PDA

View Full Version : Elmers auction

bhn22
02-15-2015, 10:37 PM
I know, I know, there was never any such person as Elmer Keith, and if there was, he didn't do any of the things he wrote about, or somebody wrote for him. Had he existed in the first place. Anyway, somebody has cunningly assembled a large collection of the guns that were attributed to Elmer Keiths writing. I thought some of you might like to see professional photos of some of Elmers treasures before they're dispersed. The list reads like nothing I've seen before.

http://jamesdjulia.com/373_shs/?utm_source=emailsub&utm_medium=email&utm_content=consignments&utm_campaign=gun_15_spring

bcr
02-15-2015, 10:45 PM
I've made plans to go to this auction in one month. I think if I sold everything I own I might be able to make a run at the number five, but I don't think the wife and kids would be too happy living on the street, even with the slickest custom revolver ever made.

bcr
02-15-2015, 10:49 PM
Is anyone else here planning to attend?

MaryB
02-15-2015, 10:57 PM
I do not own enough stuff to sell to buy any of them!

Hannibal
02-15-2015, 11:00 PM
I do not own enough stuff to sell to buy any of them!

Ditto. But I will sit for hours and days admiring the hand craftsmanship on those pieces. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Thank you for the link.

MtGun44
02-15-2015, 11:14 PM
Beautiful guns. Some of those double rifles are incredibly valuable, not to mention
some of the special pistols made just for him.

Bill

Tallbald
02-16-2015, 01:49 AM
Sweet mercy I just finished an hour looking at and reading the descriptions of most of the guns shown. Such a beautiful assemblage of historical mechanical marvels I have never seen. And I waste my time feeling guilty for owning four Ruger Old Army's! Thank you for posting the link, because I never would have happened upon it on my own. Don.

FISH4BUGS
02-16-2015, 10:10 AM
I don't live all that far away from Julia's. I have been there before, and i don't think I could sit through this one. The Class III stuff alone is worth upwards of a half million if not more.
No....I'll just appreciate the pictures and descriptions.

Don Purcell
02-16-2015, 10:20 AM
The Keith family is about to get a large infusion of cash into their accounts. His everyday carry .44 is the one I would want.

Newtire
02-16-2015, 10:44 AM
Sure glad I got to see the museum before it closed.

Reg
02-16-2015, 10:56 AM
A number of these guns were in the museum up in Boise, did it get shut down or what ???

bhn22
02-16-2015, 11:00 AM
Cabelas closed it down. I guess they figured it had run its course, or something. This the first sale bill I had seen, and I wanted to share it with anyone whos interested.

Echo
02-16-2015, 11:53 AM
The proceeds of these auctions could retire the debt of several countries...

Harter66
02-16-2015, 01:48 PM
Or maybe a 400 Whelen custom 03' SN 1. Or an H&H falling block? You should know I had to get a towel and mop for the drool.

I had the good fortune of seeing the complete collections of Roy Rogers on several occasions. How about having Audie Murphy's Winchester M12 trap presentation for Valor above. ...... that he shot at the Victorville Ca trap range with John Wayne and Roy....... makes ya wonder what it would bring without pictures letters and unfired. The kids broke up the collection and sold most of it off with aboutique 10% of it now residing in a Roy & Dale place in Branson Mo or so I last heard. It's a damned shame when things like these get chopped up and spirited away to private vaults and OBTW statis in some place the people never were.

woodbutcher
02-16-2015, 04:11 PM
:shock: Thanks for the post.Outstanding items from top to bottom.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Clay M
02-16-2015, 04:23 PM
Pretty amazing collection of guns..

Thanks for posting.

GLL
02-16-2015, 04:38 PM
I find it interesting that Keith's personal .38/44 Outdoorsman is not in the sale but the triple lock is !

I sure would like to own that particular Outdoorsman ! :)

http://www.fototime.com/E2A985B719EF63F/orig.jpg

Jerry

Mk42gunner
02-16-2015, 04:38 PM
I do not have the money to even dream of bidding on any of these guns; but I think Elmer would rather they go to someone that would shoot them, even occasionally. I remember him writing that after the number 5 was built, he shot it for a year or two before sending it off for engraving; just to make sure it was worth it.

Robert

bcr
02-17-2015, 12:57 AM
Obviously these guns are worth more now than when Elmer bought them, but they still must have been worth a fortune back then. Where did he get the money for those guns?

Lloyd Smale
02-17-2015, 08:55 AM
anyone want to loan me a couple hundred thousand????

jaystuw
02-17-2015, 08:35 PM
Obviously these guns are worth more now than when Elmer bought them, but they still must have been worth a fortune back then. Where did he get the money for those guns?
I wondered that myself, Alot of high end stuff even in 1930's dollars. I guess being a guide and gun writer pays better than I expected. Jay