PDA

View Full Version : Who makes a 6 to 8 cav. 45 LC F/Cowboy Action

Just Duke
03-01-2008, 02:04 AM
The wife and I have been wanting to do Cowboy Action Shooting for years. So I am going to make the plunge.
I am looking for a 6 to 8 cavity mould for 45 Long Colt in a 200 preferably 250 grain. What can you suggest?
TIA

Dale53
03-01-2008, 02:13 AM
Lee Precision makes both a 200 grain round flat nose and a 255 grain round flat nose six cavity bullet mould.

Lyman makes really nice "iron" four cavity moulds and their cowboy mould is #452664. I have used this extensively for both smokeless and black powder with excellent results.

Both the Lee and Lyman designs should not only work well in the revolver but should feed very well in the lever action rifles.

Dale53

Just Duke
03-01-2008, 02:29 AM
Thanks I forgot to state that I was looking for a bullet that works both in lever-action and revolvers.

EDK
03-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Go over to leverguns.com and then to articles. Glenn Fryxell has a lot of info on 1894 Marlins in 357, 44 and 45 on what feeds and loadings...although it is high end performance for the rifles with cast boolits. Use the boolit and drop the powder charge.

The LYMAN Cowboy Boolits have suited my needs and worked well in my 1894 Marlin Cowboys.

If the standard LEE moulds don't fit your needs, go to Big Lube bullets. He is getting full retail....I guess, 'cause I usually get my stuff from the discount merchants; I'm not up on prices...and has specialty moulds for CAS and BLACK POWDER.

Cliffsgunsmithing has a web site with discounted and discontinued moulds.

I'd look more at a 200 grain boolit. Less recoil and more boolits per pound. Finding any form of lead is getting tougher every day.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

Blackhawk Convertable
03-01-2008, 01:30 PM
You can get a Lee 6 cavity 200 grain in 2 different styles from MidSouth for $36.15. Handles are another $12.68.

006-90697 which is a round nose flat tip in the more traditional style or

006-90379 which is a semi wad cutter designed for tumble lubing. (I have one of these molds) If you would like to try some of these, let me know and we'll work something out.

Either one should fit your needs. I would recommend tumble lubing either one with Johnson's Paste Wax. I have been having fantastic results. Shot 50 rounds out of my rifle at the last shoot, which is an Uberti 73 in 38-40, and when I ran a wet patch thru the barrel, came out almost clean! Pistols were pretty much the same way. I don't even clean them after every match any more. Give them a quick wipe down with an oil rag and back into the safe they go.

mroliver77
03-01-2008, 03:37 PM
I really like the Lee 6 cav 255 RF. Boolits fall from the mold easily,have very few rejects, load nice and shoot accurately. I will try the same in 200 gr when I get round toit.
J

WyrTwister
03-02-2008, 07:39 AM
The wife and I have been wanting to do Cowboy Action Shooting for years. So I am going to make the plunge.
I am looking for a 6 to 8 cavity mould for 45 Long Colt in a 200 preferably 250 grain. What can you suggest?
TIA

I do not shoot cowboy , but I have a S&W & a lever gun in .45 LC .

Check out

http://www.factorysales.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1204457572.46=/html/catalog/bullmol2.html

I traded for the 90358 two cavity mold and I am experimenting with it , now . This throws 232 grain bullets , using high percentage Linotype alloy . Softer lead would be heavier & probably OK for cowboy velocity loads .

Most of my handgun molds are Lee six cavity . You can turn out a lot of bullets .

Do not know about 8 cavity .

WyrTwister
03-02-2008, 07:46 AM
You can get a Lee 6 cavity 200 grain in 2 different styles from MidSouth for $36.15. Handles are another $12.68.

006-90697 which is a round nose flat tip in the more traditional style or

006-90379 which is a semi wad cutter designed for tumble lubing. (I have one of these molds) If you would like to try some of these, let me know and we'll work something out.

Either one should fit your needs. I would recommend tumble lubing either one with Johnson's Paste Wax. I have been having fantastic results. Shot 50 rounds out of my rifle at the last shoot, which is an Uberti 73 in 38-40, and when I ran a wet patch thru the barrel, came out almost clean! Pistols were pretty much the same way. I don't even clean them after every match any more. Give them a quick wipe down with an oil rag and back into the safe they go.

Could you please give more information on the Johnson's Paste Wax ?

Thanks ,
Wyr

God bless