PDA

View Full Version : ebuy outbid and reserve not me pop-ups will NOT stop

ohland
02-12-2015, 01:12 PM
Something must have changed at ebuy. Now I am getting these dorky pop-ups coming in from the right side. One is an outbid on something I will NOT pay more for... Others are bidding it up, let 'em get it. Somehow, ebuy thinks if it keeps bleating at me I will jump right back in and show them who's boss... Nope.

Other item is reserve not met. Well, no foolin'. Like I'm going to go to the max with my first bid while there's still 4 days left.

Went to site map (why not preferences, like most other apps?), and cleared buying alerts (and saved), then communications preferences, buying activity, set outbid to none (other choice is real-time...). Saved.

Still getting the pop-ups.

bangerjim
02-12-2015, 01:17 PM
Do what I did many years ago........quit bidding on stuff on evilbay.
Buy local.......buy new.
Problem solved!

banger

imashooter2
02-12-2015, 01:20 PM
Some MBA has a study that shows X% of the people will repond to the pop ups and bid more while only Y% of the users will quit the system because of the annoyance and they will make an extra buck in the trade off. So you can count on being annoyed without relief as long as you continue to use the system.

Alvarez Kelly
02-12-2015, 01:29 PM
I noticed the change also. It started within the last 2 days. Very annoying.

Alvarez Kelly
02-12-2015, 01:29 PM
Please post if anyone figures out how to stop it!

oldred
02-12-2015, 02:11 PM
E-buy???????? :confused:

Are you talking about E-BAY? If so and if you are running Firefox then go to Adblock-plus,

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

Download this adblocker and it should solve the problem. Using this Firefox add-on I don't see anything like you mention on E-Bay (assuming it is E-Bay you are talking about) nor any of the other ads that plague E-Bay and other sites.

If you are not running Firefox as your browser then go to "Control Panel" select "Add/remove programs" or "Programs/Features" depending on your operating system. Scroll down the programs list and see if you can find "Wajam" or "Yontoon" and if either or both are present then remove them and restart the computer. This may or may not solve your problem but I have seen this work for others for a very similar pop-up problem, if you are running Firefox then Adblock-plus for Firefox should not only fix that problem but you will see almost no ads anywhere anymore.

dragon813gt
02-12-2015, 02:47 PM
No annoyances when using the eBay app on my phone :)

pertnear
02-12-2015, 02:57 PM
The OP must not be talking about eBay because they make enough money without resorting to such annoying tactics. A google search showed me that there does exist an "eBuy" website.

???

ohland
02-12-2015, 04:06 PM
The OP must not be talking about eBay because they make enough money without resorting to such annoying tactics.

Of course I'm not discussing ebay. Must have been a scam link with a website that looks very similar to ebay and links to PreyPal as well.

oldred
02-12-2015, 04:10 PM
Everyone seems to think E-Bay is making gobs of money but it looks like they are actually not very profitable at all, the new owner has successfully spun off PayPal into a separate entity and he either wants to find a buyer for E-Bay or dismantle it altogether. Apparently E-Bay as we know it is about to come to an end, even if a buyer is found it will likely be unrecognizable by the end of the year from what it is now. I'm surprised that more folks are not aware of this?

http://www.businessinsider.com/ebays-q4-earnings-call-was-brutal-2015-1

bhn22
02-12-2015, 04:11 PM
Preypal... How appropriate!

oldred
02-12-2015, 04:20 PM
Of course I'm not discussing ebay. Must have been a scam link with a website that looks very similar to ebay and links to PreyPal as well.

Look we were trying to help if Ebuy is just a joke there was no way of knowing that, the internet is full of weird sites and there could very well be an Ebuy, as it is I still don't know which you meant?

https://www.ebuy.gsa.gov/advantage/ebuy/start_page.do

ohland
02-12-2015, 04:23 PM
Everyone seems to think E-Bay is making gobs of money but it looks like they are actually not very profitable at all, the new owner has successfully spun off PayPal into a separate entity and he either wants to find a buyer for E-Bay or dismantle it altogether. Apparently E-Bay as we know it is about to come to an end, even if a buyer is found it will likely be unrecognizable by the end of the year from what it is now. I'm surprised that more folks are not aware of this?

Creative destruction offers hope. I went in under IE10, and I saw the unchecked box for Ad buy-in, but under options, it still shows YES. I use Privacy Badger, it blocks cookies, NoScript blocks scripts on a case-by-case basis. Somehow, I don't really feel convinced that ebuy really gives a rat's buttocks on how annoying or privacy compromising their site is. Prove me wrong... If it was an over-riding concern, the default setting would be OFF for ads and notices.

Unrecognizable by years end? Heck, it was changing pretty good over the last two years.

oldred
02-12-2015, 04:55 PM
You know I STILL can't tell if you are talking about Ebay or some site called Ebuy???? Joking around is ok but if you are serious about the question it would help if you make it plain about an attempt at humor, such was definitely not the situation here but in any case have fun and good luck with it, evidently you just wanted to rant and wasn't actually asking for help so pardon me for trying.

ohland
02-12-2015, 05:05 PM
You know I STILL can't tell if you are talking about Ebay or some site called Ebuy???? Joking around is ok but if you are serious about the question it would help if you make it plain about an attempt at humor, such was definitely not the situation here but in any case have fun and good luck with it, evidently you just wanted to rant and wasn't actually asking for help so pardon me for trying.

I have asked the question on the ebay forums and was directed to the site map. There is no simple single checkbox nor is there (apparent to me) any guide to accomplish what I want to do. Just consider that running around super serious all the time is _not_ fun, nor does it make your friends feel confident.

www.ebay.com is what we are talking about. Did that change anything that I mentioned? Thanks for asking.

oldred
02-12-2015, 05:19 PM
Just consider that running around super serious all the time is _not_ fun, nor does it make your friends feel confident.

