PDA

View Full Version : Them boys ain't raiht (Reaper team elk hunting)

ohland
02-10-2015, 08:30 PM
Old retrobate was watching that outdoor fantasy stuff again. Having grown up hunting over the weekends up north in Wisconsin, there is NO desire to sleep under the stars. The reaper team was out looking for elk, and just had to rappel down a face to cut off a few hours of walking. Great. Get way in and THEN rappel. Gravity is an uncompromising mistress, I say.

Nothing that gets my bravado up.

Themoose
02-10-2015, 08:32 PM
I just saw that show.. was the first time I've seen the series.. not for me.. I did have one question, how do they get their ropes back after rappelling without climbing back to the top? In the states I hunt it is also illegal to use communications gear to hunt animals.. may not be so in SD

ohland
02-10-2015, 09:06 PM
I did have one question, how do they get their ropes back after rappelling without climbing back to the top? In the states I hunt it is also illegal to use communications gear to hunt animals.. may not be so in SD

First, though the memories are from over 30 years ago, I suppose you could run a loop around a tree. Not my cup o tea.

As to using commo gear, in Wisconsin you can use it to transmit game location, but you CANNOT use it to call someone over to pick up / tag game. For example of what is NOT allowed, a group would be driving a woods, one of the standers has a buck tag. A driver bags a buck, calls the stander with an unused tag, and waa-laa, technology is grand...

///----------------------------------
Hunters may not use cellular phones, special free radio communications, or other mechanical or electronic amplifying devices (except hearing aids) to get someone to tag a deer. It is legal to use electronic devices for reasons other than getting someone to tag a deer
//---------------------------------------

Young hunters must be within sight of their mentor during the youth deer hunting season....

//---------------------------
Youth hunters must be accompanied* by an adult parent or guardian even if the youth is 14 or 15 years old and holds a Hunter Education Certificate. One adult may not accompany more than two youth hunters at the same time.
*Accompanied means within visual and voice contact without the aid of any mechanical or electronic amplifying device other than a hearing aid.
//-------------------------------------

To those reading this, please check your state's regs if you are unsure...

10x
02-10-2015, 11:09 PM
So how do they rappel back up the cliff with an elk quarter on their back????

Bored1
02-10-2015, 11:27 PM
So how do they rappel back up the cliff with an elk quarter on their back????

I wouldn't retrieve the rope. Would walk out the same way I came in, leaving the rope to use for the ascent back up. Tie all the gear to the end of the rope before climbing, then hoist the rope back up. 300lb up a cliff by rope sounds better than a 4 mile hike carrying 300lbs.

This looks like a heck of a way to get it done!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PKEtAM0qZTE

waksupi
02-11-2015, 03:16 AM
Some elk, that would be the only way to get them. Years ago, I was told about a huge bull living in a basin down by Thompson Falls. That is extremely rugged country. I did go to the rim, and after a couple days glassing saw him. They were right, he was one big sumbitch. I made a circuit of the canyon, probably three miles. Absolutely no safe way to get into it, and get an elk (or myself!) back out without injury.
A couple years later, I was in Bruce Babcock's taxidermy shop, and he had a full body elk with a set of 8X9 antlers. I asked him where it was killed, and he said, it wasn't. Someone had gone into that canyon, and brought out the dropped antlers, and he had mounted them to a full size mount. Impressive, to say the least.

starmac
02-11-2015, 03:53 PM
I have passed up shots at more than one elk on account of the work it would take to pack it out. I did use ropes to pull a mule deer up a small cliff ONCE. The cliff multiplied in height several times before I was done.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
02-12-2015, 02:14 PM
First, though the memories are from over 30 years ago, I suppose you could run a loop around a tree. Not my cup o tea.

As to using commo gear, in Wisconsin you can use it to transmit game location, but you CANNOT use it to call someone over to pick up / tag game. For example of what is NOT allowed, a group would be driving a woods, one of the standers has a buck tag. A driver bags a buck, calls the stander with an unused tag, and waa-laa, technology is grand...

///----------------------------------
Hunters may not use cellular phones, special free radio communications, or other mechanical or electronic amplifying devices (except hearing aids) to get someone to tag a deer. It is legal to use electronic devices for reasons other than getting someone to tag a deer
//---------------------------------------

there is code for that , hey man I shot one I think I hit it good but I could use your help with the blood trail

ohland
02-12-2015, 04:33 PM
there is code for that , hey man I shot one I think I hit it good but I could use your help with the blood trail

I suppose that could be done. So far the DNR can't get me for anything, because I've not shot a deer in over ten years. Not really setting the woods on fire...

quilbilly
02-12-2015, 06:36 PM
I have passed up shots at more than one elk on account of the work it would take to pack it out. I did use ropes to pull a mule deer up a small cliff ONCE. The cliff multiplied in height several times before I was done.me too!!

winchester85
02-12-2015, 09:27 PM
most of those shows are all staged drama. can't take much of any of them anymore.

C. Latch
02-12-2015, 09:31 PM
I don't watch hunting shows but I have been wanting to try rappelling. I have everything but the actual rope. Having said that, I'm pretty sure I want to keep my hunting and my rappelling separate.

ohland
02-12-2015, 10:00 PM
wanting to try rappelling

I recommend buying a rappel harness. Having used a six foot length of rope to form the (extremely uncomfortable) "Swiss Seat", the harness enables you to concentrate on the face instead of the pain.

Good gloves are a must. Good hiking boots are nice.

Get someone who is qualified to tie you off. Sure helps focus on the face.

Take care of your ropes. Do not drag them in sand if you can help it. Get one of those velcro rope collars to keep the rope from abrading. Never had a problem, but you take good care of your rope, it will last longer. Take your time in coiling the rope, pay attention to the lay.

Pay strict attention to how the carabiner is snapped onto the harness. One way is prone to difficulties in opening if it is under tension. Either the snap link or threaded collar closure types are good. Don't buy the cheap Ace Hardware anodized D-Links ;-)

Rappelling in conjunction with climbing is good as well. It isn't all one way....

Leave the prusik knot ascenders to the tacticool folks. Buy some good ascenders for that.

Develop good technique, don't rush. Hanging upside down is a sign you need to watch your style better.

C. Latch
02-12-2015, 10:36 PM
I'll remember that last part for sure.

I did buy a harness and good equipment - I just don't have a rope yet. A neighbor has offered to take me once he gets a new rope (his old rope is ready to retire). I live in the hill-and-bluff capital of the world, or so it seems. Figured I'd learn something new while I lived here for the next couple of years. Caves and cliffs everywhere.

TXGunNut
02-13-2015, 12:22 AM
I shot a really big boar hog at the edge of one end of the Caprock Canyons in the TX Panhandle once. Of course, he dropped in his tracks but managed to slide several feet off the edge of a little 20+ ft drop into a small box canyon. I dressed the boar at the bottom of the little canyon while my guide went after the come-along and rope in my truck back at his house. A group of hogs came a-calling while I was waiting and a rappelling rig would have been nice as my rifle was topside and I had no extra ammo for my RBH. My hands were bloody and my RBH is almost pristine so I did what any self-respecting redneck would do-I started grabbing rocks and drove those porkers back with a rain of rocks unseen since the last volcanic era.
Slept in a cabin that trip, have done the "under the stars" gig on occasion but not lately. It's not my favorite way to get a good night's sleep.

C. Latch
02-13-2015, 08:08 AM
I've stretched out under the stars but I'd be lying to say I 'slept' much. Not my thing.