PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to reload in a fifth wheel?

Jamesconn
02-14-2015, 07:38 PM
its been 2-3 years since I last cast or reloaded at all. Due to work I have to live in hotels pretty much 24/7. This summer I am going to purchase a fifth wheel to live in full time, and I was wondering if yall think it is possible to reload. I plan on getting no less than a 35ft model. We work in 2 man crews but it turns into a 3 man crew about 25% of the time.

Do yall think itd be possible? Ill have all my worldy possessions in it (clothes, gun, cooking, and camping stuff) and the other people bring about a week of clothes and food. I wont be able to cast but I can buy boolits.

btroj
02-14-2015, 07:42 PM
Why not? People load at the range or away from home all the time. Think it out, decide what your needs are, and make a plan.

jcwit
02-14-2015, 07:48 PM
Like btroj says, why not. Do you have all the equipment?

bubba.50
02-14-2015, 07:52 PM
some of those small windin' bumpy roads might give ya fits but, with a steady hand it could likely be done[smilie=l:.

jmort
02-14-2015, 08:03 PM
The Lee Breech Lock hand loader works well.

Dan Cash
02-14-2015, 08:03 PM
I have a 5th wheel with 1 living room slide out. OAL is 35 ft I think. While I have the place to my self, I have looked at setting up a loading bench for black powder reloads at matches. It looks very doable to me.

ballistim
02-14-2015, 08:23 PM
I wish I wouldn't have sold my travel trailer, used to use it as an alternative spot to reload and record guitar tracks without interruption.

Buzz64
02-14-2015, 08:28 PM
Toy hauler - 10 or 12ft garage. Problem solved.

starmac
02-14-2015, 08:37 PM
Just thinking, when I was a kid I did my reloading with a lee loader, and was known to reload on the tailgate of my pickup more than once. I'm thinking it would be plenty doable in a fifth wheel or even a motel room if you wanted to.

roadie
02-14-2015, 08:51 PM
I don't see why you couldn't set something up, taking into consideration the flimsy construction of most 5th wheels, should you want to hang shelves or such.

My main concern would be the apparent propensity to leaking that trailers seem to have, the humidity wouldn't do great things for equipment or reloading components. Also the humidity problems you might have with three guys living in a small enclosed place.

10x
02-14-2015, 09:13 PM
I don't see why you couldn't set something up, taking into consideration the flimsy construction of most 5th wheels, should you want to hang shelves or such.

My main concern would be the apparent propensity to leaking that trailers seem to have, the humidity wouldn't do great things for equipment or reloading components. Also the humidity problems you might have with three guys living in a small enclosed place.

With 3 guys living in a 5th wheel I would avoid meals that included legumes (beans) and beer. Those contribute to humidity considerable.

Houndog
02-14-2015, 09:31 PM
I don't see any problem at all with it. When we go to a Benchrest match ALL my loading gear is in a 2 drawer carry around tool box. You might have to adapt a few things like a RCBS pardner press mounted on a board to clamp to a tabletop instead of a permanently mounted press and a powder measure on a moveable stand, but I don't see anything unsurmountable. You could also cast boolets outside in decent weather with few problems. Think ouside the box a little. You WILL get there!

tallwalker
02-14-2015, 09:45 PM
I am a firm believer that you can do most anything in a 5th wheel. After Katrina I lived in one full time for over 2yrs. Almost lost my mind, so I started building acoustic guitars from scratch and by hand. Trust me, you can reload in a 5th wheel! ;)

MUSTANG
02-14-2015, 09:46 PM
By all means yes. Decide how much space you can afford for reloading gear and powder/primer/ball. Some ideas on smaller footprint reloading in a trailer:

Classic Lee Loader
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Classic-Lee-Loader/733635.uts

or

Lee Hand Press Kit
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lee-Hand-Press-Kit/1172297.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct.jsp%3 FproductId%3D733635&categoryIds=104792580|104761080|104516280|&WTz_l=RI%3BIK-210526

smokeywolf
02-14-2015, 10:01 PM
Most 5th wheels have a basement/storage area forward or aft of the kitchen/bath/eating area. Do some engineering and see if you can rig something that you can fix or fasten your press, powder measure and scale to that will swing or slide out of the basement/storage compartment. Mount a fire extinguisher near your reloading area. Because your trailer is electrically above ground (not grounded), if you're not plugged into power, it might be a good idea to find a way to discharge the trailer prior to doing any reloading; particularly black powder of course.

