PDA

View Full Version : Roadrunner has a sense of humor.

DLCTEX
02-06-2015, 02:00 AM
Last week I heard my son's two german shepards agressively barking for some time, so checked it out. A roadrunner was walking back and fourth along their fence unafraid of their furious barking. This continued for some time. The next day they were raising a rucous again, and the bird was on top of the storage shed, looking down at the birds for a while. He then flew into a tree outside their yard until they gave up and went to lie in the shade on the other side of the house. The bird flew down, walked to the dog's food dishes, and helped himself to dog food for a while. He then walked into view of the dogs, then made his bruup noise get the dog's attention, and flew to the storage shed as they made their attack. They barked for a while and then tired of it and went to the porch to lie down. The bird flew down near them, then flew over the fence when they rushed him. Once there he waiked back and fourth for a while watching the dogs verbaly attacking. It was plain to see the bird knew their limitations and was having his fun. Son now feeds only what the dogs will clean up quickly and Pisano has moved on. I wonder if that is why I hear the neighbor's dog barks so much now?

Plate plinker
02-06-2015, 05:55 AM
Safety off - align sights - depress trigger. Problem solved.

leftiye
02-06-2015, 07:04 AM
Shoot, dispose, post. (kinda like SSS)

Ola
02-06-2015, 07:57 AM
So roadrunner is a REAL bird? I thought it was just a cartoon figure..:-P

Please make all of us roadrunner-haters a favor and feed it to a coyote! It's about time.

bikerbeans
02-06-2015, 08:06 AM
Wilco must not have read this thread because he hasn't started a coyote versus roadrunner poll.;) Good thing that bird left before Wiley blew up your garage with an ACME missle.

BB

Thumbcocker
02-06-2015, 09:41 AM
Sounds kinda like a Mocking bird attitude.

bob208
02-06-2015, 09:51 AM
when packages from acme corp. show up. check your credit card your dogs mite have gotten hold of it.

10x
02-06-2015, 11:43 AM
when packages from acme corp. show up. check your credit card your dogs mite have gotten hold of it.

This ^^^^^^^^

if your dogs do not go the ACME route on the bird, and the bird keeps tormenting the dogs it is time for the road runner to out run a cast bullet...
or make the order to ACME yourself...

TheDoctor
02-06-2015, 11:45 AM
Definately sounds like a mocking bird in disguise. We have several nests, and one bird in particular gives one of my dogs a hard time. Doesn't ness with the rest of them. No legal way to do anything about it, unless I would get a cat. Don't think the dogs would like that one little bit.

farmerjim
02-06-2015, 11:50 AM
What do they taste like?

Thumbcocker
02-06-2015, 11:50 AM
I have seen a pair of Mocking birds drive a cat to distraction even going so far as to fly down and yank on his fur. Mrs. Thumbcocker informs that Roadrunners are in the same family as Mocking birds.

John Allen
02-06-2015, 11:53 AM

Echo
02-06-2015, 12:06 PM
Well, they DO nibble (well, gulp!) baby quail, and they will eat anything including lizards (that we like cause they eat insects), but I kinda like seeing them around. They've been sorta scarce for sometime around here - used to see them daily, but not for many years. Civilization is encroaching...

LUBEDUDE
02-06-2015, 01:19 PM
When I lived on a ranch in Denton, TX about 35 yrs ago, we had a pair that lived in our front yard.

They were really cool birds to watch and have around. They were always up to something. They may have felt comfortable close to house since we had peacocks.

I really enjoy coming across one every now and then out here in East Texas.

montana_charlie
02-06-2015, 03:21 PM
Well, they DO nibble (well, gulp!) baby quail, and they will eat anything including lizards (that we like cause they eat insects), but I kinda like seeing them around. They've been sorta scarce for sometime around here - used to see them daily, but not for many years. Civilization is encroaching...
They aren't shy about rattlesnakes, either ...
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/untamed-americas/videos/roadrunner-vs-rattlesnake/

LynC2
02-06-2015, 04:59 PM
Heck, I would be putting out extra food for the roadrunner! Neat birds in my book. Like has been said, they eat rattlesnakes among other things. Every once and awhile one shows up in my back yard and one year when there was a big snow I put out a piece of raw meat out for it. Needless to say, it didn't last long. I really like birds of prey, but I don't raise chickens either! I just wish they would eat all the %&*$ pigeons around here. :evil:

BTW, being a Texan by birth I like mockingbirds too!

DLCTEX
02-06-2015, 11:54 PM
I have seen roadrunners attack snakes too big for them to eat, so I think they, like me, just don't like them. Yes, as a kid I spent a lot of time hidden to watch wildlife. So I respect the Roadrunnerand will never shoot one without a lot more provocation than making the dogs bark. I had never heard that they are related to mockingbirds, but the attitude fits. I have witnessed their dive bomber attacks on cats and have never seen the cat win.

doc1876
02-07-2015, 01:14 AM
and people say animals are dumb.

popper
02-07-2015, 01:25 PM
Related to Cuckoos.