PDA

View Full Version : 65lb lead bar

kooz
02-29-2008, 09:37 PM
I have a 65lb pure lead bar that says "gould" on the bottom, I was going to mix it 50/50 with some wheel weights to make .45ACP bullets, but was thinking that it might be better to trade someone for wheel weights that needs the pure lead. Being that the pure stuff is worth a bit more than WW material, what would be a fair amount of WW's to ask for in trade for this bar ?

cohutt
02-29-2008, 10:27 PM
I have a 65lb pure lead bar that says "gould" on the bottom, I was going to mix it 50/50 with some wheel weights to make .45ACP bullets, but was thinking that it might be better to trade someone for wheel weights that needs the pure lead. Being that the pure stuff is worth a bit more than WW material, what would be a fair amount of WW's to ask for in trade for this bar ?

one like these?

I've done some trades even for ww ingots although i keep reading that BP shooters will pay up for pure. I haven't worked it real hard though, maybe you can do better.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/cohutt/leadaugust2007003.jpg

Bob Krack
02-29-2008, 11:23 PM

You certainly jogged my memory! (somezheimers, not alzheimers!)

Just a few days ago at Jone Fort in Redding, I saw but din't pay attention to some large lead ingots. Maybe 3 ft long, 2 inches by 2 or 3 inches, with an slotted hole in one end. Lot's of "cold poured" wrinkles. Gotta go check.

But to answer your question, in another life 30 plus years ago I cast .45ACPs (thousands of them) out of pure wheel weights and they always worked fine as cast. YMMV

Vic

dmftoy1
03-01-2008, 06:45 AM
Just out of curiosity . ..what are those bars for typically? (and more importantly . .where do you find them? :) )

cohutt
03-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Mine came from a friend's scrap yard.

WHo turned it in? maybe an old plumber's shop or something. Note that the 4th one has been partially used up.

Ilco = Interstate Lead Co. It had a smelting site near Birmingham Al not too far from here, it was a superfund cleanup site back 20 years ago or so

Bad Water Bill
03-01-2008, 09:47 PM
villageidjit I think your ingot might be linotype. It sounds like the ones I have from a print shop that closed BWB:castmine:

mroliver77
03-01-2008, 10:36 PM
I hear of the people wanting pure lead and willing to trade but have never found any. I just use all I get and am happy. 50-50 will make good boolits for the .45. Funny how I have been stretching the WW for quite a while and soon it looks as though I will be en vogeu. ;)
J

S.B.
03-11-2008, 12:03 AM
I have a 50 lb. bar that I tether my dog to but, live in a smaller town and don't think I could trade for WWs?

hammerhead357
03-11-2008, 12:16 AM
VillageIdjit from your discription what you saw was linotype. I don't think they are 3 feet long, mine are about 18 inches but with the sloted end it sounds like old linotype pigs or ingots. At least that was possiblly the mould that was used. Now as to the alloy, who knows? I use my old linotype ingot moulds to cast severeal different alloys and mark each one of them as to what they are.....Wes

blysmelter
03-11-2008, 06:50 AM
Just out of curiosity . ..what are those bars for typically? (and more importantly . .where do you find them? :) )

Ships fixed ballast and ballast for ROVs is the most common use here in Europe. And of course just as way of storing rawmaterials.