PDA

View Full Version : Brrrrrr

Hickok
02-15-2015, 10:29 AM
Here in the higher elevations of WV in the Blackwater Falls/Canaan Valley area we have a temperature 10 below zero at 9:25 am, and a white foggy haze outside.

No church today, not much of anything today, but stay warm!

41magjh
02-15-2015, 10:37 AM
Their say -23 with wind chill in Saylorsburg Pa and I do believe it snow blowing around all over the place

NSB
02-15-2015, 10:37 AM
We're warm here.....it's only four below with a thirty mile an hour wind blowing. Think I'll stay inside today.

jjohn143
02-15-2015, 10:52 AM
Its starting to warm up here, -11 Actual, -30 with windchill @9:45AM. It was a bad week to lose the heat exchanger in furnace, good thing I had plenty of wood for the wood stove. Furnace should be up and running Monday but nothing fires up the wife as much as waking up to a 52 degree house, at least the Dog was ok with it.
Supposed to drop to -15 tonight, not sure about the wife but me and the dog will be heading to the pole barn to watch TV in 72 degrees.

btroj
02-15-2015, 10:55 AM
Sorry guys but if you have that cold it means we don't. We will hit upper teens today.

I Heard there is a bounty on the head of that dang groundhog......

btroj
02-15-2015, 10:58 AM
Phil even has a warrant out for his arrest.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/02/11/punxsutawney-phil-groundhog-merrimack-police-warrant/23272575/

blademasterii
02-15-2015, 11:09 AM
Its 64 here. Guess i'll wear shoes and socks with my shorts today. :D

ballistim
02-15-2015, 11:11 AM
My Newfoundland thermometer says it's -7, just before heading back into the barn & his warm bed, he's getting up there, used to be he'd never go back inside.http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/15/b532d98a3a4c25392a7a5769c8d68656.jpg

dragon813gt
02-15-2015, 11:12 AM
It's called winter. I deal w/ it every day like any other day. While below average it's not like we've never seen this weather. Took the dog for a walk this morning. It was three degrees w/ a sustained twenty mph wind. It was a nice walk :)

BruceB
02-15-2015, 11:13 AM
Global warming, yes indeedy.

After spending 34 years in the Arctic, I will confess to a touch of schadenfreude, watching all the southern locations find out what "below zero" really feels like.

It was 70 degrees here in Reno yesterday..... sorry, but.... eat yer hearts out.

When I left the North to emigrate to Nevada, I wondered if I'd miss snow....... not bloody likely, mates!

ph4570
02-15-2015, 11:28 AM
82 here yesterday, likely same today.

btroj
02-15-2015, 11:35 AM
Its 64 here. Guess i'll wear shoes and socks with my shorts today. :D

Good luck not tripping over all the retirees. What we lack in good weather we make up for in lack of people.

BrianL
02-15-2015, 11:42 AM
Another 14" of snow, wind chills in the -30's

labradigger1
02-15-2015, 12:04 PM
Hickok
Head to fl, the fam has been there all weekend in sebastian area,
Upper 60's and 70's,
Got a nice sunburn too.
I havent missed the cold at all.

robertbank
02-15-2015, 12:04 PM
After receiving 5' 8" of snow over a 35 hour period the weather here sits at around 45F today. Water is running, spring up here just south of Alaska has sprung which is normal for this time of the year. Global warming ...bring it on coconuts growing in the back yard would be ok with me. Sam McGee and I have a lot in common.

btroj (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?1643-btroj) you gottta head to the Left Coast, Where reality and flower children meet head on.:veryconfu

Take Care

Bob

Hickok
02-15-2015, 12:32 PM
Hickok
Head to fl, the fam has been there all weekend in sebastian area,
Upper 60's and 70's,
Got a nice sunburn too.
I havent missed the cold at all.Good to hear from you Labradigger, Hope all is well with the family! You might want to stay there until about the end of April before coming back to WV!

BruceB
02-15-2015, 01:36 PM
[QUOTE=robertbank;3138679] Sam McGee and I have a lot in common.QUOTE

"......since I left Plumtree

Down in Tennessee

It's the first time I've been warm."

Sam McGee, sitting IN the roaring boiler fire, "The Cremation of Sam McGee" by Robert Service.

