PDA

View Full Version : Would you do it?

GunnyJohn
02-09-2015, 10:23 PM
I have a sporterized 30 40 Krag, and have been offered a BLR in 308 win straight across trade. I don't shoot the Krag much yet. I've been waiting for things to slow down for some boolit load development. The BLR is in pretty nice shape, he's asking $475.00 for it. Whatcha think?

labradigger1
02-09-2015, 10:38 PM
Blr's are nice guns. I would trade if it were me

6mm win lee
02-09-2015, 10:55 PM
I'd pay cash for the BLR and keep the Krag. Then shoot the bejesus out of both of them.

MT Gianni
02-10-2015, 12:15 AM
Pre 81, flush mount mag or hanging below? My blr in 308 is a great shooter and would be the last gun to go in a bankruptcy. $475 is a steal if it has mags.

GunnyJohn
02-10-2015, 12:25 AM
MT, I don't know. I'll have to look. BLR,s aren't a rifle I know much about. I just saw it and really liked the look of it. And I've always liked .308's Around here, It seems like most look for cals that end with mag. I don't really care for the Magnums.
Pre 81, flush mount mag or hanging below? My blr in 308 is a great shooter and would be the last gun to go in a bankruptcy. $475 is a steal if it has mags.

knifemaker
02-10-2015, 01:06 AM
Take a look at GunBroker and GunsAmerica and do a price comparsion on both guns. I think you will find that the BLR is worth more money then your 30-40 krag. If you trade, do a good examination of the BLR to check for proper function and check the bore to make sure it is in good shape.

smoked turkey
02-10-2015, 01:30 AM
Tough decision. I sure like my sporterized Krag. On the other hand the BLR is nice too.....You are probably the only one who can make your decision. I am with 6mm win lee. Keep the Krag and buy the BLR. You will regret getting rid of the Krag at some time in the future.

Scharfschuetze
02-10-2015, 02:17 AM
If your goal is to shoot cast boolits well, then the Krag is your platform of choice assuming that its bore is reasonably preserved.

On the other hand, my Dad had one of the first BLRs back about 1968 or so. It was accurate enough and certainly much smoother than a Model 94, not to mention way more powerful in its 308 chambering. If full power loads for hunting are on your agenda, then perhaps the BLR is the best option as its strong and can handle spitzer bullets as well as any bolt rifle.

I'm sure that by now, there have been more than a few BLRs made, but I rarely see them at gun shows or at the LGSs while I still see a fair number of sporterised Krags if that makes any difference.

BruceB
02-10-2015, 04:35 AM
I'm an older gent, but even so..... I would DEFINITELY keep the Krag. The .30-40 is pretty-much the equal of a .308, and the quality of manufacture of a Krag is far superior to that of the BLR.. Also, they're not making any more Krags.

Besides, the BLR looks (to me, at least) like it was beaten almost to death with an "ugly stick", and life is too short to mess with UGLY rifles.

So.... a vote for the Krag.

rhbrink
02-10-2015, 07:42 AM
I'm an older gent, but even so..... I would DEFINITELY keep the Krag. The .30-40 is pretty-much the equal of a .308, and the quality of manufacture of a Krag is far superior to that of the BLR.. Also, they're not making any more Krags.

Besides, the BLR looks (to me, at least) like it was beaten almost to death with an "ugly stick", and life is too short to mess with UGLY rifles.

+ 1, Yep I agree with BruceB

RB

Dan Cash
02-10-2015, 09:32 AM
Here is another vote for keeping the Krag. Performance wise, it will do anything and more than the .308. The BLR is heavy for a .308, poorly balanced and has a mile long lever throw. Unless your Krag is really cobbled up, you have more rifle in it than in the BLR.

Speedo66
02-10-2015, 01:19 PM
I happen to enjoy the looks of the BLR, and it's extremely well made, like most Browning products. In .308 it weighs in at about 6 1/2 lbs., wouldn't want a .308 any lighter than that. One of the nicest, lightest, shortest woods rifles out there that can also reach out and touch if necessary.

If you can swing it, buy the BLR outright. Otherwise, trade off the altered Krag.

Rick Hodges
02-10-2015, 01:47 PM
I would take the BLR

clum553946
02-10-2015, 02:49 PM
I'd pay cash for the BLR and keep the Krag. Then shoot the bejesus out of both of them.

What 6mm said! The price on the BLR is more than fair!

rintinglen
02-10-2015, 07:49 PM
I would take the BLR if I couldn't have both. Sporterized Krags are not rare, and not valuable. BLR's are good guns and worth the money.

Shuz
02-10-2015, 08:58 PM
If the BLR is a pre -81, the magazines are downright spendy. They go for from $200 to $250, just for the "little black box" that holds the cartridges! The pre -81's are characterized by the magazine protruding about 1/2" or so below the stock.

Geobru
02-11-2015, 01:52 AM
Here is another vote for keeping the Krag. Performance wise, it will do anything and more than the .308. The BLR is heavy for a .308, poorly balanced and has a mile long lever throw. Unless your Krag is really cobbled up, you have more rifle in it than in the BLR.

The BLR in 308 has a short throw lever. Maybe the longer cartridges like 30-06 have a longer throw, I don't know. My BLR shoots 1/2 inch groups at 125 yards on a good day. I'd go with the BLR if it was me.

OverMax
02-11-2015, 10:21 AM
Your thinking of trading a old 70-100 yr/ plus_ battle field weapon that was sporterized for a much newer sporting weapon. Well sir. If that Browning BLR came with 2 or 3 mags and was well taken care of. I'd trade the old Krag in a heart beat!! That's my Opinion and I'm stick'en to it!!

Bazoo
02-12-2015, 11:48 PM
Id keep the krag. A rifle with history is worth more than any modern produced rifle. Think of all the times someones grandpa or dad hunted mule deer or black bear with that krag.

TXGunNut
02-13-2015, 01:10 AM

+2
You had good reasons for buying that Krag and haven't had a chance to play with it. I know BLR's are fine guns but a little too shiny for me. The possibility of boring it out to .358 gets me a little excited, tho.
Hmmm...you posted this on Leverguns, are you trying to get us to talk you into this trade?

tdoyka
02-13-2015, 02:08 AM

my grandpa gave me his sporterized krag, right now i'm begin to run cast boolits through it. i have a 308 in the 760, i never really cared for it. the krag tho, i spent 20 years thinkin about it..hold on to her

vote for the krag

Camba
02-13-2015, 02:57 PM
I wish I would have that dilemma. I would buy the BLR since the price was already given.
Camba

45-70 Chevroner
02-13-2015, 03:57 PM
I vote with Bruce, keep the Krag. You will regret treading it. I think the guy that has the BLR is frothing at the mouth to get your Krag.