PDA

View Full Version : Carnuba??

Gussy
02-29-2008, 02:27 PM
I am about to make a new batch of lube for black powder loads. I do have about a pound of carnuba flakes. What, if any, amount should I add percentage wise?? What would be the benefit of using it??

I went over the searched posts but still question any benefit. I read the Johnson paste wax threads. Seems to leave a bright shinny bore with smokeless. You will never see a bright shinny bore after a holy black round is fired!! But... in small amounts it may make it easier to clean.

At what point will carnuba fill the pores of the steel and really cause problems with corrosion getting started under it? This is in some posts I read a long time back (at least a year ago(:>)). This was in a lot of posts about using "bore butter" seasoning the bore or actually filling the pores and allowing corrosion to get a start.

Well?????????
Gus

4060MAY
02-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Used BW, Neats Foot oil, Lanolin for years, 50/40/10
Paul changed the formula and added Murphy's oil soap
SPG never seemed to work for me, altho most other guys swore by it, bore butter is suppose to be mineral oil and parafin.

tried the formula with assembly oil ala D. Theodore. Kinda OK
ended up with soy wax, sheep tallow, Mobil 1 motor oil, sodium stearate, and BW as needed, plus the D.T. assembly oil batch

I never wrote down the portions adjusting till it worked, ended up with about 4 pounds, should be enough for awhile.

I started wiping between shots with water and water soluble oil 90/10
wet first, almost dry second.

I am Shooting a bullet that is similar to D. T. design for the .40cal w/one GG, mine is .38cal W/two GG equal to Dan's one. very shallow. secret is bullet fit, we cut the mold to fit the reamer I chambered the gun with. pic's ? or look on the Shilo forum under Dan Theodore, Bullet designs.

this is for the Humid/Eastern US West might need something different

HTH

leftiye
02-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Gussy, Carnauba does coat the bore. Even with smokeless, there are concerns with using too much - coating may envelope solids or abrasives and become hard fouling. If you use it in black powder situations you need to watch how it affects the fouling hardness. Even with smokeless, it looks like very clean bore situations is where it really shines (literally, it keeps a bore squeaky shiny clean) - it's a good question how or if it will work in the black powder fouling mess.

4060MAY
02-29-2008, 08:07 PM
oops
assumed you were going to shoot Black

jerrold
02-29-2008, 08:38 PM
KISS

bw/lanolin/ crisco
Work out the ratios or look it up.

Gussy
02-29-2008, 08:51 PM
KISS

bw/lanolin/ crisco
Work out the ratios or look it up.

That is pretty much what I've been using. Since I have the Carnuba, I was thinking of trying a pinch or two to see if it improves it. I shoot in very hot, dry conditions in the summer (85-105 and 10% humidity at times) and any improvement would be good.
Gus