I laughed when I saw this statement about having a lot in common with ol' Sam.

nicholst55
02-15-2015, 02:04 PM
Supposed to be mid-80s all weekend here in Yuma. I grew up in Colorado, and have lived in the snow belt, Alaska, and South Korea for most of my adult life, so I am intimately familiar with snow and cold. Don't miss it a bit, either!

robertbank
02-15-2015, 02:08 PM
When we lived in Simpson the girls would go do there grocery store at the Bay. Linda would take our oldest, then 4 months old, with her on a sleigh. All the ladies did. You would drive by and see six of seven sleighs outside the Bay with little wiffs of breath rising from the blankets at -40C. We never thought much of it. Linda come home once from her grocery trip and thought "what am I missing" . She had left Gord back at the store in his sleigh. Off she went and there he was all cosy and sound asleep. Can you imagine doing that anywhere else in the South now. Good times, a very long time ago.

Enjoy the rest of winter folks.

Take Care

Bob

bhn22
02-15-2015, 02:10 PM
11 degrees in Lincoln. Wind chill is an astounding -400 Fahrenheit.

btroj
02-15-2015, 02:53 PM
11 degrees in Lincoln. Wind chill is an astounding -400 Fahrenheit.

Don't exaggerate, it can't be any be below -350 F with wind chill.

lancem
02-15-2015, 06:19 PM
Mid 70's and sunny, going to be all week. I am so ever glad that I moved from that frigid north. I love being outside and down here there's about a week's days or so that are too cold and another that's too hot to do much outside. We even had a day of snow here a couple of weeks ago, woke up to the beautiful sight and by 2 it was gone and I was glad :)

Col4570
02-15-2015, 06:41 PM
Yes it has been a bit Brass Monkeys here in England lately.

tryNto
02-15-2015, 07:00 PM
We basically had no Winter. Warmest January in recorded History, Probably the warmest Winter also. No precipitation since 3rd week of Dec.
Temps should be in the low to mid 40s, was 75 yesterday.
Snow pack is almost melted already. Sad

GOPHER SLAYER
02-15-2015, 07:09 PM
I just checked the thermometer on our patio and it reads 88 degrees and that's in the shade. It is supposed to be a little cooler tomorrow and then get warmer the rest of the week.

dakotashooter2
02-15-2015, 07:25 PM
-15 here yesterday with -30 wind chill....+10 here today and about 0 windchill... I take windchill factors with a grain of salt...... The formula is faulty..... It does not include humidity, which can be a huge factor.

MaryB
02-15-2015, 10:06 PM
13 today but wind chills down to -20. And of course I get a stalk clog in the corn vacuum system I use to clean corn and load it in the inside tank I fill the corn stove from. Bare finger work to get the tape off a 90 degree sweep, fish the stalk out then re-tape it. finger tips hurt still, minor frost bite from it.

buckwheatpaul
02-15-2015, 10:28 PM
I cant imagine living in that kind of cold.....we split firewood to keep the house warm and we only occassionally go down to 18 degrees.....very little ice and snow....but boy do we feel the heat of summer....August is like someone opened the gates of hades......I guess there is no perfect place so that is the reason we cast boolits and reload to get past the bad weather days.....Paul

MaryB
02-15-2015, 11:00 PM
Mn record temps -61 up north by Canada, and 114 along the Red River. 100 degrees is common here in August along with 90% humidity.

robertbank
02-15-2015, 11:10 PM
Some of you folks got to move way North. Tuesday is expected to get to 50F up here. The NOrht Pacific is supposed to be the warmest it has ever been as an El Nino builds for next year.

Take Care

Bob

GOPHER SLAYER
02-16-2015, 08:11 PM
Buckwheatpaul says there is no perfect place but actually there is. It is located on the California coast from Long Beach south down through Baja. I am attaching pictures we took this past Wednesday. You will notice there is no snow banked up against the buildings and the people are not dressed in Artic survival gear. The site will not allow me to attach pictures on this post. I will I will try another post.

