PDA

View Full Version : 336-357 maximum

bikerbeans
02-04-2015, 08:30 PM
I am just finishing converting a 336-35 rem to 357 maximum. Work consisted of the following;

Install a 1894cs 357 barrel on the 336 action

Rework the 35 rem bolt face to accept the 357 barrel.

Modify the extractor and extractor groove to work with the 357 casehead.

Installed a cartridge stop on the carrier to allow cycling a 1.95" OAL cartridge

Adjust the length of the Mag tube to work with shorter 357 barrel

Ream the 357 barrel to 357 max

Will try and post pics tomorrow and hopefully target pics next week. All work was performed by me but I had helpful suggestions from several marlin LG owners.

BB

richhodg66
02-04-2015, 08:36 PM
Interesting, but why would you change from one .35 caliber cartridge to another one that is slightly less powerful and (arguably, I supposed) not as versatile?

bikerbeans
02-04-2015, 08:38 PM
Couple of pics

Hickory
02-04-2015, 08:47 PM
Interesting, but why would you change from one .35 caliber cartridge to another one that is slightly less powerful and (arguably, I supposed) not as versatile?
I'm only guessing, but if bikerbeans lives in Ohio the 35 Rem is not legal to hunt deer with and the 357 Max is legal.
But I'm only guessin'

richhodg66
02-04-2015, 09:29 PM
I'm only guessing, but if bikerbeans lives in Ohio the 35 Rem is not legal to hunt deer with and the 357 Max is legal.
But I'm only guessin'

Ahhhh, good reason, then. Very nice looking rifle, by the way. The more I think about it, the .357 Max comes real close to the .35 and you'd be able to use .357 and .38 Special loads in it too.

bikerbeans
02-04-2015, 09:39 PM
Main reason for the conversion is I like to have rifles that are a bit different. It also turns out that building this 357 was cheaper than buying a used pre-safety 1894 in 357 mag. As hickory stated this rifle is now legal for deer in Ohio but I am more likely to shoot squirrels or groundhogs with this one. My. 444s is the go to deer rifle.

BB

TXGunNut
02-04-2015, 09:49 PM
Is 357 Maximum brass any easier to find than 35 Rem? That could be a good enough excuse right there. Looks good, looking forward to a range report.

bikerbeans
02-04-2015, 11:17 PM
I can buy new 357 max brass. GRUMPA was the only source I could find for 35 rem brass. His 35 rem brass worked very well in my 336.

BB

ratboy
02-05-2015, 12:30 AM
I am just finishing converting a 336-35 rem to 357 maximum. Work consisted of the following;

Install a 1894cs 357 barrel on the 336 action

Rework the 35 rem bolt face to accept the 357 barrel.

Modify the extractor and extractor groove to work with the 357 casehead.

Installed a cartridge stop on the carrier to allow cycling a 1.95" OAL cartridge

Adjust the length of the Mag tube to work with shorter 357 barrel

Ream the 357 barrel to 357 max

Will try and post pics tomorrow and hopefully target pics next week. All work was performed by me but I had helpful suggestions from several marlin LG owners.

BB

i am still working on the marlin jam problem with mine since the 357 case heads are a fair amount smaller than the 30-30 case heads.
trying to decide if i want to bend the lifter or modify the tip of it. was going to put a smaller magazine tube on it but then realized i would have to rework the plunger and stop.
shoots well tho.:p

bhn22
02-05-2015, 10:21 AM
I was going to build one on a 94 Winchester. I think a 357 gun could be converted pretty easily since most of the hard stuff would already be done, like the bolt face. I didn't find a suitable donor rifle before Winchester prices got crazy. I'm thinking a rechamber and either cutting back the stop on the lifter, or replacing it with one from a longer caliber might have gotten me a good start. Please let us know how this comes out, it's a really neat project.

bikerbeans
02-05-2015, 10:44 AM
Ratboy,

The only modification I made to eliminate the double feed was to install a cartridge stop on the top of the carrier. This stop is a roll pin installed a half inch in front of the rocker on the top of the carrier. The pin is aligned vertically and is trimmed short enough not to interfere with bolt travel. This pin effectively limits the usable OAL of a cartridge to 2 inches. I will try and remember to take and post a pic of the carrier.