smokeywolf

alamogunr
02-14-2015, 10:03 PM
Do a search for Portable Reloading. I looked into this for reloading at the range. Quite a bit of information out there. I got sidetracked and never got around to it but at the time I had a lot of ideas that I got from others who were doing it.

runfiverun
02-14-2015, 10:27 PM
Easily done, we had two set-ups for the trailer when I was traveling
the trap shooting circuit one was a ponsess warren we set up on a carpet backed board and clamped down on the table.
And the second set-up was on a small bench we kept under the side of the trailer.
We would pull it out and fold down the legs and bolt them in place and set it up under the awning.
this was for the dillon's and rock-chuckers.

geargnasher
02-14-2015, 11:06 PM
Did it for four years in college in a 16' Shasta bumper-pull. Cast on the stove, tumble-lubed, used a hand press and hand primer. I probably shot between 18-20,000 rounds of .38 Special during that time. Stuff stored in plastic tubs that fit under the bed. I didn't have a roommate, though.

Gear

MaryB
02-14-2015, 11:53 PM
You could cast with premade ingots so you don't need to smelt. Little 20 pound Lee pot takes up the space of a soup kettle. One thing I would do is make or buy a safe to bolt to the frame under the bed or in a closet to store the guns in.

Jamesconn
02-15-2015, 12:06 AM
Like btroj says, why not. Do you have all the equipment?

due to family issues I have to start from scratch. It isnt a total loss though I had lee stuff, now I get to upgrade.

.30-06 fan
02-15-2015, 12:09 AM
yes, it is possible.

btroj
02-15-2015, 12:11 AM
If you have a place to clamp a press then you can load. If no place to clamp a press then look at a Lyman 310 tool.
Much of what is possible is based on desire and ingenuity. Be creative. Find a way. Make it work.

seaboltm
02-15-2015, 12:12 AM
Hell yes. You will have to be clever, but it can sure be done. What about a reloading bench that has an attachment that can clamp into a trailer hitch? Weather has to be good, but the setup would be solid as as ****.

WILCO
02-15-2015, 12:12 AM
http://www.titanreloading.com/image/data/D2g/leeloader.jpg

.30-06 fan
02-15-2015, 12:15 AM
yes, it is.

but, there are some tricky mountain passes which may pose technical problems....

Blacksmith
02-15-2015, 12:20 AM
With a Lee Loader, hand press, or 310 tool you could reload in the cab of the truck. Pick the appropriate tools and you can reload anywhere. The rest are just bells a whistles to make things easier or faster.

Jamesconn
02-15-2015, 12:54 AM
Ill have to try the hitch thing in the summer today it got down to -30

StolzerandSons
02-15-2015, 01:25 AM
Many moons ago I worked in Industrial Construction and spent most of my off hours living in a 26ft bumper pull camper usually several states from home. I reloaded many thousands of rounds with a Lee Handloader, a 505 scale, a trickler, the proper dies, Powder and a few odds and ends of other bits. Basically everything fit in a boot box and with nothing but laundry and boredom, reloading and finding a place to shoot can be a great way to spend your down time.

Plate plinker
02-15-2015, 06:02 AM
Go for it. A basement is a good way to do it build a sliding table that you can anchor well. Or the toy hauler is a good idea too. TH sleeps a lot of people in the garage too. I really like those for the user friendly space.

We also build a 5th wheel that has a 4' room in the back that would be perfect for a loading room with custom bench. And you can do a bed in there that folds down. Figure I'm the only guy at that plant that sees that option it's a 39 footer.

Side note. Can't speak for all of them but our units and I suspect all modern units are grounded via the frame being grounded through the shoreline. That's part of a test I perform everyday.

