PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for your time

Bad Water Bill
02-10-2015, 03:19 PM
A young man learns what's most important in life from the guy next door.
Over the phone, his mother told him, "Mr. Belser died last night.
The funeral is Wednesday.
Memories flashed through his mind like an old newsreel as he sat quietly remembering his childhood days.
Jack, did you hear me?"
Oh, sorry, Mom. Yes, I heard you. It's been so long since I thought of him.
I'm sorry, but I honestly thought he died years ago, Jack said.
Well, he didn't forget you.
Every time I saw him he'd ask how you were doing. He'd reminisce about the many days you spent over 'his side of the fence' as he put it," Mom told him.
I loved that old house he lived in," Jack said.
You know, Jack, after your father died, Mr.Belser stepped in to make sure you had a man's influence in your life," she said
He's the one who taught me carpentry," he said.
I wouldn't be in this business if it weren't for him.
He spent a lot of time teaching me things he thought were important.
Mom, I'll be there for the funeral,Jack said.
As busy as he was, he kept his word. Jack caught the next flight to his hometown.
Mr. Belser's funeral was small and uneventful. He had no children of his own, and most of his relatives had passed away.
The night before he had to return home, Jack and his Mom stopped by to see the old house next door one more time.
Standing in the doorway, Jack paused for a moment.
It was like crossing over into another dimension, a leap through space and time The house was exactly as he remembered.
Every step held memories.
Every picture, every piece of furniture.
Jack stopped suddenly...
What's wrong, Jack his Mom asked.
The box is gone," he said
What box his Mom asked.
There was a small gold box that he kept locked on top of his desk.
I must have asked him a thousand times what was inside.
All he'd ever tell me was the thing I value most, Jack said.
It was gone.
Everything about the house was exactly how Jack remembered it, except for the box.
He figured someone from the Belser family had taken it.
Now I'll never know what was so valuable to him," Jack said.
I better get some sleep. I have an early flight home, Mom.
It had been about two weeks since Mr. Belser died
Returning home from work one day Jack discovered a note in his mailbox .
Signature required on a package.
No one at home Please stop by the main post office within the next three days, the note read.
Early the next day Jack retrieved the package.
The small box was old and looked like it had been mailed a hundred years ago.
The handwriting was difficult to read, but the return address caught his attention.
Mr.Harold Belser" it read. Jack took the box out to his car and ripped open the package.
There inside was the gold box and an envelope. Jack's hands shook as he read the note inside.
Upon my death, please forward this box and its contents to Jack Bennett.
It's the thing I valued most in my life.
A small key was taped to the letter.
His heart racing, as tears filling his eyes, Jack carefully unlocked the box.
There inside he found a beautiful gold pocket watch.
Running his fingers slowly over the finely etched casing, he unlatched the cover.
Inside he found these words engraved:
Jack, Thanks for your time! -Harold Belser.
>
The thing he valued most was my time.
Jack held the watch for a few minutes, then called his office and cleared his appointments for the next two days.
Why Janet, his assistant asked.
I need some time to spend with my son," he said.
Oh,by the way, Janet, thanks for your time!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away,"
Think about this. You may not realize it, but it's 100% true.

ballistim
02-10-2015, 04:20 PM
Great story Bill, I thought of some of the older men in my life that I learned from in the past, kind of like "Old Man and the Boy" and I hope that some young men I've helped along the way will feel that way about me someday.

Bad Water Bill
02-10-2015, 04:31 PM
As I copied and edited that story I stopped more than once to reach for my bandana and only wished I could say THANK YOU to the many folks that have helped me over my lifetime.

Fergie
02-10-2015, 05:27 PM
My one regret about my Dad passing was not being able to take him out shooting again.

My best friend as a grew older, but always a parent and Father. I moved back to my home town to take care of him while he was sick and dying, and to make sure my mom was ok with all she was doing for him. My daughter got to spend four good years with him and my son had two.

I hope they always cherish that time.

w5pv
02-10-2015, 05:35 PM
Alot of my friends really don't understand why I pretty welll drop everything for my grandson's time with me.

smokeywolf
02-10-2015, 05:40 PM
Bill, we try to get the message across to the youngsters we care about, to learn from the elder generations. You've reminded me of a lesson forgotten. Seems as old fa&rts, not only do we have things to teach the younger generations, we can still teach each other.

