PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love wyoming

reloader28
02-06-2015, 02:41 AM
Winds blowing pretty decent right now. I aint had the hard stuff that my neighbores have, though we just had a gust of 75.3mph. Others a couple miles away clocked over 94mph. With the warm temps here right now, it is set to really get with it tonight. The most I've clocked is 135mph, I hope we dont get that tonight. Its hard to sleep sometimes. Over in the canyon where my wife works, it can REALLY blow there. Destroyed a couple weather stations and literally rolled the pavement off the road. Thats hard to imagine, but its a fact.

Spring and fall are the worst with the weather changing so fast. I think the highest so far this winter was over Thanksgiving at 117mph. Cutting up my uncles elk, I thought he was going to butt) his pants. Just normal Clark Wyo weather. When the power went out, we lit 2 Coleman lamps until we needed to grind meat, then plugged in a generator though my battery bank would have worked.

I love and hate the wind. It makes it tough to test boolits and do any long range shooting, BUT it weeds out the weak hearted from moving here and keeps my wind generator gennin. I guess theres a plus to everything.

I hope the fire dept gets the fire out in the crick bottom trees. I've actually been on a call that the wind blew the fire out. (huge help) We did lose 1 house that night. I had to literally use 4 wheel drive against the head wind to go. Granted my tires were pretty slick then.

Anybody else getting wind this time of year?

John in WYO
02-06-2015, 02:50 AM
I've been waiting for the wind to quit on a weekend for 6 weeks so I can chronograph some loads.
20-40 mph just makes it too tough for me.

BUT, it keeps out the riff-raff.

You talked to Linebaugh lately?

How's your Dad?
The Legislature is going full swing, is he coming down?

reloader28
02-06-2015, 02:53 AM
John, if you live by that sign, I know you.
The older KD by the hatchery.

John in WYO
02-06-2015, 03:00 AM
Nope, but JL is a good friend. Check this old post: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?156107-Anyone-here-going-to-be-in-Cody-June-15-16-17&p=1750003#post1750003

You REALLY think Linebaugh would use a computer?
The world would end!

reloader28
02-06-2015, 03:07 AM
That was my second guess. I should have dug a little deeper. I recognized that avatar.
I remember that post. Next time up here, let me know. We'll run over there and meet proper.

I did a little pistol shooting today, but only managed to hit the paper plate at 15yds.

John in WYO
02-06-2015, 03:08 AM
I'm headed to bed.
Got to be at the Capitol at 10 am.
Sleep well, wind and all.
It helps to turn off your hearing aids.....

triggerhappy243
02-06-2015, 03:11 AM

Anybody else getting wind this time of year?[/QUOTE]

YES, EVERY TIME OBAMA OPENS HIS MOUTH.

reloader28
02-06-2015, 03:14 AM
I'm to young for hearings aids.

Trigger, now thats funny (and true).

MaryB
02-06-2015, 03:19 AM
I live on the prairie in MN, does it ever stop blowing? 15mph is a breeze here and 75mph gusts in winter and summer all to common. 90+ once a summer usually.

triggerhappy243
02-06-2015, 03:32 AM
54 years old, i wear aids in both ears... No one is too young for hearing aids.

reloader28
02-06-2015, 03:55 AM
54 years old, i wear aids in both ears... No one is too young for hearing aids.

Your 10 years older than me and I hope that I dont need them by your age. I think glasses for me are not far along though. My left eye is junk.[smilie=b:

rr2241tx
02-06-2015, 12:05 PM

triggerhappy243
02-06-2015, 12:23 PM
I needed them 15 years ago. Mostly due to loud noise.

Bodydoc447
02-06-2015, 12:29 PM
When I lived in Florida if the wind got to 75 mph they gave it a name. They do that in MT and WY, too. The names are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.........

reloader28
02-06-2015, 01:26 PM
^^^^^^^Thats funny right there.

John, Dads doing good. He aint said anything of coming to the capital, so I'm guessing no. Kinda busy here hatching out a pile of baby goats.

My brother and me were over to Linebaugh's a couple weeks ago. We gotta go harrass him once in a while and see what he's up to, keep him in a good mood.

runfiverun
02-06-2015, 01:28 PM
iv'e seen that wind sock, it was facing out about like that too.
every time I have to drive to casper or rock springs I try to time it to catch the winds from the west.
I once got 24 mpg in my jeep pulling a trailer..

my fuel mileage sucks coming home if I mis-time the trip, sometimes it's worth waiting an hour or two before heading out to gain those other 8 mpg in the truck.

MaLar
02-06-2015, 01:52 PM
Idaho has wind also. Maybe not like Wyoming though thank goodness.
Wind has been blowing here pretty good since yesterday.
We get wind good enough that you pick up shingles and fix the roof to often.

edler7
02-06-2015, 02:52 PM
Anybody else getting wind this time of year?]

In Kansas ? Not a chance.

I saw a chicken lay the same egg 3 times yesterday.

runfiverun
02-06-2015, 09:34 PM
^^^ now that's funny^^^
not to the chicken.

reloader28
02-07-2015, 06:15 PM
The wind has died down quite a bit at the moment.
We've had 114mph. I was in the canyon yesterday and dont know how fast it was blowing there, but it almost rolled my truck. I was trying to get pictures of the wind sucking the water right out of the river. Gust hit my truck from the side and I literally thought I was going over. Slammed it back down and I decided it was time to go home.
Sad thing is, the pictures didnt turn out to good either. The water would get blown right out of the river about 300-400ft high. I've never seen that happen before. It was like it was raining in reverse.

