PDA

View Full Version : picture of bullet mold for faster twist muzzleloaders.

johnson1942
02-05-2015, 03:53 PM
if you go to castboolits on this site and look under the heading, a couple of pics of old school boolits. newton posted a picture of a bullet design i had made into a mold. now we found out it is not a new design but was made during the civil war. the front is a bore rider and the back is shaped like a attached round ball. it is .50 cal and the back part is patched and the front rides the bore. it weighs 535 grains and is extreemly accurate. a real freight train out of a fast twist muzzle loader. my barrel is 1.28 twist. 36 inches long. .50 cal. steve brooks made the mold for me.

masscaster
02-07-2015, 11:09 AM
Yes, most definitely.
The early multiple cavity bag moulds for .45 caliber or larger were made with a ball on the Top, and a conical on the bottom (or the other way depending on how it's flipped). A hole was drilled from the ball side down into the conical cavity, thus giving a longer and larger boolit.
A plate was placed on the ball side (led to the sprue cutter being invented) and was poured as normal.
They found that the stem had to be at least 1/2 the diameter of the ball to withstand loading and firing pressures.

I have a Lyman Mould from the '70's that is Maxi on one side, and a .490 ball on the other. It has sprue cutters for both cavities. ; )

This is mould history at it's finest. Thanks for the post johnson1942.

Jeff

Good Cheer
02-07-2015, 09:05 PM
if you go to castboolits on this site and look under the heading, a couple of pics of old school boolits. newton posted a picture of a bullet design i had made into a mold. now we found out it is not a new design but was made during the civil war. the front is a bore rider and the back is shaped like a attached round ball. it is .50 cal and the back part is patched and the front rides the bore. it weighs 535 grains and is extreemly accurate. a real freight train out of a fast twist muzzle loader. my barrel is 1.28 twist. 36 inches long. .50 cal. steve brooks made the mold for me.

That mold design is brilliant. Would love to have one in .58.

johnson1942
02-07-2015, 10:02 PM
i am considering selling this .50 cal one, it is for a .50 cal 1/28 twist rife. and good cheer if you pm me your name and address and the twist of your .58 cal rifle i will draw up a perfect blue print for you to use to send to a mold maker of your choise. if your .58 cal has a fast enough twist this type of bullet would drop elephants. also dont worry about recoil as the bigger the bore the the gas is dissappated more and the less the recoil is.

Good Cheer
02-10-2015, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the offer. Will have to figger out the bore diameter after things get unpacked.
Yep... relocation.