Sasquatch-1
02-15-2015, 06:29 AM
Ran a quick search and found a lot of commercial and custom built portable reloading benches. This one actually seemed to be the cheapest out.

sthwestvictoria
02-15-2015, 06:34 AM
Junior Doughty (Vale) has an article on casting in an apartment:
http://www.castbullet.com/reload/table.htm

IN ABC reloading by Dean Grennell he talks about using many watts of power in hotel rooms to cast 38 wadcutters during his years as a travelling salesman.

trapper9260
02-15-2015, 07:03 AM
I say if there is a will there is a way.Like others stated for what can be done go with it and you will be on your way after.

gon2shoot
02-15-2015, 10:35 AM
Did it for 30 years.
(stay away from Hoover Dam)

Artful
02-15-2015, 11:37 AM
I suggest a search
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?123331-Portable-Reloading
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?111461-Portable-Reloading-Set-Up
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?177241-start-of-my-portable-reloading-set-up
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?45630-Portable-Reloading-Station/page2
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?159076-Portable-Loading-Bench
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?36422-Ideas-on-Portable-bench

etc ... etc ... etc

Ultimate portable
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?214570-compact-and-portable-kit

Kraschenbirn
02-15-2015, 12:12 PM
My wife and I were tent/Jeep campers for a lot of years and I've loaded a lot of rounds out in the sticks on days when it was too rainy to do much of anything else. Everything but my empty brass and finished ammo fit into an old G.I. toolbox and I could set up anywhere with a sufficiently solid surface (picnic table, tree stump, etc.) to secure my little single-stage press. Met a fellow once at an IHMSA match who'd built himself a set-up that fit into the receiver hitch of his pick-up...a square of 1/4" plate, drilled and tapped for 5/16" mounting bolts, and welded onto a foot or so of 1 1/2" square tubing.

Bill

snuffy
02-15-2015, 12:27 PM
My only concern would be having a solid level place for the powder scale. Especially a beam type scale, but digitals also have to be level. Small errors yes, but @ top loading levels maybe enough to make a difference.

Jamesconn
02-15-2015, 12:50 PM
Trailers have basements? I like that stool idea.

I am not sure if I could go to only a single stage press.
How do yall clean cases? I cant have a room dedicated to reloading anymore and I dont want lead dust all over my camper from the tumbler. Most of the time its way to cold to do it outside.

If yall wanted to upgrade from Lee what would you get?
The things I wont miss about lees turret press
The handle falling off
the auto index didnt always line up right after loading a few thousand cases
alot of powder didnt make it into the cases there was always powder all over the table
the priming system is very flimsy

I might just hand prime this time.

Its probably possible to cast and maybe I will in the future but right now Id rather not have to store all the extra equipment.

Minerat
02-15-2015, 12:52 PM
I used a B&D Shopmate in the living room until I acquired SWAMBO then it had to go back to the garage. Mounted the Rock Chucker on a plywood base and attached a 2x4 to clamp in the jaws. Could reload 7mm Rem Mags without a problem. The shopmate folds up and the press can be stored out of the way or throw a table cloth over it and it is a high end table with a foot rest.;)

montana_charlie
02-15-2015, 01:52 PM
If you use a beam scale, don't travel with the beam mounted in the bearings.
The constant vibration will dull the knives and damage the agate.

CM

Plate plinker
02-15-2015, 02:10 PM
The basement is the area under the upper deck of a 5th wheel. You could tumble in there, but do your sifting outside. You furnace is in this space with all the rest of the mechanicals separates by osb walls. Most people jam this area full of lawn chairs and assorted stuff. If you get a unit with hydraulic level up (auto-level) your unit should be level enough for a scale.

I mentioned toy hauler another plus to them is you could get a full size washer dryer in that area a big plus for extended stays.

HeavyMetal
02-15-2015, 02:22 PM
I set up for reloading in a small scale set up for my apt. about two years ago, I had already built a set up to load at the range and just needed to re adjust a few things for the bedroom.

Now for a press I wanted small and since most of my loading is pistol rounds I went with a Lyman Tru Line Jr, the later one with compound Linkage.

