PDA

View Full Version : synthetic grease

softpoint
02-28-2008, 10:19 AM
Has anyone used one of the synthetic greases either alone or blended with other ingredients for bullet lube?(slick 50 comes to mind, there are others) The stuff seems to retain it's consistency over a broad temperature range, and it's about the slickest stuff there is. :lovebooli

felix
02-28-2008, 10:44 AM
Yes, but some are not compatible with what we use to clean the barrels. This means you can possibly get a build up of "lube" remains that you cannot get out. Then, if you cannot get the remains out, the lands get less tall in effect. Be careful, and test the lube outside of the gun over several weeks. ... felix

grouch
02-28-2008, 12:10 PM
I've tried Canadian Tire's synthetic grease - it did nothing spectacular for me. Had much better success with their moly grease - 30 - 06 and 150gr Lee ww+2%tin (water dropped) to 2500fps with 43gr H4895, and no leading. I get better accuracy with lighter loads and other powder, but this would certainly work as a deer hunting load. I've been using this lube for 20yrs or so, and to this point have found nothing better.

Johnch
02-28-2008, 07:16 PM
I used a Syn grease with candle wax to make it stiffer for several years in the rifle

Worked well but it stunk when fired and produced more smoke than Larr's lube I am currently using

When I used up what I had in the sizer 2 or 3 years back
I cleaned it out ( PITA ) and switched

John