A couple campers got flipped over and a horse barn got blown over, but I think thats the extent of the damage other than small things. Part of our wind break got tore up.

triggerhappy243
02-07-2015, 06:21 PM
Vhs video camera......................................

StolzerandSons
02-07-2015, 11:03 PM
After living in Wyoming for over 20 years, the Kansas wind only bothers me when it comes is a swirling cloud.
BTW do you know why Wyoming is so windy? It's because Montana blows and Colorado sucks.

mexicanjoe
02-07-2015, 11:33 PM
People, please!!!!! Here in Gods country you can see and taste what you breathe! To the extent that I know most of Lubbock ,Texas soil is in the cotton field back of my house. I've had vehicle paint jobs ruined with the sand, not to mention unable to drive cause you couldn't see past the hood!!! Snow banks you say????? We have sand dunes on the highways( just drive twixt the reflector signs). Seriously though back in '09 we had range fires that reduced everything to dust, no greenery as far as the eye cn see! Most started by smokers tossin cigs out of car windows.

geargnasher
02-08-2015, 12:06 AM
Last time I was through Pecos it was, literally, raining reddish-brown mud from the sky. I think that's the first moisture they'd seen in six months. At least it was coming straight down, and not sideways like the dry stuff does. I never did get all the mud stains off the Toyota, it looks like chocolate milkshake exploded under the hood. I really do love west Texas, just not that particular part of it, I like it from the Davis mountains, south to about Mexico City.

Gear

TXGunNut
02-08-2015, 12:51 AM
My spot on the N TX prairie sees a bit of wind; had my roof replaced a few years back and the crew had spent some time in FL, they did it to hurricane standards. Should last awhile, I was getting tired of replacing the shingles half a bundle at a time.
I've been trying to build a metal workshop when winds allow, when the winds pick up we call our efforts "piloting experimental aircraft". Hope to get the roof on soon so I can start getting the electrical stuff done.

BLTsandwedge
02-08-2015, 06:00 PM
I love and hate the wind. It makes it tough to test boolits and do any long range shooting, BUT it weeds out the ******* from moving here and keeps my wind generator gennin. I guess theres a plus to everything.

I'll be the first to own up- I'm a wimp- I could not live there. I've got business in Jackson Hole this year...but in the summer. I don't like Pennsylvania winters ( I'm a Californian) let alone what you folks face. Having said that, your state is profound.

With sincere respect.....

reloader28
02-08-2015, 09:22 PM
Well we heard they are calling for another high wind warning starting tomorrow morning til Tuesday night. That means it will probly hit us tonight about midnight. When its going to blow hard, it usually starts between midnight and 1am.

Uh oh, just as I posted this, I heard the wind generator start spinning again.

30Carbine
02-08-2015, 09:32 PM
You can keep the wind it comes from you and goes by me and straight to maryb's

DanWalker
02-08-2015, 09:37 PM
I live in Casper. Wind hardly blows at all. Every once in a while a cinder block or semi truck might go rolling by out back when the breeze picks up a bit, but other than that ya hardly even notice....

reloader28
02-08-2015, 09:53 PM
Glad you have it so nice down there, Dan.:kidding:

dakotashooter2
02-08-2015, 09:56 PM
Make sure your lead is tied down..............:)

Tent camped in Wyoming once. For some reason I used all my guy lines that night. Instinct proved me right. When I got up in the morning it became obvious why you don't want to use a Walmart tent in that country. all the cheap one were lying on the ground torn up......

MaryB
02-08-2015, 11:04 PM
Wind picking up here but I haven't looked at the forecast. Was nice today so I checked all the solar panel bolts to make sure they were tight and picked up some stuff that had blown in. Gained 3 new garbage cans this winter of nobody claims them from the front yard where I put them. Few kids balls and parts of a toy airplane...

triggerhappy243
02-08-2015, 11:08 PM
When you find a cessna 172... Its mine. Still cant remember where i put it.

dk17hmr
02-08-2015, 11:23 PM
It was a 2.5 Mils into the wind kind of day today at the 1000 yard line.....sometimes you need to go out in the wind to stay humble.

kevmc
02-09-2015, 09:25 AM
Reminds me of a poem...by Baxter Black...IIRC..
Title was "The wind don't blow in Wyo."........
I'll have to look it up.....

Lively Boy
02-09-2015, 01:30 PM
http://www.thefencepost.com/article/20100503/NEWS/100509992

kevmc
02-09-2015, 03:04 PM
http://www.thefencepost.com/article/20100503/NEWS/100509992

That's the one!!

MT Gianni
02-09-2015, 11:47 PM
A while back a neighbor has his hanger turn over and land on the interstate, ruined the plane inside. http://www.kbzk.com/news/plane-damaged-hanger-blown-away-onto-interstate-near-whitehall-exit/

A friend who is not given to joking much says he has hated the last three weeks, he sees a cow with her tail straight out and cannot tell if she is calving or just the wind.

MtGun44
02-10-2015, 12:56 AM
I love Wyoming, have a new family member from there and have been
vacationing in the mountains and parks for over 40 years.

BUT - I don't really want to deal with their winters any more.

Bill