Well done! And, thanks for the reminder.

smokeywolf

btroj
02-10-2015, 05:42 PM
Don't just remember those who gave you their time, think of those who need yours.

country gent
02-10-2015, 05:56 PM
I remeber the two old gentleman in the first job shop I worked in. The owner and Eddie were the only 2 running the shop. I hired in at the age of 15 to sweep and clean That didnt last long as I showed an intrest in learning. It wasnt long I was setting up the lathes mills and the one old press we had. Both were more than happy to help me and teach me the old ways of machining . In the 3 years I worked there I learned more than any job after. When I left Bob wouldnt ttake the shop key back. When he came down with cancer and couldnt weld any more I would stop in aftermy 2nnd shift job twice a week and catch up any welding that was there. I stoped one afternoon to buy a piece of stock and he wouldnt accept any money saying some mouse had been doing all his welding. LOL These old gentleman took a chance on a young kid and taught him all they could. I learned alot from them not just machining but also more important How to better others.

smokeywolf
02-10-2015, 06:09 PM
I remeber the two old gentleman in the first job shop I worked in. The owner and Eddie were the only 2 running the shop. I hired in at the age of 15 to sweep and clean That didnt last long as I showed an intrest in learning. It wasnt long I was setting up the lathes mills and the one old press we had. Both were more than happy to help me and teach me the old ways of machining . In the 3 years I worked there I learned more than any job after. When I left Bob wouldnt ttake the shop key back. When he came down with cancer and couldnt weld any more I would stop in aftermy 2nnd shift job twice a week and catch up any welding that was there. I stoped one afternoon to buy a piece of stock and he wouldnt accept any money saying some mouse had been doing all his welding. LOL These old gentleman took a chance on a young kid and taught him all they could. I learned alot from them not just machining but also more important How to better others.

I also learned machining, as one old mentor put it, "on antique machines, from antique machinists).

Am I just seeing and remembering things from an old man's point of view or are we truly not seeing as much of this kind of nurturing and mentoring anymore?

smokeywolf

histed
02-10-2015, 08:11 PM
Its there, smokeywolf. Unfortunately, in the main stream culture of today, its less common and far less noticed, but it IS there. I can see it and hear it everyday in the high school where I teach.

MaryB
02-10-2015, 08:24 PM
I see it in the rural area where I live. I suspect big city culture lacks a lot of it. I grew up poor and spent a lot of time helping many of the neighbors. Every one taught me something, the most important being self reliant and learning to do many things. I ended up repairing electronics but I also dabble in many things that have helped me restore this old house I live in.I learned plumbing from a neighbor who did it for a living, helped her out now and then when she needed an extra hand carrying stuff, holding stuff etc. Same for carpentry from my dad, and electrical from dad and my own curiosity at a young age(ham license at 14, drove dad nuts with wires hanging in the trees).

smokeywolf
02-10-2015, 08:24 PM
histed, if the forum your on and the words you just wrote are an indication of the person you are, it is reassuring to know that there are still teachers with your interests and concerns.

smokeywolf

smoked turkey
02-10-2015, 09:09 PM
Bill thanks for posting that story. After reading it over slowly it put me to thinking of those who mentored me and some of the "kids" that always were hanging around. I sure hope that something I did or said will impact them like the man in the story. One man that came to mind that helped me along was our ball coach on a many Saturdays. After our game he would take us to the store and get us a "pop". I know that he was a busy man and let a lot of things go in order to give us boys his time. He had more of an impact on us boys than he knew. Now if that lump in my throat would just go away.

country gent
02-10-2015, 09:26 PM
I always watched the old retired gentleman next door to that shop where we worked Bill rebuilt bycycles and resold them to locals to supplement his income. I did some work for him occasionally at the shop "on my own time" to help him out. Keep in mind this was a small town in a farming community and there were a few families with out income for alot of extras. Many times I seen him take a youngster under his wing and with a frame and spare parts guide him thru building his own bycicle from start to finish. At times he would have 2 or 3 youngsters showing up after school to work on their bikes. Between building thier own bikes and the very few chores he gave them to do for the parts he supplied it was something to see. He would have them sanding the frames and forks down for new paint, age regulated what they did and the chores they got assighned. That little shop was always a hub of activity. Those kids learned alot and had a ball. When I knew him he was in his 80s and going strong. One thing that I always found interesting was those kids who built thier own bikes and chores always came vy to visit him and the bikes were almost always taken care of. An old gentleman in bib overhalls that shared his knowledge and love of life and skills.