PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable. It happened again.

CLP
02-08-2015, 01:57 PM
Some of you may have read a recent thread about an off-set casting issue I was having : "Weird off set sizing issue (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?267598-Weird-off-set-sizing-issue)"

So I had a couple of hundred RCBS 45-230-RN to size so I tooled up the Lubrisizer with the proper top punch and a .452 sizing die. The only other difference was I changed the lube to Lyman's Alox.

I started sizing. Everything was going very smoothly. About every ten bullets, give or take a few, I'd crank the lube handle about 1/8 of a turn. It'd only take the pressure from pushing it with a couple of fingers. In other words, I don't have that thing cranked down on the lube stick with excessive pressure.

I got through about a hundred little 230RN bullets- I haven't actually weighed them incidentally, I have one set aside for that purpose but I was intent on ensuring my Lubrisizer was working so I haven't pulled down my scales- and after about a hundred bullets I noticed a bare metal-on-metal quality to the down stroke when sizing. The first time it was subtle. I sized a couple of more to see if I could locate the source. Then it became very noticeable and made sizing very difficult on the fourth attempt.

On the thread above, there were two likely explanations for what was going on. Wrong top punch or crud in the die. I ruled out the top punch being the issue and now realize it's not likely that any crud is going to get into a die and cause gouges that deep (deeper than the space available between the inside of the die and the die insert).

So this must mean it's a problem with the press, right? The sizing dies are seated properly and the lock nut isn't over-tightened. I checked for any kind of burrs or tooling defects that the die insert might be rubbing against but don't feel or see anything in there. I think I'm going to have to send the Lubrisizer back to RCBS as much as I'm going to hate to be without it. But I'm not going to ruin yet another sizing die to a problem I can't identify. Just an FYI, but I've used the press about six times, twice for 44cal Devastators, once for a 44cal Keith style swc, once for 38 cal Keith style 158gr swc, and twice for the 45-230 RN. I didn't have any problems the first three times I used it. However, the first three times I used it I was just tinkering and experimenting and didn't size more than 75 bullets at a time. I'm all out of ideas as to what may be going on here.

Attached is a picture of my 452 sizing die with the insert rod all but pulled out to show the gouges/scratches.

Note: Thread also posted on THR129949129950

Tatume
02-08-2015, 02:20 PM
Make sure you send the damaged dies back to RCBS with the press. I'd be surprised if they don't replace them too.

Walter Laich
02-08-2015, 03:35 PM
Let us know what the results are--most of us are too old to make all of the mistakes ourselves any more.

good luck with it

country gent
02-08-2015, 04:21 PM
While it may not have been any dirt or crud in there a to snug fit with little or to light of a lube can cause this. A light interferece fit leaves no room for lubes literally wiping it of or pushing it away. Once the gaulding starts it continues as the raised metals are even tighter and rubbing harder. Send it back and see what is saud

Calamity Jake
02-08-2015, 04:43 PM
I don't think it is the press, it's the die, there is something inside that is scratching the pin,
a burr maybe, I would polish the die and pin and try again before sending it back.

waksupi
02-08-2015, 04:45 PM
I would suspect press alignment. It would be interesting to know the Rockwell of both parts. If the same, they will gall.

Dan Cash
02-08-2015, 07:34 PM
Chinese steel. The rice grains are working out of the metal.