I then bought a new turret for it cut for 6 holes and 7/8x14 dies and went to Harbor Freight and got one of thier grinder stands on sale for 29 bucks. This was set up with a plate tha I could clamp various press's to as my needs for ammo changed.

We have a guy here selling a table set up very near what Lee offers so switching press's is not as hard as you might think, LOL!

Currently mine has a Lee Classic cast for Rifle, my Customized Tru Line, and a MEC 650 in 410. My other press's can be switched out in my storage as I need other shells, currently need to go get my MEC Sizemaster in 28 gauge out and store the 410.

As for cleaning case's: keeping the dust down is paramount in your proposed enviroment and wet tumbling is how to do that!

Minimum is another trip to Harbor Freight for one of thier dual drum rock tumblers! You can use the OEM drums or build you a larger drum out of 4 inch black PVC pipe, I saw the thread here with pic's and made two for my HF tumbler for 14 bucks out of Lowe's.

A little engineering will be needed to store a Press, or press's, and I will second the STRONG lockable storage for guns, as well as components.

I think a 35 foot trailer with a slider would be able to provide you with a bedroom with a single rack and room for your stuff, your wardrobe changes may suffer but I think that sacrifice a small one.

flyingmonkey35
02-15-2015, 02:26 PM
Something like this would work very well.

http://home.comcast.net/~duck911/reloading_bench.jpg

sthwestvictoria
02-15-2015, 03:47 PM
I am not sure if I could go to only a single stage press.
How do yall clean cases?

.ein
You don't really need to. When I was loading out of a suitcase in rental houses I would de-prime, scrape the primer pocket to clean and give the neck a quick scrub with a piece of steel wool and call it done.

Rustyleee
02-15-2015, 04:32 PM
When I was first married I kept my reloading gear in a metal lunchbox. A Lee loader, a pound of powder, mallet, and bullets and had room left over.

wv109323
02-15-2015, 07:33 PM
I knew a guy that shot NRA highpower rifle and reloaded in a camper. He had to make a portable table strong enough for the press to resize cases but other than that it was on the "kitchen" table.

LUBEDUDE
02-15-2015, 08:19 PM
R1kk1 travels in a fifth wheel and reloads.

In fact he just recently bought a portable bench that came with a slick mount system that covers most presses.

He hangs out a lot in the Reloading Equipment section if you want to look him up.

His thread on that bench is probably only about a month old if you want to look for it.

MaryB
02-15-2015, 09:37 PM
Wet tumble with a harbor freight tumbler, rinse cases in the shower, dry in the oven. 3 guys in a trailer is going to be cramped so I can see needing to make stuff so it can be stored. Easiest is piece of ply with the press clamped to the table.

gmsharps
02-16-2015, 01:21 AM
I lived in a 5th wheel for 2 1/2 years on a contract and used a Black and Decker foldable bench for my reloading using a Lyman aluminum press to save on weight. Of course I did all of my smelting and casting outside. I used zip lock bags to keep Boolits and brass from going everywhere when traveling though. It's definitely doable but choose your accessories wisely to save on both weight and space. There was plenty of room to store the table in one of the cubby holes in the 5th wheel.

gmsharps

Plate plinker
02-16-2015, 05:47 AM
For those who use RVs or may don't forget to inspect the roof yearly and reseal as necessary. Probably the number 1 reason for damage roof neglect.

MaryB
02-17-2015, 01:22 AM
Friend just bought a motorhome that I am going to end up helping him and his wife rebuild... he always gets me for wiring and plumbing...

pipehand
02-17-2015, 09:36 PM
James, I do all my reloading in a 33foot fifth wheel toy hauler while I work out of town. I do my brass tumbling and bullet casting, sizing and lubing at home on the weekends. I have a pretty stout bench in the "garage" that has two single stage rcbs presses, a powder measure, and a MEC 600jr mounted. Couldn't see doing it with roommates, though. My stuff takes up too much room.

If you're really tight on space,.a Lee Hand Press, and dippers will let you make some good ammo with limited storage space.