BB

ratboy
02-05-2015, 09:57 PM
Ratboy,

The only modification I made to eliminate the double feed was to install a cartridge stop on the top of the carrier. This stop is a roll pin installed a half inch in front of the rocker on the top of the carrier. The pin is aligned vertically and is trimmed short enough not to interfere with bolt travel. This pin effectively limits the usable OAL of a cartridge to 2 inches. I will try and remember to take and post a pic of the carrier.

BB

i modified the cartridge stop when i first built it. it was doing fine at feeding from the tube for a while then when i thought i
had it all sorted out and functioning fine it started bulk feeding. thought at first it felt left out because the 25-20 was starting to jam on me that day but it continued to do it the next week i had it at the range. i was never mean enough to it to have bent the lifter so i am not entirely sure what changed. figured it i was going in again i might as well see if i could fix it in a way to avoid future problems.
i think i am going to bend the lifter slightly and see what happens. i dont want to go too far and cause a feeding problem on the chamber side but i am not sure what else to do without actually modifying the timing.

bikerbeans
02-06-2015, 08:18 AM
Randyrat,

Interesting, did you change your ammo? My rifle is very sensitive to changes in OAL. Did you have to modify the 30-30 breech bolt?

BB

ratboy
02-06-2015, 09:36 PM
Randyrat,

Interesting, did you change your ammo? My rifle is very sensitive to changes in OAL. Did you have to modify the 30-30 breech bolt?
BB

i used a 35 remington bolt however i think i could have used the 30-30 bolt.
i did the same modifications to the bolt that you said you did.
had to do some milling on the top of the bolt to close fully on the 357 barrel.
i dont know if it is sensitive to oal as i have a supermag revolver and i just use the same load for the rifle and
have not tried anything else.
i am a bit befuddled. i didnt change anything that i am aware of. i have not been able to continue testing since the state range
is now closed until march. i did remove the scope and install a peep?
i built the rifle as a experiment anyways and mostly to have a lever gun to go with the revolver so its just more
range time for testing. ill figure it out.

it was a 30as 30-30 when it left the factory.
so mine has a fore end cap instead of a band but it looks like yours.

cowboybart
02-12-2015, 10:13 AM
Nice rifle.
I'm trying to figure out the logic of the OH politicians when they thought it was a good idea to make the 35 Rem illegal for deer :veryconfu. I realize OH used to be a shotgun only state and anything is an improvement, but why draw the line for the 35 rem and not the 444??

ballistim
02-12-2015, 10:57 AM
I wish the 444 was legal in southern MI, as it is I am working on using a shortened 45-70, we are only allowed to use straight-wall pistol cartridges with a case length 1.80" or less, want to use my Marlin Guide Gun next year where I live.

bikerbeans
02-14-2015, 07:31 PM
Logic is not part of the DNR's decision making process. The proposed rule changes for this year include adding the 450 marlin to the list. I think maybe a CO got a good deal on a 1895M at his lgs?:bigsmyl2:

BB

Nice rifle.
I'm trying to figure out the logic of the OH politicians when they thought it was a good idea to make the 35 Rem illegal for deer :veryconfu. I realize OH used to be a shotgun only state and anything is an improvement, but why draw the line for the 35 rem and not the 444??

ballistim
02-14-2015, 07:59 PM
Logic is not part of the DNR's decision making process. The proposed rule changes for this year include adding the 450 marlin to the list. I think maybe a CO got a good deal on a 1895M at his lgs?:bigsmyl2:

BB

OK, that is strange! Why not the 444 or the 45-70? I guess I'm not smart enough to understand their thinking.. maybe you're right! Could be Remington kicked in a donation to boost lagging sales of the 450 Marlin [emoji6]