Joking doesn't work when the humor is not obvious and apparently I was not the only one puzzled about that, not a slap at you but the humor was just not obvious and the sarcastic replies just made it worse. Have a good day and good luck getting help for your problem.

bangerjim
02-12-2015, 07:11 PM
Guess we need to re-setablish the sarcasm purple font!

Yodogsandman
02-12-2015, 07:47 PM
EvillBay charges sellers 10% of the selling price. If it's a "free shipping" item, the full selling price is charged 10% with no provision for actual shipping costs.

PreyPal also charges 5% for those same items. So, the seller's price will reflect those unseen 15% charges.

I don't see how they can stay in business!!

Banger, I could only find lilac or plum colors.

oldred
02-12-2015, 08:59 PM
According to a couple of business articles I read recently concerning the Ebay/Paypal breakup the reason Ebay is not as profitable as they once were is that not only are auction sales steeply declining but the competition from Amazon and now WalMart's new service is giving them a real run for the money. The driving force behind the break-up is Carl Icahnn who is the architect behind the shakeup going on with Ebay right now, in this link they talk about the spin-off of Paypal which is all that Icahn wanted and clearly state,

"The company is said to be open for acquisition bids for its core enterprise, once the spinoff has been finalized"

http://www.bidnessetc.com/34703-ebay-inc-to-give-paypal-5-billion-cash-postspinoff/

Ebay will in all likelihood remain but it's about to undergo some serious changes in an attempt to become more profitable, I know the numbers look like they "should" be making a ton of money but costs of operation for a global outfit like Ebay are staggering and even with as much money as they are bringing in that all-important bottom line is still lagging behind. A fox business news article just a couple of weeks ago stated that it's very possible that Ebay will change so much in the coming months it may be hardly recognizable compared to today and even mentioned the unlikely scenario they could even cease to exist, not likely but still possible.

ohland
02-12-2015, 10:29 PM
http://www.bidnessetc.com/34703-ebay-inc-to-give-paypal-5-billion-cash-postspinoff/

"Mr. Swan added that after the spinoff, eBay will direct its efforts toward a much narrower market, wherein more emphasis will be placed on 40% of the buying public interested in attractive deals."

Not that I have any ideal what this means, but one reading would be volume. Perhaps a paring of the vast range of commodity / item types. I shudder to think of HSN or the Jewelry Network being the re-incarnation.

"eBay is open for acquisition bids for its core business segment"

Wowser, whatever that means.

DougGuy
02-13-2015, 12:15 AM
The problem, is bidding. When you see something you want, put it on the watch list, set an alarm on your phone if you need to, but don't bid on it until the last closing seconds. You don't run the bids up this way, and you don't give some newb a chance to bid over and over and over against you until he is the high bidder. Go on there, figure out what you will pay for it, add the price of a 6 pack or two to that for good measure, and bid with 8 seconds left.

bangerjim
02-13-2015, 12:38 AM
"Bid early........and bid often!"

MaryB
02-13-2015, 12:52 AM
In other words "we want the chinese sellers selling tons of fake junk at stupid prices and the heck with all of the smaller sellers who only sell a couple thousands dollars a year in goods"

"Mr. Swan added that after the spinoff, eBay will direct its efforts toward a much narrower market, wherein more emphasis will be placed on 40% of the buying public interested in attractive deals."

Not that I have any ideal what this means, but one reading would be volume. Perhaps a paring of the vast range of commodity / item types. I shudder to think of HSN or the Jewelry Network being the re-incarnation.

"eBay is open for acquisition bids for its core business segment"

Wowser, whatever that means.

ohland
02-13-2015, 01:32 PM
In other words "we want the chinese sellers selling tons of fake junk at stupid prices and the heck with all of the smaller sellers who only sell a couple thousands dollars a year in goods"

Read an article that claims the USPS gives better postal rates to the asian shippers than to the US patrons.

The Postal Service is losing millions a year to help you buy cheap stuff from Chinahttp://www.washingtonpost.com/news/storyline/wp/2014/09/12/the-postal-service-is-losing-millions-a-year-to-help-you-buy-cheap-stuff-from-china/

bangerjim
02-13-2015, 01:34 PM
Read an article that claims the USPS gives better postal rates to the asian shippers than to the US patrons.

The Postal Service is losing millions a year to help you buy cheap stuff from China

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/storyline/wp/2014/09/12/the-postal-service-is-losing-millions-a-year-to-help-you-buy-cheap-stuff-from-china/

Ah.....yes.............your federal government at work for your again!

Alvarez Kelly
02-13-2015, 03:00 PM
It seems the pop up problem with eBay is now fixed. It hasn't happened once today. Yesterday, it happened every minute or so.

ohland
02-13-2015, 10:22 PM
It seems the pop up problem with eBay is now fixed. It hasn't happened once today. Yesterday, it happened every minute or so.

Yup, same here. I'll try enabling the real-time reporting on outbid....

cuzinbruce
02-14-2015, 12:09 AM
eBay is a public company. Stock traded on NYSE. So I don't know who you would say is the owner. As for profitability, the link above says they have 6.3 Billion cash and are going to hand over 5 Billion to PayPal when it is spun-off. That came from somewhere. They have no inventory costs, no costs for fulfillment, etc, etc but their gross margin is about where Walmart is when you figure eBay and PayPal together. The sellers have the overhead and inventory costs. eBay just has some computers and some expensive suits. Any problems with their business model are of their own making. Management is dumber than dumb.

MaryB
02-14-2015, 01:38 AM
Fees are out of control on ebay, when I started selling they were a reasonable 3%, now 10% and that has made ebay go from bargains to over priced junk.