PDA

View Full Version : Should I full-length resize - or not resize at all?

Wardo1974
02-07-2015, 02:13 PM
I have been reading about this topic a lot recently and I am at a loss for what direction to take.

I will be shooting pure lead bullits from my 1894 .38-55, and for my 1886 .45-70.

I have concerns that a resized case is going to squish my boolits as I seat them.

I would be using cases already fired from my rifle, so chamber fitment is not an issue.

My idea is to use a universal decapping die on my already-fired cases, seat the boolits, and crimp in the groove.

These are both leverguns with lots of ammo in the tube - am I going to experience bullet setback if I do this?

Or should I just say the heck with it and full length resize my cases?

Guesser
02-07-2015, 02:22 PM
You need to try it both ways. I neck size only for my single shot 45-70 and 43 Spanish but my lever gun 38-55 needs full length for ease of chambering. Just my guns, as all guns are different you need to make that decision based on your trials.

44man
02-07-2015, 02:38 PM
Fine for single shots but you will at least need some crimp in a lever gun. I would toughen with some tin. As long as fired brass will rechamber you can shoot single shot instead of stuffing the tube. If you extract a round, you might leave a boolit in the gun.

Tatume
02-07-2015, 02:51 PM
Your first action should be to full-length resize your cases, load and shoot for accuracy. If the accuracy is good, you don't need to take elaborate measures. Simple is always better if it works.

country gent
02-07-2015, 02:53 PM
Nothing says you have to do a full full length resizing with the die. Play around with it start with the full lemgth die set so it just snug on the case with the ram raised on your press. This is not doing any sizing what so ever just touching the case good. Lower die 1/2 -1 turn and size case check case mouth for bullet fit, keep doing this till you get the fit you want and lock lock ring for this setting. ( if you want interfrence fit then you need to measure case mouth with inside jaws of calipers or pin gages) This will only partially resize the cases body and leave it to fit better. ( once you have the die set measure the shell holder to die dimension and a washer can be made to this thickness, allowing die to be set for full length sizing then add washer and your at your desired partial sizing). Another way is to invest in a bushing size die and just neck size with the desired bushing dia in the dies.

montana_charlie
02-07-2015, 02:58 PM
I have concerns that a resized case is going to squish my boolits as I seat them.
That won't happen if you put the right sized plug in your expander die.

CM

Tatume
02-07-2015, 03:16 PM
I would be using cases already fired from my rifle, so chamber fitment is not an issue. ... These are both leverguns with lots of ammo in the tube ... Or should I just say the heck with it and full length resize my cases?

Chamber fitment may be an issue. Lever guns can be finicky. Neck sizing will not always work, as cartridges so loaded may be difficult to chamber. In order to function smoothly, some lever action rifles require full-length resizing.

I have a Savage 99 that will not function smoothly with full-length resized cases; it requires a small base sizing die. Cases prepared with an ordinary full-length sizing die will work, but only with some difficulty. I would not want to use them for any application in which a fast follow-up shot may be needed.

44man
02-07-2015, 03:43 PM
True, My Marlin does not need sized all the way but my brass will not go in other guns at all.

TXGunNut
02-07-2015, 04:07 PM
In my 38-55's I've been minimally resizing the cases after firing, new cases were FL resized. I only resize them until the case mouth is a thousandth or two smaller than my expander and my expander is a thousandth or two smaller than my boolits. My 38-55's are both leverguns so I like a little neck tension as well as a moderate crimp to prevent boolit setback.

45 2.1
02-07-2015, 04:58 PM

I would size my cases and pay attention to what was said in post #6 by MC..... darned good advice.

prs
02-07-2015, 06:17 PM
I am in the planning stages of a project, too long shelved, involving this exact variable. As long as your chamber will reasonably accept the fire formed brass and as long as your boolit's diameter is appropriately larger than the inside diameter of the fire formed brass, then you are in Heaven. No "neck" size or internal size dies needed other than a very slight bell so as not to scrape lead. Just enough crimp to unbell and get the case mouth tucked in a little in the crimp groove.

prs