PDA

View Full Version : More .32 SWC expansion testing

patrick_sween
02-12-2015, 10:35 AM
Tried my modified Lee 314-90 bullets in water jugs last week, yesterday tried them in wetpack. Results were promising again. Bullets were fired into wetpack from about 3', so very nearly muzzle velocity. Both cast bullets were cast of my soft SOWW with 2% tin alloy. The solid SWC, weighing 103 grains, penetrated 11.5" of wetpack, leaving a straight wound track about 0.5" in diameter. The HP version, weighing 91 grains, penetrated 9" with a wound track up to almost an inch for the first 4 inches, then tapering down to caliber diameter by the time it stopped. For fun I then shot one of my carry loads, a 124gn 9mm XTP out of my 3" barrel Kel-Tec. Penetration was 10.5", with a nearly 1.5" wound track for all but the first 1" and last 2". Below is a pic of the fired bullets next to the unfired. In case it's not obvious, L to R is 103 SWC, 91 HP, 124 XTP.

Thanks for looking

Patrick

EMC45
02-12-2015, 11:08 AM
You results look very good. I have that same .314 mold from Lee and would like to do something similar. "One day" is what I always say. I think your HP results are textbook. They look perfect! Well done!

Cowboy_Dan
02-12-2015, 12:56 PM
I am surprised at how symmetrically that 91HP opened up, especially since you mention elsewhere that the HP is off-center. I wonder what what baby would do in my Tokarev, assuming it would feed.

patrick_sween
02-12-2015, 07:28 PM
It did open up pretty well, all things considered. If you could see it first hand you would see that it did mushroom asymmetrically, with the folded down 'petal' of lead on the thin side cracking a bit. Not sure it would matter in a critter, but will try to improve it on the next go round. It looks like at this low velocity I could get away with a shallower HP as well, since it ran out of steam before it opened all the way to the bottom of the cavity. Might try a shorter, wider pin next time. I'm looking for a tissue parachute for pests in the 10-20 lb. range so fast, violent expansion and 6-8" penetration would be fine. All part of the fun to experiment.

Patrick

35remington
02-12-2015, 08:03 PM
How fast were these going?

nagantguy
02-12-2015, 08:11 PM
Great write up thank you. Your cast boolots look real good and I think if your desired parameters are violent tissue and organ disruption on 10-20 pound critters I'd say you are there and to test the theory I'd offer you an open invite; we are over run with racoons and feral cats!

patrick_sween
02-12-2015, 10:03 PM
Raccoons, possums, and maybe the rare coyote are the intended targets for this gun and load, but I seem to have plenty of my own! As for speed, I haven't chronoed any yet, but based on the book I'm guessing mid 800's. These are an upper end .32 Long load using TiteGroup, in .32 H&R cases for a Ruger Single Six, 6.5" barrel. They are quieter than a high vel. .22LR out of the same type gun, so I don't need to run for my earplugs when I find a raccoon eating the cat food. They cost me about $3 per 50 to load, so they should be quieter, cheaper, and much more effective than .22 for what I'm doing, plus it's fun.

Patrick

Mk42gunner
02-13-2015, 12:17 AM
I think I would leave the pin at the depth it is now; that way if you do want more expansion, all you have to do is up the velocity.

I think I will pick up one of those molds to modify for my .32's. Mold madness, does it never end?

Robert