PDA

View Full Version : steel case 223

swamp
02-09-2015, 01:11 AM
Does anyone know of a rifle that will work with the lacquered steel case ammo? Have not tried in an AR platform yet. Sticks in the bolt and single shots.

Maybe polish the chambers? Need some help with this.

Thanks in advance.
swamp

Artful
02-09-2015, 01:27 AM
worked fine in a couple of my rifles (ruger #3 single shot, Mini-14, XM177E AR shorty)

Yes cleaning and polishing the chamber may help. Can you give more particulars on your problem?

swamp
02-09-2015, 03:53 AM
The guns. Ruger #3, H&R Handi, Savage bolt. Have to punch out the case after every shot. The empty case will not extract. Very frustrating. Like the lacquer is softening and sticking to the chamber.

NC_JEFF
02-09-2015, 07:47 AM
I tried a magazine full thru my Bushmaster AR. First round down the barell jammed the bolt. A few hours of Kroil soaking and a wooden dowel and hammer all was fine. I gave the other 19 plus two other boxes I ad to my stepson for his single shot 223, his eats em just fine. Fine steel particles can get into or under the bolt key in an AR from those Russian bullets and prevent the key from clearing the bolt lugs. The coating on the steel can gum up the bolt as well. I had a stoppage on the very first one I tried and I think I'll stick to brass cases from now on. Again my stepsons single shot eats em just fine so far.

JD

Screwbolts
02-09-2015, 08:03 AM
Here ya go, a test has been done, weapons fired till to hot to touch and Magpul sights melted off: http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

I would not hesitate to shoot any of the steel stuff, I have had up to 7 reloads from steel cases also. Resisized with Lanolin/HEET lube, LEE dies, easy as butter.

Anytime you can get more trigger time is good time!

Ken

lka
02-09-2015, 08:43 AM
Works in my mini-14 and other normal ars but my ruger sr556 that's piston driven (ar) will not shoot them, they get stuck and its a pain in the butt to clear the case. I still have a pile of wolf someone gave me I need to take the mini out and run through them..

twc1964
02-09-2015, 09:04 AM
My s&w ar eats steel just fine. Havent ever had a prob. Ive heard from a friend that heat in the chamber can cause lacquer to gum up the works, but since yours was on the first round, id say rough chamber.

captaint
02-09-2015, 09:27 AM
I bought a box of that stuff years ago and it worked fine. I never bought more. I wouldn't change anything about my AR for the purpose of using cheap ammo. That's just me.

lka
02-09-2015, 10:07 AM
Here ya go, a test has been done, weapons fired till to hot to touch and Magpul sights melted off: http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

I would not hesitate to shoot any of the steel stuff, I have had up to 7 reloads from steel cases also. Resisized with Lanolin/HEET lube, LEE dies, easy as butter.

Ken

Good read, thanks.

altheating
02-09-2015, 10:38 AM
I knew Screwbolts would chime in on this one. One thing I would add, When I used some steel cases I dumped them on a towel and gave them a light mist of mineral spirits and rolled them in the towel to disperse the mineral spirits and clean off the loose lacquer. Small base sizing dies may also help If reloading the steel cases. If I get to the range during the summer months an I find steel cases lying around and they are not rusted I pick em up and use them. The mineral spirits works well to keep them from rusting prior to reloading too.

GabbyM
02-09-2015, 10:45 AM
Read some test a couple years ago. Results were Russian steel ammo cut barrel life in half. Rifles with chrome lines bores fared somewhat better. Equalizer was this. With a barrel cost of around $200. Compared to shooting ammo costing more. You figure the math but whatever the going price is on Wolf vs LC M193. Was still cheaper to shoot junk then buy a new barrel twice as often. With the price of USA made ball ammo down. I'd guess that math does not work right now. I just reload. It is a lot of work but does not cut into my TV time so much I can't handle it.

LC Press
02-09-2015, 10:45 AM
I have used a good amount of steel in the past and nary the problem through 9 different rifles.

Thankfully I reload now and don't use it anymore as its accuracy was subpar.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
02-09-2015, 11:17 AM

Ken

I read that also , and steel cases resulted in only about 1 per thousand rounds fired, failure to eject , but the copper washed steel jacketed bullets caused barrel life to be used up in less than half the life of a barrel that only fired copper jacketed 223

swamp
02-09-2015, 12:40 PM
Thanks to everyone for the info.swamp

Janoosh
02-10-2015, 09:38 PM
+1Screwbolts. I use a Baikal o/u 223/12ga with Wolf steel reloads. Lee dies to prep cases, no problem with extraction and still accurate.

swamp
02-10-2015, 10:22 PM
Gave them another try today. Worked fine in the ARs. Just a few stuck in the others. Giving the chambers a good cleaning with a peice of scotchbrite seemed to help.
swamp

Artful
02-11-2015, 02:01 AM
"Flitz" on a mop with a electric drill - smooooth chamber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cHDt5Bd5rg

leadman
02-11-2015, 02:29 AM
Are you shooting 223 or 5.56 ammo? The 5.56 runs at a higher pressure than 223 and also the chambers are cut slightly different for each.

swamp
02-11-2015, 02:57 AM
The ammo is Wolf and Tula 5.56. ( I am aware of the differance between them, thanks)
The 223 chambers might be on the tight side of specs. Polishing helped.

tomme boy
02-11-2015, 02:39 PM
The lacquer on the ammo is a myth. The problem is the steel case does not has the elasticity of brass. It doe not contract like brass so it swells up to the chamber and it is stuck. Carbon will also make this worse.

Dhammer
02-11-2015, 02:45 PM
Also 5.56 is not meant to be fired in a 223 chamber. Years ago many makers were cutting chambers as 223 but marking 5.56 in AR platforms. Lots of those supposed it was the ammo makers fault actually had to deal with the chambers being cut for 223.
It was to point certain AR's weren't allowed for Leo AR carbine courses in my neck of woods and all were checked to see what chamber actually was before start of class and that ammo brought was okay to use.

MtGun44
02-11-2015, 02:53 PM
In testing, the Russian steel case ammo made a smoothbore out of a rifled barrel in
4000 rds while another given identical treatment firing Lake City mil spec ammo was
shooting the same accy at 10,000 rds as at 1,000 rds.

Depends entirely on how fast you want to consume your barrel.

Bill

MtGun44
02-11-2015, 02:54 PM
In testing, the Russian steel case ammo made a smoothbore end to end out of a rifled barrel in
4000 rds while another given identical treatment firing Lake City mil spec ammo was

Bill

Comrade Mike
02-11-2015, 03:16 PM
In testing, the Russian steel case ammo made a smoothbore end to end out of a rifled barrel in

Bill

Redacted. Found a credible source supporting this. Learned something today!