PDA

View Full Version : The tinsel fairy payed me a visit.

Pablo 5959
02-16-2015, 02:35 PM
:!::!: Didn't trust her to play nice, so I was prepared.

I was smelting yesterday in the dog run. ( the only place the dog doesn't go).

Anyway the first bucket of range scrap went fine.
Leaving a small amount of molten lead in the bottom to help speed the next melt.
Using a long handle trenching shovel while wearing a face shield.

The 2nd bucket I didn't feel good about it. I put the D oven on the ground and stood back as far as I could and through in a small shovel full,

AND SHE SHOWED UP. POW. Wow that was close. She spread out about 8 to 10 feet in all directions.

After scraping a few splatters off my pants and peeling whatever I could off the dirt.

I was out there with the shop vac, vacuuming up the dirt.

Leaving a small amount of molten in the bottom is not worth it.

POUR IT ALL OUT OR LET SOLIDIFY.

She could have been nasty.

Pablo

LynC2
02-16-2015, 06:36 PM
Glad to hear you survived without major wounds. That is one fairy one never wants to see!

runfiverun
02-16-2015, 07:11 PM
I dump all the ww's I'm going to smelt out on a slab of sheet metal and let it sit out in the sun.
I also fill the pots with a shovel just to make sure I am away.
I use two pots so one is starting out and the other is being melted on the two different burners.

BK7saum
02-16-2015, 09:09 PM
I leave some lead in the bottom of the pot but turn the gas off/down until the lead solidifies. Then I'll add wheelweights or range scrap to the pot and turn the heat back up.

I don't lose much heat and the tinsel fairy stays away.

fatnhappy
02-16-2015, 09:13 PM
welcome to the club, sorry to say. There are 2 types of casters, those that have met the tinsel fairy and those that will.

EDK
02-16-2015, 10:18 PM
welcome to the club, sorry to say. There are 2 types of casters, those that have met the tinsel fairy and those that will.

AND the liars who did but won't admit to it!

The Tinsel Fairy never sleeps. AND she hates everyone equally.

retread
02-16-2015, 10:51 PM

A BIG Amen to that!

edctexas
02-16-2015, 11:24 PM
Does anyone know why when an ingot is added to the pot, the melt gets bubbles that come up. Is it trapped air? or is it more serious like small amounts of H2O?

Ed C

BNE
02-16-2015, 11:28 PM

Yep. She moves FAST too.

wistlepig1
02-16-2015, 11:33 PM
Glade you where not hurt, as suggested 2 pots, one working and one cooling has served me well for years.

triggerhappy243
02-16-2015, 11:35 PM
i noticed that about the bubbles too. i will bet it is the cold ingot coming up to temp too fast.

runfiverun
02-17-2015, 12:55 AM
It creates condensation going from cold to hot.
Look at your toilet bowl on a hot day.

nagantguy
02-17-2015, 12:59 AM
Been visited twice by that wicked old hag, she comes fast violent and unexpectedly.

Garyshome
02-17-2015, 01:09 AM
Count your blessings!

Indiana shooter
02-17-2015, 01:25 AM
Been visited twice myself. The first time was ignorance the second was stubbornness. Bottom h times hurt, but only for a minute.

btroj
02-17-2015, 08:25 AM
I hate smelting in hot weather but it is the one time I know condensation won't be an issue. My range scrap is stored in the garage for 6 plus months before semlting so it can dry well. I still add it with a shovel at least until the bottom of the pot is well covered.
Only had her show up in small ways so far but I keep vigilant.

rbertalotto
02-17-2015, 09:59 AM
does anyone use a heavy hinged cover on their smelting pots?

Boolseye
02-17-2015, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the reminder. Your close call may save someone's skin (literally)
-BE

rintinglen
02-17-2015, 01:25 PM
I hate smelting in hot weather but it is the one time I know condensation won't be an issue. My range scrap is stored in the garage for 6 plus months before semlting so it can dry well. I still add it with a shovel at least until the bottom of the pot is well covered.
Only had her show up in small ways so far but I keep vigilant.
I have friends who think I'm a lunatic, but I only smelt on hot, dry days. Nothing like a 90+ degree day and a pot full molten lead for opening up the pores. I had one minor visit from the tinsel fairy, but only my gloves saved me from some nasty burns when a moist ingot hit the pot. Just about filled my britches on that one, and I've striven hard to avoid that experience ever since. My ingots are stored up off the floor now, and my smelting gets done in the summer.

mdi
02-17-2015, 02:00 PM
Lots of good ideas, but whichever method you choose make sure the scrap going into the pot, whether you prefer a hot or cool pot, is dry!. Easy to do, just look!...

btroj
02-17-2015, 02:20 PM
does anyone use a heavy hinged cover on their smelting pots?

Nope. Wouldn't matter a bunch. By the time you know she is there it is too late.

Cadillo
02-22-2015, 08:03 PM
I leave some lead in the bottom of the pot but turn the gas off/down until the lead solidifies. Then I'll add wheelweights or range scrap to the pot and turn the heat back up.

I don't lose much heat and the tinsel fairy stays away.

Wise and unblemished advice!

Patience is a virtue.