PDA

View Full Version : Fair Value? 38/357 158gn SWC X1000?

FishnShoot
02-08-2015, 12:54 AM
** sorry.. I think this belongs here, please delete if not right forum location **

Friend has a package of these he offered to me. He has no idea what they cost,
and I do not either.

I've done some reading and understand these are great bullets to load.

I want to give him a fair price. He says the whole thing is about 24lbs.
I calculated that out to be probably a package of 1000 rounds.

About what would this be selling for now?
Much Thanks!! I'll be back later to ask you guys about load recipes! [smilie=b:

jcren
02-08-2015, 01:04 AM
Somewhere around .10 each is the going rate for good quality 158 swc's.

triggerhappy243
02-08-2015, 01:19 AM
If he did not pay anything for them, buy him lunch, and have a reloading party.

runfiverun
02-08-2015, 01:52 AM
looks just like one of my 358477 molds.
it's super accurate at target load speeds. [750-800 fps]
but can be pushed pretty hard if you want to.

I have no idea what boolits cost from a store, lead alloy is about a buck a pound cleaned and ingoted.

FishnShoot
02-08-2015, 02:00 AM
looks just like one of my 358477 molds.
it's super accurate at target load speeds. [750-800 fps]
but can be pushed pretty hard if you want to.

I have no idea what boolits cost from a store, lead alloy is about a buck a pound cleaned and ingoted.

Great! I was thinking of giving him $40-50..

Do you have any good load data for this bullet? I have Bullseye, Unique, IMR4227.

THANK YOU!

runfiverun
02-08-2015, 04:29 AM
I have used 4 grs of 231 for a long time with this boolit in the 38 case.
but 3 grs of bulls-eye would be pretty hard to beat in the same case.
unique is pretty versatile under this boolit 4-5-6 grs in either the 38 or 357 case will do pretty well.
don't be worried if your shooting the 38 cases in a 357 they will still do as well as the gun can do.
[in fact my 357's are more accurate using the 38 cases with this boolit]
use the appropriate higher 357 loads to approximate the 38 loads if those are the cases you have.

Lonegun1894
02-08-2015, 04:47 AM
Before I started casting, I used to pay $20-25 per 500 cast .358" SWCs, so I think you're in the ballpark. Loads depend on what you're trying to do, but I use 5.0grs Unique in a .38 Spl case for my Ruger Security Six, or 7.0grs Unique in a .357 Mag case for the same gun with 158gr SWCs. I don't have a .38Spl gun, so not sure those loads are safe for one of those.

FishnShoot
02-08-2015, 05:35 AM
Before I started casting, I used to pay $20-25 per 500 cast .358" SWCs, so I think you're in the ballpark. Loads depend on what you're trying to do, but I use 5.0grs Unique in a .38 Spl case for my Ruger Security Six, or 7.0grs Unique in a .357 Mag case for the same gun with 158gr SWCs. I don't have a .38Spl gun, so not sure those loads are safe for one of those.

Thank you for the info!
I'm shooting GP100, 4" :Fire:

Lonegun1894
02-08-2015, 05:55 AM
I need to pick up a 4" GP100 like yours. Never had a single problem with my Security Six, but Ruger no longer has parts to service them if anything goes wrong, and that worries me at times. I mean, my great-grandkids may need this gun repaired someday. :)

FishnShoot
02-08-2015, 06:00 AM
It has ended up being one of my favorites! http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/08/af853a3248eadd3fbe4c013a9b9df45e.jpg

jeepyj
02-08-2015, 07:33 AM
Your thoughts are correct 45ish if a fair deal for both you and your buddy. That is a very good boolit as others have mentioned. Couldn't begin to count how many of those I've shot with 5 grains of unique. It's my go to load for general plinking.
jeepyj

omphacite
02-08-2015, 08:29 PM
I need to pick up a 4" GP100 like yours. Never had a single problem with my Security Six, but Ruger no longer has parts to service them if anything goes wrong, and that worries me at times. I mean, my great-grandkids may need this gun repaired someday. :)

I read a story a few months ago on another forum about a person who had trouble with his Sercurity Six. He bought it at a gun show well used and shot it often for a few years. Eventually he realized that the lockup wasn't tight anymore and off center strikes were beginning to occur, making the revolver unsafe to shoot. He took it to a few smiths, but was unable to get a diagnosis of what was causing the cylinder to rotate. He decided to give Ruger a call and explain the situation to them. Ruger said they don't service the Security Six anymore, but they would be happy to take a look at it just to make sure. About a week after they received the gun, they called and said they wouldn't be able to fix it, but they would be able to replace it with one of their current models. The owner ended up with a new Match Champion.

I own several Rugers and plan on buying several more in the future. It's nice to see a company stand behind their products.

triggerhappy243
02-08-2015, 08:37 PM
Fishnshoot i cant make out your avatar...looks familiar.

Lonegun1894
02-09-2015, 06:40 AM
I read a story a few months ago on another forum about a person who had trouble with his Sercurity Six. He bought it at a gun show well used and shot it often for a few years. Eventually he realized that the lockup wasn't tight anymore and off center strikes were beginning to occur, making the revolver unsafe to shoot. He took it to a few smiths, but was unable to get a diagnosis of what was causing the cylinder to rotate. He decided to give Ruger a call and explain the situation to them. Ruger said they don't service the Security Six anymore, but they would be happy to take a look at it just to make sure. About a week after they received the gun, they called and said they wouldn't be able to fix it, but they would be able to replace it with one of their current models. The owner ended up with a new Match Champion.

I own several Rugers and plan on buying several more in the future. It's nice to see a company stand behind their products.

Are you suggesting I do my best to wear it out? :) If so, I've been trying for about 15 years now, and have a bit over 100K rounds through it (and bought it used so don't know how many it had through it before I got it), and see no sign of it wearing out anytime soon. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but don't want to risk being without it while it's getting repaired/replaced. And yes, Ruger is an excellent company to deal with. I have had to have a couple things fixed and they have been the best. That's why I vote for them with my wallet every chance I get, cause of the quality and the service.

10mmShooter
02-09-2015, 06:59 PM
lead is lead... $2.00 a pound is a price,