PDA

View Full Version : Building

Nomadnailer
02-07-2015, 11:32 PM
Does anyone build their own muzzleloaders

koger
02-08-2015, 12:22 AM
Yep, built several over the years, am currently building a Southern Mountain rifle, typical of the Ky/Tenn border area where I live. I will have a 42" Green Mtn. barrel, .54, 1-70 twist for roundball. The caliber is not usual for this area, but what I want. Will be all Iron furniture, thinking of making eth toe plate and top of the butt plate out of deer antler, have a huge shed that would be good for that. I have seen several original rifles produced here locally with no butt plate, or just a piece of steel, horn or antler on the toe, to protect the wood. Siler lock, actually 2, flint and percussion, Davis triggers, will make all the odds and ends iron myself. I have taken several deer, over 40 with traditional ML rifles, and 10 with inlines, 1 with a single shot pistol, 2 with a Ruger Old Army with slugs. I want to be able to say I have taken one with a flinter on my bucket list! Holler back if I can be of any help!

fast ronnie
02-08-2015, 12:52 AM
Buddy of mine is working on one right now.

johnson1942
02-08-2015, 01:03 AM
yes, right now they are all paperpatched, .45 and .50 cal 335 grain bullets through 724 grain bullets

waksupi
02-08-2015, 02:33 AM
I'm currently working on serial # 134.

509thsfs
02-08-2015, 09:18 AM
Will be starting one soon

beemer
02-08-2015, 11:25 AM
I've built 7 or 8 over the years. The first was in '78, no one to help and little info around. I guess it turned out well all things considered. Built the last one about 5 years ago while out of work after a plant shutdown. It is a .32 cal. flint with a cherry stock and a 42 in. barrel. Started with a board, a Montana barrel and Dixie Ashmore lock I bought in the late 80's. It's very plain, no butt plate , washers instead of a side plate, hand made trigger guard and one silver fish inlay. I am not an expert but the difference between the first and the last is amazing.

I hope to retire in a couple years at 65, intend to build several more. Like I said I'm no expert but I tend to lose all track of time while building a rife.

Dave

ejcrist
02-12-2015, 01:11 AM
I'm working on #2 which is a Jim Chambers Christians Spring rifle in 58. #1 was a TVM Late Lancaster in 40. I very much enjoy building/assembling even though I don't have much experience. Building for me is at least as much fun as shooting. I've been shooting most everything all my life but settled on muzzleloading rifles (flintlocks) and handguns (SA revolvers) as my favorite pursuits. The most satisfying thing I've ever done was build, hunting with, and shoot muzzleloaders with prb's and black powder.

Nomadnailer
02-12-2015, 11:19 PM
I would love to see pictures my next hobby is going to be building flintlock rifles. I need some reference material

fouronesix
02-13-2015, 11:15 AM
I would love to see pictures my next hobby is going to be building flintlock rifles. I need some reference material

Many books/references available. Also google search "Kentucky rifle images" or whatever type rifle you want for pictures.

Basic skill level and experience will determine what should be attempted. If you've never done one before, I'd suggest one in kit form with most of the wood inletting already done and all the parts included.

Several companies offer such kits and/or parts. You can google search "muzzleloader kits" The most basic come from existing Italian companies making traditional rifles- who offer those in either finished or kit form. Others sources would include: Track of the Wolf, The Possibles Shop, TVM, etc.

fouronesix
02-13-2015, 11:16 AM

Many books/references available. Also google search "Kentucky rifle images" or whatever type rifle you want for pictures.

Basic skill level and experience will determine what should be attempted. If you've never done one before, I'd suggest one in kit form with most of the wood inletting already done and all the parts included.

Several companies offer such kits and/or parts. You can google search "muzzleloader kits" The most basic come from existing Italian companies making traditional rifles- who offer those in either finished or kit form. Others sources would include: Track of the Wolf, The Possible Shop, TVM, etc.