PDA

View Full Version : Muzzleloading pistol or revolver which

jednorris
02-04-2015, 06:05 PM
I really enjoy shooting both but what do yall think gives the best entertainment for young shoots.

RogerDat
02-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Not any sort of huge experience to draw on but back when I had both I was always more comfortable with the single shot ML because there was no chance of cross over fire as there was with a revolver. But the prices are competitive between the two and both are a lot of fun.

coffeeguy
02-04-2015, 06:24 PM
Revolver...More activity with loading, 5/6 shots between loadings, and pure Wild West factor. By 'entertainment' do you mean watching, or a youngster doing the shooting? Single-shot would be great for learning the mechanics of how they work, but they might get bored with having to go through the loading sequence after each 'bang'.

mooman76
02-04-2015, 07:17 PM
I'd say single shot also to start out with the basics.

docone31
02-04-2015, 07:35 PM
Definite revolver. .44 open top, Navy, '60. Get some molds, cast em, Load em, and fire away.
Well worth the effort.

waksupi
02-04-2015, 08:31 PM
I like the single shot. Fewer things to break.

rodwha
02-04-2015, 08:47 PM
For a youngster I'd also vote revolver as it's doubtful many will appreciate reloading after each bang, and a revolver just has more cool factor. But a single shot would make a more fundemental instrument. So it really depends on the child in question.

Even my friends in their later 30's to 50's don't appreciate loading my revolvers as they are used to bottom feeders or even modern cartridges. I ended up making paper cartridges with cigarette papers to speed it up which helps as it's the period of time between shooting that tends to cause the loss of interest. Glad I'm not always in a hurry...

Baja_Traveler
02-04-2015, 08:52 PM
I don't think I'd ever give up my stainless Ruger Old Army...

bubba.50
02-04-2015, 09:44 PM
for learnin' the ropes probably single-shot. but with the short attention spans of the now generation the revolver would have more goin' on so it might be a better choice.

M-Tecs
02-04-2015, 10:49 PM
I really enjoy shooting both but what do yall think gives the best entertainment for young shoots.

For entertainment for young shoots revolvers hands down. Love my SS Ruger Old Army but young shooter seem to love the 36 cals like the 51 Navies.

GhostHawk
02-04-2015, 11:18 PM
Revolver!

I had a single shot, traded it off.
Ended up a few years later with a Pietta, I think it is an Army as it has the solid top strap.
I like the navy's but I don't think they are as accurate.

Eventually just cleaning the thing after a session made it not worth the effort.

But, there is something to be said about a black powder revolver.
Many enjoyable hours all in all and I still have it.

ratboy
02-05-2015, 12:52 AM
I like the single shot. Fewer things to break.
you mean clean?

;)

waksupi
02-05-2015, 02:36 AM
you mean clean?

;)
No, I used to shoot revolvers a lot, including a lot of quick draw stuff, back in the day. They just plain will not stand up to heavy use. Lots of broken springs, and timing issues show up.

ratboy
02-05-2015, 10:22 PM
No, I used to shoot revolvers a lot, including a lot of quick draw stuff, back in the day. They just plain will not stand up to heavy use. Lots of broken springs, and timing issues show up.
figured you had good reason. i just started shooting competetivly and usually dont look forward to cleaning the revolvers. not that it is really that hard. the single shot is much easier to live with but i have to do percussion, flint and revolver if i want to shoot all the aggregates.

waksupi
02-06-2015, 02:53 AM
figured you had good reason. i just started shooting competetivly and usually dont look forward to cleaning the revolvers. not that it is really that hard. the single shot is much easier to live with but i have to do percussion, flint and revolver if i want to shoot all the aggregates.

Around here if you use a revolver in competition, you can only load one chamber at a time. Some local pilgrim managed to shoot himself a few years ago putting his away in a shoulder holster at one of the shoots. I don't know of anyone using revolvers for competition in this area any more, and they never were real popular in this area.

JeffG
02-07-2015, 12:11 AM
I have both and think a single shot pistol. It looks older anmore func for me personally and I think you pay more attention come shooting time so you don't waste shots. 50 rounds can make for a full day if you are having a relaxing shoot with friends using single shot.