PDA

View Full Version : Cast rifle bullets loaded backwards? Anyone tried it?

destrux
02-05-2015, 04:37 PM
While searching for subsonic loads that will function and cycle in an unmodified AKM I came across this website...http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/762ProjectRifle.html

He was loading jacketed boat tail bullets backwards in subsonic loadings (for several reasons, read the link). Apparently it worked well for him.

I wonder how this would work with a cast bullet? I was interested in loading the Lee 230GR blackout bullet into a 7.62x39 case till I realized the nose was just too long to fit in an AK magazine when loaded forward with the driving bands in the case neck. Backwards though.... the boat tail on the bullet becomes an asset to feeding and the long nose helps take up empty space inside the casing.

My only thought is leading. I'm powdercoating them but I'm not sure that will be enough to stop leading when the driving bands are the first thing entering the bore instead of the last.

Before I spend any more time considering this crazy idea I wanted to see what you all thought, and see if maybe anyone here has tried it.

runfiverun
02-05-2015, 05:41 PM
you might could get away with it using the powder coating.
I'd be a bit concerned with the accuracy but the rifle might not be all that accurate to begin with [shrug]

coffeeguy
02-05-2015, 09:07 PM
As long as it enters straight on, I don't see where there would be much of a difference; judging by the picture the driving bands wouldn't be the first thing to enter the bore; the boat tail would...I guess it would be kind of like a truncated cone-style boolit. Depending on where the center of gravity is, it could possibly tumble, but there's only one way to find out! Have fun and keep us posted!

Sgt Petro
02-05-2015, 09:13 PM
Keep us posted. People have been turning around pistol bullets for a long time. I don't see why this wouldn't work, as long as you're not looking for extreme accuracy.

badbob454
02-05-2015, 11:50 PM
just make sure the base is tapered ,like the boattail or a bevel base.. so a flat base doesnt get hung up and increase pressures on the way out...

destrux
02-06-2015, 12:51 AM
I'll give it a try then. I'm out of bullets right now so I'll have to cast this weekend.

Artful
02-06-2015, 01:00 AM
What's the twist rate on you AKM? - if it's not fast enough for a long bullet/boolit it won't stabilize forward or backwards.

fyi Suputin on http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103 same guy

another link for you
http://guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane1.html

truckjohn
02-06-2015, 04:53 PM
Remember that folks were doing this to have a flat-nose hunting bullet for up-close work.... It's not all that hard to get 1.5" groups at 25 yards with nearly anything you do...

They do this to pack a big whollop because the pointy-nose bullets just pencil right through... You also really don't care if the bullet tumbles when you are shooting up close... In fact - tumbling on impact may increase lethality when you are talking 25 yard shots and 700 fps....

Now, as you stretch things out - it gets a lot more complicated.... You start to care about a 1.5" 25 yard group turning into 1-FOOT at 100 yards because of unstable flight (wobble and tumble)... You start worrying about rainbow trajectories and judging your distance right...

Another thing folks did for up-close work was to take a pair of end-clippers and lop off the end of the bullet... It gives you a real nice flat-nose that hits HARD... and accuracy effects due to bullet destabilization at under 50 yards isn't that critical.... Once again - 1 or 2" groups = still deadly...

So... If you are going to do it up close - who cares, go for it...

texassako
02-06-2015, 05:50 PM
Don't forget that big ole bullet is going to take up quite a bit of powder space when loaded backwards. A proper length mold for your rifle would be better IMO.