PDA

View Full Version : Good Reminder About Shipping Primed Brass

1989toddm
02-03-2015, 10:33 PM
The story below is copied from another site. Not my story but I thought it worthy to repost as some may not be aware.

Ever ship primed brass through USPS???? Well, I just had a conversation with Nik Davrados the other day before he almost shipped out some primed brass. Little did he know how close he came to a shutdown. This is NOT going to be short, but well worthwhile...... Up until a few months back, I never thought twice about shipping out brass where there were some primed brass in the mix. I truly thought they were okay via USPS or UPS. Then one day I was yapping with Wes Sage out in WA and he told me DON'T do that. He proceeded to tell me a story about a local guy he knew that shipped some brass with some primed ones in the mix. The box broke, the postal inspector got it, and confronted him. He didn't know the rules! So he was slapped with a huge fine, can't remember if it was $15,000 or $50,000, but it was a bunch of house payments!! On top of that he is facing some jail time. Well, that was enough for me. I stopped doing it. the other day when Nik was going to ship his brass and I shared the same story, so he didn't. Well.....this was an eye opener for me, guys. What happens next will scare the Be Jesus out of you. Last Friday night I boxed up 9 packages of brass, scheduled a pickup for Saturday morning, printed the labels, and set them out on the front step for the carrier. Early Saturday morning I get woken up out of a dead sleep by my phone. It is the U.S. Postmaster, and wants to talk to Mark Claessens from Big Dog Brass. He said and I quote, "Mr. Claessens, I am going to ask you one question and I want you to give me the straight up truthful answer. And don't lie to me. I see you are shipping out 9 boxes today: are there any live rounds of ammunition in there?" I said no. He then said, "Are there any primers or brass casings with live primers in them?" I said no. He asked me if I have EVER.....EVER at ANY time shipped out a live round of ammo or a live primer. I said never a live round, but truthfully I had shipped brass with live primers before. I didn't want to lie. Then I told him the story that Wes told me and he said I should thank Wes for saving me from some fines and jail time. VERY SERIOUS!!! He then asked me this, "Okay, if I open up every single package that you are shipping today, will I find even ONE live primer in there?" I said, "No. I will never ship a live primer again as long as I live and have not since my discussion with Wes back before Christmas." He said he may check them anyway. THEN he asked this, "How about this package being delivered to you from Nik Davrados, will there be any live ammo or live primers in there?" I told him NO. Well, they opened up Nik's package and checked it and then re-sealed it and delivered it. So had I NOT had that talk with NIk, whom I love deeply, Nik would now be facing possibly $50,000 in fines and up to 90 days in jail. Period. No apologies. He further said to me, "Your name has come up over here and I can't tell you who said what. But I needed to ask and check." MAN, I would love to know who would report me like that!!!!! The point is that the postal service is on the watch, guys. They really do care and they care a LOT about this stuff. You can NOT ship any primers that have not been detonated. Period. And no live ammo. We all need to play by the rules, guys. It will be no picnic if you are caught. I don't know how much "profit" i have made over the past couple of years, as this is not how I earn a living. It is fun for me and gives me some extra money for reloading. But I can assure all of you that those fines would put me in the ground and FAR outweigh any pennies I have earned selling brass. And the jail time would not only kill me, but my real estate career would be over. Oh, one last and funny thing. After he got through with all the questions he complimented me on the thoroughness of my answers and my knowledge of reloading components and how they function. Then he asks, "So, do you ever run across any .30 Remington brass? I reload a bunch of calibers and am in need of a bunch of those." So I sent him my entire inventory list of over 100,000 cases of brass in 184 calibers that I stock and at his request, I put him on my waiting list for the 30 Remington!!! Now how cool is that??? You know what would be cooler? Is if a bunch of you were thankful for me sharing this and helped me find this U.S. Postmaster 100 of the .30 Remington. I will gladly just give them to him and pay it forward. Honestly. now....I am done. Look forward to hearing thoughts from y'all. And I think I will copy and paste this to a couple other groups, as I had planned on sharing this anyway.

bhn22
02-03-2015, 10:42 PM
It is totally illegal to ship primed brass or loaded ammo USPS. You can do it through UPS of FedEx when properly identified as ORM-D, small arms ammunition.

seaboltm
02-03-2015, 10:47 PM
I have bought a lot of ammo on line. Shipped ups.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/packaging/guidelines/ammunition.html

I avoid usps for guns or ammo.

zuke
02-04-2015, 08:10 AM
Primed brass is classified the same as live ammo

dudel
02-04-2015, 10:43 AM
I ordered 300Blk primed brass from MidSouth two weeks ago, and it came FedEx without a hazmat fee.

tazman
02-04-2015, 11:24 AM
There have been several times I have ordered range brass from individuals on this site and had either primed cases or live rounds show up among the rest. I don't remember who it was and I am certain it wasn't deliberate but it does happen.
Since I haven't shipped any brass, ever, it hasn't been an issue for me but it is a good thing to know.

wcp4570
02-04-2015, 01:25 PM
I did not know that about USPS. I just assumed that since mail order did not charge hazmat for primed brass it was ok. Thanks for sharing the valuable bit of info. I did a trade with BrassMagnet about a year ago and offered primed brass and he told me to deprime before sending, my guess is he knew something that I didn't.

wcp

Beagle333
02-04-2015, 01:39 PM
Very interesting..... thanks for the post.

Hamish
02-04-2015, 01:45 PM
Thank you!

Walter Laich
02-04-2015, 01:52 PM
Great news to wake up to! Kinda puts a crimp in the day.
Thanks for the heads-up. Will share with my club (I'm the newsletter ed)

NoAngel
02-04-2015, 02:26 PM
If this is true, and I believe you guys, how is it I order primed hulls from BPI and have yet to pay hazmat fees?

selmerfan
02-04-2015, 02:57 PM
Loaded ammunition and primed brass (same classification) do NOT require a hazmat fee - primers and powder that are NOT assembled into ammunition require a hazmat fee. Live ammo can be shipped via UPS and Fed-Ex with the ORM-D small arms designation on the outside of the package and it doesn't cost anymore than shipping the same weight and size of any other item.

theperfessor
02-04-2015, 03:00 PM
If it can go bang it can't go in the mail. Period.

seaboltm
02-04-2015, 05:07 PM
If it can go bang it can't go in the mail. Period.

Yep, another the reason the government backed usps can't compete with ups and fedex.

shoot-n-lead
02-04-2015, 05:17 PM
Yep, another the reason the government backed usps can't compete with ups and fedex.

BULL...USPS kills those mentioned, in my business experience. I will not use the others.

DLCTEX
02-04-2015, 05:26 PM
Then you may not ship primed brass, loaded ammo, or a host of other things.

Jayhawkhuntclub
02-04-2015, 11:22 PM
The USPS should spend more time finding the packages they lose and less time harassing customers. Oh the stories I could tell. BTW, delivery confirmation does not guarantee the package will be delivered to the right address. It just guarantees that it will be delivered. Don't ask how I know this. :groner:
I didn't know you couldn't ship live ammo via USPS. I assumed that it doesn't require a hazmat the USPS would be fine. Not an issue as I've never shipped live ammo. But good to know.