GOPHER SLAYER
02-16-2015, 08:16 PM
Here are the pictures, hopefully. Sorry, cannot attach pictures.

robertbank
02-16-2015, 09:58 PM
Buckwheatpaul says there is no perfect place but actually there is. It is located on the California coast from Long Beach south down through Baja. I am attaching pictures we took this past Wednesday. You will notice there is no snow banked up against the buildings and the people are not dressed in Artic survival gear. The site will not allow me to attach pictures on this post. I will I will try another post.

Si Gringo jost give me your money and you will be on your way. No thanks...I'll pass.

Take Care

Bob

DuckHunterJon
02-16-2015, 11:13 PM
On Friday, Watertown, NY had the lowest temperature in the US at -34 F (actual temp). I was up at my father's, and it was a perfect day for ice fishing!

starmac
02-17-2015, 12:45 AM
It has been too warm here most of the winter. One of my jobs is already shutdown until next winter because of it.

cbrick
02-17-2015, 12:53 AM

robertbank
02-17-2015, 01:00 AM
Well Starmac the weather bureau said we were going to have a warm winter up here this year and it looks like the temperature is going to be above freezing for daily highs to the middle of March. Prince Edward Island on the other coast is house high in snow and more to come. Anne of Green Gables house will be buried!

Take Care

Bob

starmac
02-17-2015, 01:21 AM
We had several days down to 40 below in the 2 weeks leading up to this one. It was too cold to work for a week, but that didn't keep a creek from building pressure, now we have 5 feet of overflow over the logging road. The other log sale I am working on has a creek that took forever to freeze hard enough to get over. The crossing was still good today, but a hundred feet down stream from it you could see overflow had raised probably 2 feet and formed a huge pond, hopefully it doesn't back up to the crossing.

fatnhappy
02-17-2015, 08:42 PM
On Friday, Watertown, NY had the lowest temperature in the US at -34 F (actual temp). I was up at my father's, and it was a perfect day for ice fishing!

I was up there last year MLK weekend camping with the scouts. On that Tuesday when we left it was -34° My family is from just north of Potsdam. I distinctly remember it being -40° once when I was a kid.

dakotashooter2
02-18-2015, 12:11 AM
I lived in International Falls MN for a few years. It is known as the Ice Box of the nation. LOL it is nothing compared to North Dakota (wind chills).

starmac
02-18-2015, 03:05 AM
Well I could have run around nekkid all day today. It was up to 40 in the hills, anywhere the sun hit the road it was melting the ice. I had to use 2 sets of 3 railers to get out of the woods.

MaryB
02-18-2015, 04:42 AM
-6, -35 windchill... decidedly NOT nice out.

dragon813gt
02-18-2015, 06:44 AM
Read an article saying that this is one of the warmest on record. I remember reading the same thing last year. And both times there was a disclaimer saying "except for the north east".

My dishwasher froze up thanks to these single digit nights. First winter w/ one and of course this happens. Pretty sure I burnt the pump up. Once it's thawed out I can test it.

Wis. Tom
02-18-2015, 11:25 AM
When you are a scientist, and you are considered an expert on global warming, and you only receive your grant money if the results indicate that global warming is getting worse, it is easy to believe that last year was the warmest year, ever. Just saying...

cbrick
02-18-2015, 11:34 AM
When you are a scientist, and you are considered an expert on global warming, and you only receive your grant money if the results indicate that global warming is getting worse, it is easy to believe that last year was the warmest year, ever. Just saying...

Bingo! Kinda funny how the propaganda media fails to mention the study done and signed by 31,000 scientists worldwide that said man made global warming is political BS. Ok, they didn't use those words but that is what they said.

Rick

DR Owl Creek
02-18-2015, 12:40 PM
I just wanted to say "Thanks" to all of our friends in the mid-south for taking one for the team on all the ice and freezing rain, and to everyone in New England for taking one on the new record snow falls. Better you than me! I'm not laughing at you though. The temp is supposed to get all the way up to 7 degrees here tomorrow, and down to -10 tomorrow night, not counting the wind which never seems to stop blowing. I can't wait for all that global warming to start kicking in!

Just to put things in perspective, though, I checked AccuWeather for what's going on in Antarctica. It's supposed to be -43 degrees at the South Pole today, not counting the wind chill. This is summer time down there too. Guess I'll take what we have, and be happy.

Dave