in the Long Island National Cemetary after having been originally interred in Henri-Chapelle, KIA December 18th, 1944. I have a cousin that rests in honored slumber in the Adirondack mountains, KIA Jan 27, 1969. Panel 33W, Row 4.
My family has long worn uniforms into harms way. My father and his brothers all did so. My brother and I both did so.

An entire generation of men, all volunteers, have proven themselves worthy in innumerable fights from Iraq to Afghanistan. Many of them post right here.

I'm concerned not at all about the latest thugs, our Republic will shake off this administration like a bad hangover and go right back to the business of stomping out despots and tyrants.

I miss having a leader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpH5L8zCtSk

montana_charlie
02-21-2015, 04:19 PM
America was a place to be proud of. It had leaders that foreign and domestics looked up to.
I'm not proud of the present office squatter or his policies.
The current office holder is neither qualified for the job nor eligible to hold it.

On top of that, he was raised by people who had no love for America, so he was not raised to be 'a good American citizen'. Further, those involved in his early training taught him to look upon America as a bad country ... one incapable of doing good, and the cause of much suffering in the world.

Due to his childhood having been spent abroad, he was not exposed to those things that all kids absorb while growing up here.
His non-idiomatic use of common terms illustrates his 'differentness'.

So, through his actions and (especially) his words, Obama proves himself to be a 'foreigner' ... a foreigner who does un-American things because he is a non-American who is fundamentally anti-American.

WILCO
02-21-2015, 05:51 PM
and I doubt that any bed wetting liberals would have been tolerated.
1Shirt!

Hahahahahha! Amen Brother! The only place you'd see a communist was in the shadows.

WILCO
02-21-2015, 06:03 PM

Great video!

Bad Water Bill
02-21-2015, 06:26 PM
Great video!

I will gladly second that.

jcwit
02-21-2015, 10:29 PM
Amen!

Steve77
02-21-2015, 10:38 PM
American politicians have become so cowardly that we haven't even declared war since the bombing of Pearl Harbor. If you can't face reality it makes it tough to fight wars. ROE's are another political tragedy, but that is another topic I suppose.

Col4570
02-22-2015, 02:52 AM
I have an Uncle that was reinterred in the Long Island National Cemetary after having been originally interred in Henri-Chapelle, KIA December 18th, 1944. I have a cousin that rests in honored slumber in the Adirondack mountains, KIA Jan 27, 1969. Panel 33W, Row 4.
My family has long worn uniforms into harms way. My father and his brothers all did so. My brother and I both did so.

An entire generation of men, all volunteers, have proven themselves worthy in innumerable fights from Iraq to Afghanistan. Many of them post right here.

I'm concerned not at all about the latest thugs, our Republic will shake off this administration like a bad hangover and go right back to the business of stomping out despots and tyrants.

I miss having a leader.

Those Children running to their returning Fathers says it all since some did,nt enjoy the privilege.

TXGunNut
02-22-2015, 03:19 AM
More like far too many today never had any idea because they have been taught it's all America's fault to begin with.

Rick

Sad, but very true.

Bad Water Bill
02-22-2015, 03:50 AM
My son (hardware)and I were very fortunate to hear a talk by Fred J. Olivi, the co-pilot of the plane that dropped an atomic bomb.

While he was speaking a female interrupted him demanding to know how he could sleep at night with the death of over 100,000 INNOCENT Japanese civilians on his conscience?

His answer was I sleep very well knowing I saved about 2 million American troops lives and probably OVER 20 MILLION Japanese lives.

Now please sit down and when you get home read some of the many accurate history books written about that time and stop believing folks that were not even alive at that time.

Next question please?

A real gentleman and sadly he also has left us.

War is ---- as I do know as I maried a young lady from Essen Germany that lived there as a child thru all of the bombings and yes I did see the flash backs she had from time to time.

smokeywolf
02-22-2015, 05:31 AM
I remember when:

McDonald's had not yet served "1 billion".
You could pull into a burger stand, a pretty girl would come (sometimes skate) to your car, take your order and return with cold malteds and hot burgers & fries on a tray and hang it on your driver's window.
Americans were expected to support their own children, not those produced by hundreds of thousands of irresponsible breeders in or from third world countries.
A person had to produce (before becoming a candidate) incontrovertible proof that he was a "natural born citizen".
Kids in rural areas still rode their horses to school. A well behaved horse was called a "high school horse"
Your average shade-tree mechanic could pull the engine in his Chevy, rebuild it and re-install it with few specialized tools.
Schools taught reading, writing and 'rithmatic', and also actual history, not history corrupted by political correctness.
Corporate America and it's government had not yet sabotaged the economy to drive Moms out of the home and into the workforce.
People who were openly supportive of illegal aliens were rightfully seen as un-American, advocates of criminal behavior and looked upon with suspicion.
Service men and women were looked up to as the most patriotic of Americans, heroes to be admired and emulated, not ridiculed.
Naughtiness in entertainment was confined to "the Rat Pack", pinups and Hollywood gossip.
My heroes were John Wayne, Ben Johnson, Glenn Ford, Richard Boone, Clint Walker, Dodgers pitcher Don Drysdale (#53). Today, kids look up to video game characters and rappers. Sports stars are taking drugs, driving drunk and orchestrating dog fights.

smokeywolf

MaryB
02-23-2015, 12:46 AM
If we had a like system your post would get pinned Smokey

Recluse
02-23-2015, 03:24 AM
If we had a like system your post would get pinned Smokey

Agree one-zillion percent.

:coffee:

smokeywolf
02-23-2015, 07:38 AM
In the '50s to early '60s we had several people in the entertainment industry who would occasionally visit, as dad did saddle & holster work and gunsmithing for them.

The fastest guns in Hollywood were Jerry Lewis, Sammy Davis Jr. and Glenn Ford. Audie Murphy, Burt Lancaster and Clayton Moore were no slouches either.

Charitable donations were voluntary; not confiscated in your taxes.

At ages 9 and 5 respectively, my sister and I walked the 2/3 of a mile to school and back by ourselves and mom didn't have to worry. When sister was sick, I walked by myself. This was in the L.A. metropolitan area near 2 major freeways.

Gun violence in schools was virtually unheard of. Why, because children were raised by their parents and/or grandparents; not farmed out to strangers who have little if any interest in what kind of adult that child becomes. Also, it was common practice for people to have a gun or guns in the house and to teach their children responsible and safe handling of firearms. Tack on the fact that the news media did not aggrandize perpetrators of mass murder and turn them into celebrities.

Most cars, car parts, appliances and even a lot of electronics were made in America. Blue collar workers made a decent living and companies thrived.

On a single income, it was common for a family of four to have 2 cars that were less than 10 years old, a 3 + 2 tract home on at least an 8,000 sq. ft. lot. They could afford insurance, taxes, food, clothing, vacations, discretionary money for a new lawn mower, an occasional tool or even a gun and still put some money in savings.

smokeywolf

blackthorn
02-23-2015, 12:43 PM
One thing more, Smokeywolf---people were actually held accountable for their actions!

FredBuddy
02-23-2015, 03:09 PM
Thanks to all for your clear perspective.